Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailing My Black Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing My Black Car?

first im probably going to clean with
1. Dish washing soap to strip the wax from my car.
2. dry car
3. spray lubricant or apply car washing soap with a mit and apply small sections at a time to use the clay bar.
4.rewash car.
5. Finally use mother's or meguirs 3 step system.

Did I cover everything for a descent detail? Im applying all my hand. How long will this take?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jsak
first im probably going to clean with
1. Dish washing soap to strip the wax from my car.
2. dry car
3. spray lubricant or apply car washing soap with a mit and apply small sections at a time to use the clay bar.
4.rewash car.
5. Finally use mother's or meguirs 3 step system.

Did I cover everything for a descent detail? Im applying all my hand. How long will this take?
Don't wash your car with dish washing soap. Wash the car with normal car wash, then go over the paint with some wax/grease remover to take the tar off of it. Clay the areas that feel rough, not the whole car. Usually those three step systems require you to use a cleaner wax first. After you've gone the distance of tar removing and claying, the odds of you needing to do this are pretty slim. Just use the next two and you should have some pretty decent results.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will have to disagree with Eddie. I am a member of Meguiars and we highly recommend using the dishwashing detergent. It strips all of the old wax and whatever else on the paint off. Claying the whold car is up to you. I usually clay the whole damn thing. I quicker route is to wash the car, make sure the section still has soap on it and use that soap as a lubricant to clay. You kill two birds with on stone. Which Meguairs products are you using?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

USE dawn dish detergent to wash the car prior to claying the car and after you clay it. The Dawn will strip off the wax and then completely clean the residue and contaminates from claying the paint.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I am going to use the three step system but I havent look into it that much yet. Can you help me out on picking the right detailing products from autozone or any other autoshop. Also show the steps used to have a great exterior detail. PLEASE!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99monguse
USE dawn dish detergent to wash the car prior to claying the car and after you clay it. The Dawn will strip off the wax and then completely clean the residue and contaminates from claying the paint.

Use it before. The clay will take off the rest...
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jsak
I am going to use the three step system but I havent look into it that much yet. Can you help me out on picking the right detailing products from autozone or any other autoshop. Also show the steps used to have a great exterior detail. PLEASE!
You cant do the step process with Autozone stuff. You have to use Meguiars professional line. You can order from Meguairs.com. If the car is really beaten up, start with the #83. Go to the #82 after that. Then do the NXT for protection. All in all, it is a 5 step process in which is decribed on meguiars.com. In the Vette, I started with the #82 and then the NXT. You dont have to start with the harsh product first. Do the light stuff and see if you get the results that you are looking for.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Why are you guys using Dawn? If you're going to polish your vehicle, the wax will be stripped away anyway. Yes, Dawn will strip wax and contaminants...but there are much products out there for you to use which are MUCH easier on your paint.

I personally always use a pre-polish cleaner after a good wash (with my regular car soap) and then I clay bar the entire vehicle. The pre-polish cleaner not only will take all of the contaminants out of the paint but it will also leave your paint with a clean, smooth and slick surface. Dawn can never do that.

My process is as listed below:

Wash with regular car soap

Clay entire vehicle

Wash with regular car soap

Pre-polish paint cleaner

Polish with a medium pad for a regular maintained/swirl job

Apply carnauba wax for shine or a heavier duty wax for a daily driver

My favorite combo for black is as follows in a detailed process/list of products:

Wash with Sheep Skin Mitt & Optimum Car Wash

Clay with Four Star Detailing Clay using .5 oz Optimum Car Wash to a 16 oz spray bottle of water for lube

Wash with Sheep Skin Mitt & Optimum Car Wash to remove residual clay from car

Moderate swirl removal -
Menzerna SIP or IP with a Orange med. aggressive or White polishing pad. The pad needed will depend on the severity of the swirls - do a test spot to determine which pad will be needed. Use Porter Cable 7224 buffer on speed 5.5

Finishing/light swirl removal -
On black, the best finishing polish in my opinion is Menzerna finishing polish (FPII) - nothing I've used finishes down as well as Menzerna. Use Porter Cable 7224 buffer on speed 5.5 and a white polishing pad

Protection -
I always use a good carnauba on black such as Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax or P21S Concourse-Look Carnauba Paste Wax. It may not last as long as a sealant, but it gives the paint a nice deep, rich glow. Since black paint shows every imperfection, a carnauba wax will also help cover slight imperfects - unlike a sealant that can highlight them.Use Porter Cable 7224 buffer on speed 2.0 with blue/black wax applicator pad.

It's a complicated process but in the end, it's always worth it. You have a black car. It's by far the most kick *** color when cleaned correctly. Treat it as such.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Prin
I will have to disagree with Eddie. I am a member of Meguiars and we highly recommend using the dishwashing detergent. It strips all of the old wax and whatever else on the paint off. Claying the whold car is up to you. I usually clay the whole damn thing. I quicker route is to wash the car, make sure the section still has soap on it and use that soap as a lubricant to clay. You kill two birds with on stone. Which Meguairs products are you using?
If you're using Dawn as a lubricant for a clay bar, that's probably not going to end well.

-Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha, I was talkin about the soapy water. not staight Dawn
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use car soap while using the clay not soapy dawn.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Prin
A lot of people have different feelings about why they should or should not use Dawn to wash their car. For me the reason is because I don't like the idea of using a cleaner that removes protectants so carelessly. For example I wash my car with Dawn, while in the process that dawn is getting all over my rubber trim removing any valuable protectant in that rubber. On the other hand if I were to use a wax/grease remover (Meguiars Body Solevant) I can do it with a lot more control. Then if there are any contaminants on the paint, I can go further and use the clay in the areas that I feel need that kind of attention. I think that it comes down to preference.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. I think im going to wash the car with regular soap and then clay the car. Later put a pre-polish on it. The car isnt that filthy, just want to do it because I want to get the swirl marks out. Will I be able to get most of the swirl marks out with my hand?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya dont use Dish soap...
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Dawn? Man That Stuff Ill Tak The Hair Off A Babys ***.....i Alwaysuse Meg.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dawn is used as an eraser of any old wax.
It's used to get rid of all the crap and get down to the clear coat so that what ever it is your applying can be applied to a clean smooth surface. Dawn should be used as a one time deal to start over. Zaino ( awesome stuff ) recommends this in their application process.

Zaino's awesome!

Last edited by hawk584; 03-11-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow......im confused....lol