Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why the Hell does the Dash Crack??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why the Hell does the Dash Crack??

Hasn't happened to me but I've been hearing about it alot! Why is it happening and what can be done to preserve it?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dash cover.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It happened to my 96 bird and I believe its from the twisting and flexing of the body. I have heard that STB and SFCs help to keep that from happening as well as stiffening things up.

It was part way cracked when I bought it and it just got worse to the point where it when all the way up to the bottom of the windshield.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heat+cheap plastic=crack
Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah, it fuggin sucks.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Heat.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah it's the heat. Mine just cracked a few days ago. Pretty much ******* sucks. I can get one for around $60.00 from a guy I know who parts f-bodys out though.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And they are definatly a pain in the *** to change. Had to do mine once to put the passenger side airbag back in and to glue that pad back into the dash
Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

I just bought one, its still in the box
got it from partszoneonline.com
they had a good price and fairly cheap shipping(although I did order other parts which they put in a smaller box with the dash cover)
I think it was around 130
Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hope mine doesnt crack, which it prob will. both of my door panals already cracked in the usual spot, freakin gay
Old 03-23-2008, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine has 5-6 big cracks in it, just put a cover and called it a day, door panels tooka crap as well but changed those to TA door covers from a TA i parted out last year.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Veteran

no cracks on mine so far
Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Mine cracked around the rim of the a/c vent on the pass. side and the plastic piece that covers the mirror bolts have broke on both sides. It has to be the heat cause I kept the inside armor alled weekly for the last 5 years!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
And they are definatly a pain in the *** to change. Had to do mine once to put the passenger side airbag back in and to glue that pad back into the dash
Depends if it is the dashboard or dash cover. My dash cover cracked 2 years ago in the heat. The dash cover is the piece that starts at the windshield and comes out to the dashboard; it has a defroster vent in it. I think it is the same on Camaros and T/A's.

Replacing that is a 10-minute job if you have T-Tops. Pull your T-Top glass, there are 2-3 short screws to remove the trim pieces along your windshield. Pull those trim pieces, and the dash cover will lift right out (likely in 2 pieces due to the crack). There are some quarter-size velcro tabs holding it in, just give them a tug. I found a dash cover off a wreck for $20.

One of your easiest appearance upgrades ever.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Depends if it is the dashboard or dash cover. My dash cover cracked 2 years ago in the heat. The dash cover is the piece that starts at the windshield and comes out to the dashboard; it has a defroster vent in it. I think it is the same on Camaros and T/A's.

Replacing that is a 10-minute job if you have T-Tops. Pull your T-Top glass, there are 2-3 short screws to remove the trim pieces along your windshield. Pull those trim pieces, and the dash cover will lift right out (likely in 2 pieces due to the crack). There are some quarter-size velcro tabs holding it in, just give them a tug. I found a dash cover off a wreck for $20.

One of your easiest appearance upgrades ever.
Actually, it is properly termed the "instrument panel trim pad". When people say cover, I think of an aftermarket mat. I agree it is easy to change in T-top vehicles.

The pad is a piece of crap. I would love to wrap mine in high quality, matching color vinyl. The defroster vent would be tough. I have not figured out how to deal with that vent. I do not want to cover the vent.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bsf
Actually, it is properly termed the "instrument panel trim pad". When people say cover, I think of an aftermarket mat. I agree it is easy to change in T-top vehicles.

The pad is a piece of crap. I would love to wrap mine in high quality, matching color vinyl. The defroster vent would be tough. I have not figured out how to deal with that vent. I do not want to cover the vent.
That would be a great idea! Trace the openings with trace paper to get your vent demensions and appy that to your vinyl. You just gave me another to-do job.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

tinting widows should help so so much heat and sunlight dont come in the car
Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

mine has 5-6 big cracks in it, just put a cover and called it a day, door panels tooka crap as well but changed those to TA door covers from a TA i parted out last year.
did your LT door panels crack, as far as I knew those things are bullet proof compared to our LS1 panels, if fact I never had any problems with my LT panels.
My friend now has the parted out LT1 T/A was driving and I am going to buy his panels, then figure out how to get them to match in color later. These LS1 panels are garbage, so thin.

according to GM parts guide its the crash pad
Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did your LT door panels crack, as far as I knew those things are bullet proof compared to our LS1 panels, if fact I never had any problems with my LT panels.
My friend now has the parted out LT1 T/A was driving and I am going to buy his panels, then figure out how to get them to match in color later. These LS1 panels are garbage, so thin.
the guy i got my car from, wasn't the best in taking care of it, the car was always parked outside in the heat (Im in the middle east, I really mean heat) so everything was cracked, everything, I changed the seats, the headliner, the door panels, and now planing to change the center console and the Dash with a 1997+ Camaro or TA, which ever I find in real good shape.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not just heat that weakens the plastic but ultra-violet light that breaks the plastic down. Keep your car in the shade as much as possible. My old '96 Camaro dash panel didn't crack until it was about 8 years old because I used a windshield sun-shield and parked the car in the shade as often as I could.

Quick Reply: Why the Hell does the Dash Crack??