Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powdercoating Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powdercoating Water Pump

I'd like to powedercoat the water pump, what needs to be removed for this to occur safely.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Powdercoating Water Pump

Damn, this thread has been moved by moderators from appearance to external back to appearance..
Old 07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How confusing . . . . Maybe the question should be asked, what needs to come off to remove water pump?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Removing the water pump isn't too hard however you will need to buy some new water pump gaskets just for safety. Look for a cam install document and you will find out plenty of info for the water pump removal.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

I believe he wants to know what needs to come off the pump itself, like the "bell" and such, to powdercoat it.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the best of my knowledge you cant. One reason is that you cant (without the proper equipement) dissasemble the pump to remove the the gaskets, orings and other "meltable" parts. Since you can not do this these parts would not survive the heat process of powderpainting. Also, on 99+ cars the pulley (or BELL) cant be removed since it is pressed on.

My solution was to buy a brand new 98 (old style) water pump with the bolted on pulley. This allowed me to have the pulley and bolts chromed and have the pump properly polished. Looks very good. You could also smooth out the pump body and paint it with several good coats of high temp paint and then high temp clear. The new pump cost me $100, the polishing $150 and the chrome $40..

I also had the Tstat housing chromed.. it all came out rather nice and was worth the effort..

Hope this helps (pics at website)
Old 07-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Launching!

To the best of my knowledge you cant. One reason is that you cant (without the proper equipement) dissasemble the pump to remove the the gaskets, orings and other "meltable" parts. Since you can not do this these parts would not survive the heat process of powderpainting. Also, on 99+ cars the pulley (or BELL) cant be removed since it is pressed on.

My solution was to buy a brand new 98 (old style) water pump with the bolted on pulley. This allowed me to have the pulley and bolts chromed and have the pump properly polished. Looks very good. You could also smooth out the pump body and paint it with several good coats of high temp paint and then high temp clear. The new pump cost me $100, the polishing $150 and the chrome $40..

I also had the Tstat housing chromed.. it all came out rather nice and was worth the effort..

Hope this helps (pics at website)
Steve,
Where did you get your pump polished? Could it not be chromed also?
oh check your pm's
-Robert
Old 07-31-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a metal polishing shop -- but seriously.. anyplace that does automotive grade polishing should be able to do it.. its a big job though..

The problem with chrome is the same as powderpainting.. its too hard to dissasemble the unit down to just the housing. I dont think the internals of the pump would handle the chrome process well.. Plus it would cost a TON of $$ since you have the polishing costs on top of the chrome costs.

I will check my PM's tonigh
Old 07-31-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Steve, that was exactly the information I needed.

Solution based on Steves answer :
A polished version of the new Meziere electric water pump.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Water Pump