Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing Stainless Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing Stainless Exhaust

Does anyone have tips for polishing a stainless cat-back. I am picking up a used Borla. Not real bad shape, just some discoloring and rust/dirt. The best thing is that the system is off the car, so it will be easy to get to every spot. I would really like to take my time this fall/winter, and get a high shined polish on the stainless. Any tools, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-29-2003, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Polishing Stainless Exhaust

Start with some 600 or so wet sand paper. Work your way up to 1000 wet sand paper. Then use metal polish. You could also contact Eastwood products and ask their recommendations. I have always done the polishing by hand, but I'm sure using polishing wheels is better/faster. Anyway, these techniques have always worked for me.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

My Borla was the first part I had polished on my car professionaly, after I paid $400 I bought all of my own equipment and do everything myself. Here is a link on "How to Polish"

Polishing tips

Old 08-29-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want it to come out shiney you can do what the others suggested above, wet sanding etc. Or if you want it to be show quality and mirror like chrome you can enlist the services of a professional. No tool you use will be able to make a muffler come out good unless you polish it on a very big wheel. The small sewn wheels just don't have the contact area and it will make the shine uneven. Tru it can be expensive but it depends on how far you want to go. BTW i am a rep for a metal polishing shop that does professional quality work. PM or email for more info.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the information.

TODD2001SS man that car is clean, I remember seeing that exhaust in a post before and I was hoping you would show up again. That is beautiful, is there a step before the final polishing worth stoping at? I don't know if I am going to go that far.

QUIK3R Thanks for the offer, but I live in Chicago. I think I might look around locally for polishing.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

No prob. There are probably alot of really good local polishers around your area. Just a side note but we do polishing for the bike frames and misc parts of the bikes made by the Orange County Choppers (American Choppers on the discovery channel)
Old 09-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the information.

TODD2001SS man that car is clean, I remember seeing that exhaust in a post before and I was hoping you would show up again. That is beautiful, is there a step before the final polishing worth stoping at? I don't know if I am going to go that far.

QUIK3R Thanks for the offer, but I live in Chicago. I think I might look around locally for polishing.
Basically, when you use the white rouge and are complete, if it looks bad start over with the tripole compound.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want it to come out shiney you can do what the others suggested above, wet sanding etc. Or if you want it to be show quality and mirror like chrome you can enlist the services of a professional. No tool you use will be able to make a muffler come out good unless you polish it on a very big wheel. The small sewn wheels just don't have the contact area and it will make the shine uneven. Tru it can be expensive but it depends on how far you want to go. BTW i am a rep for a metal polishing shop that does professional quality work. PM or email for more info.
Can your shop repair curb rash?
Old 09-04-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

It depends on how bad we can sand it down and polish it but we cannot rechrome or bend. Basically smoothing it out is the best that can be done.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

My Borla was the first part I had polished on my car professionaly, after I paid $400 I bought all of my own equipment and do everything myself.
That looks awesome. Now I know what my next tool purchases will be .

Quick Reply: Polishing Stainless Exhaust