Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of gray sludge - are my converter and tranny junk??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of gray sludge - are my converter and tranny junk??? PLEASE HELP!!!

My car will not go in fwd or reverse. It will only act as if it is in neutral. This started last Friday while driving on the freeway. I really had no warning signs other than a very rare slip. When I checked the fluid it was a redddish brown and did not smell burnt. It showed overfull on the dipstick when running and not running. The fluid level was fine the week before and I did not add any fluid. I unhooked the B&M tranny cooler lines and ran the car to see how much fluid came out. It drizzled for a minute and then stopped. I then thought the pump must be bad.

I just dropped the tranny pan a few minutes ago to see how the filter and pan looked. There is quite a bit more sludge than I normally see. I changed the fluid about 20,000 miles ago and there was a little sludge on the magnet but not much else. As you can see from the pics I cracked the filter open. I didn't see a lot of sludge in the filter. The car currently has 110,000 miles on the original 4L60e.

So I would like to get some opinions based on the symptoms and the pics below. Is my tranny trash? Is my converter trash? Should I flush the system and put in a new filter and see if it goes in fwd or reverse? I am hoping to at least save my aftermarket converter if at all possible. I am planning on replacing or rebuilding the tranny at this point.THANKS.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry but looks perty much gone there

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sorry but looks perty much gone there
Converter and tranny? Can I save my converter??? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would certainly have it cut cleaned and checked

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would certainly have it cut cleaned and checked

Can you do that? If so how much do you charge for that? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Unfortunately we do not cut other peoples converters . I would speak to a local converter re builder or possibly one of the converter sponsors here I do not know how they feel about cutting another's converter.
Of course if you were getting a trans from us right now you could get a new 9.5 inch converter for $100 with the level 2 and for free with the level 3

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't mean to be rude, but next time just keep everything in one post. It does get a little confusing.

On to your problem, converter definitely needs to be cleaned. Could of possible been the cause. The lock up clutch might have failed and eventually caused the trans to go. How has the lock up felt lately?

Chris
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Don't mean to be rude, but next time just keep everything in one post. It does get a little confusing.

On to your problem, converter definitely needs to be cleaned. Could of possible been the cause. The lock up clutch might have failed and eventually caused the trans to go. How has the lock up felt lately?

Chris
The lockup clutch seemed to work fine. I never really had any issues with my converter. I took my trans pan (with sludge) and tranny filter to a local transmission shop today and he said that the converter may have caused the pump to fail in the first place. He said he recommended replacing the trans and converter rather than just cutting and cleaning the converter. He thought the sludge might be lockup clutch and that the converter caused the pump to fail.

I can't complain too much about the converter. It worked great for a couple of years with about 35,000 miles. It sucks though that it might have wrecked my trans
Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

We see this alot with the plow trucks that come in, especially at the back of the pan, (towards the magnet). It's a good possibility your rear planetary's pinion gears are eating into the planet housing. As far as the pump, you could have sheared the tangs off the rotor when it quit. The fine black material is probably clutch or band dust from slipping. These guys here will take care of you. Keep us posted. Good Luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
8 Second Club

Do you remember the little bit of gray sludge that came out of my Tahoe?
I would say she was toast!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Little, RIIIGHT! The sun gear ate right through the planetary. I have to say, Lucas SAVED the hard parts. You'de have to see it to believe it!! Their had to be 3/4lb of metal and I thought the trans was junk. The pump was beautiful. Hardparts very good. I'm not big on additives, but WOW! 32 years and I can still be amazed. How's that Tahoe runnin' Juice? Gonna be doing Nate's pretty quick. He broke the sun shell on the way back from Memphis. I think he had to drive it a couple hundred miles in 3rd. Hopefully no machine shop. Talk to you soon.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy gawd that looks ugly!

Quick Reply: Lots of gray sludge - are my converter and tranny junk??? PLEASE HELP!!!