Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-3 shift problem. not engaging smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-3 shift problem. not engaging smoothly

Hey guys,

I've just built and installed a '94 4l60e in my car. This is the style with the non-removable bellhousing. I've upgraded all of the usual stuff but am having a problem with the 2-3 shift. It will shift and hold gears fine but occasionally you can actually feel the shift taking place. You can kind of feel it going through the stages of the shift (ie. band letting go, then the 3-4 pack applying). It happens fairly often but not all of the time.

I'm running a transgo separator plate with the HD2 shift kit, wide carbon band with a new drum and billet servos. The 3-4 pack is a z-pack set at .020" clearance.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the issue is with one of the holes in the separator plate not being big enough. The sheet that came with the plate had part no. #46-PLT-94 written on it. It says that the plate is fine to use as is, so I've only drilled out the shift kit holes. ALTHOUGH, I did notice that not all of the hole sizes were the same as the original. I'm thinking that this is the problem but am not sure where to look. The box does not have PWM.

Has anyone had any experience/issues with this plate? Sorry for the long post. If you need more info let me know. I'm getting really sick of this box and need to get it sorted so I can enjoy the car!!

PS. I have a line pressure gauge if that helps
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you mean the band releases before the 3-4 clutch comes on making kinda a neutral between 2-3?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

mabe get it tuned. that might help, are you running a cooler ?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Do you mean the band releases before the 3-4 clutch comes on making kinda a neutral between 2-3?
Sort of. It doesn't neutralize as such but you can feel it fall into a flat spot. The tune definately needs cleaning up but I don't think that's the only problem. More that you can feel like 2 "parts" of the shift rather than a seamless action.

The shift still happens relatively quickly but it's just not smooth.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well it should not be smooth with the TG HD2 the shift would feel rather abrupt and a little harsh like . Thats actually the whole point of a shift kit.
On the other hand with the billet servo with the TG HD2 the band may not be releasing fast enough and you could be getting to much overlap this can cause what almost feels like a brake or a momentary shift to 4th then 3rd.
I have never been really keen on the transgo with a billet servo at least not done according to the instructions. I prefer when using those to leave the 2nd hydraulic circuit other than the 2nd gear feed stock with either of the billet servos.
You might try putting the corvette servo back in for second and see what affect that has.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-04-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I had the same issue on a stock box.. After DIY installing the transgo kit with all billet accumulators and Fairbanks servos the box died. Turns out I'd set up the 2nd apply servo too far advanced so the band was riding the drum.

Also I drilled the seperator plate holes bigger then the instructions recommended and killed the over runs and 3-4 pack.

Great way to get a new box with all the bits
Old 04-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aus355
Hey guys,

I've just built and installed a '94 4l60e in my car. This is the style with the non-removable bellhousing. I've upgraded all of the usual stuff but am having a problem with the 2-3 shift. It will shift and hold gears fine but occasionally you can actually feel the shift taking place. You can kind of feel it going through the stages of the shift (ie. band letting go, then the 3-4 pack applying). It happens fairly often but not all of the time.

I'm running a transgo separator plate with the HD2 shift kit, wide carbon band with a new drum and billet servos. The 3-4 pack is a z-pack set at .020" clearance.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the issue is with one of the holes in the separator plate not being big enough. The sheet that came with the plate had part no. #46-PLT-94 written on it. It says that the plate is fine to use as is, so I've only drilled out the shift kit holes. ALTHOUGH, I did notice that not all of the hole sizes were the same as the original. I'm thinking that this is the problem but am not sure where to look. The box does not have PWM.

Has anyone had any experience/issues with this plate? Sorry for the long post. If you need more info let me know. I'm getting really sick of this box and need to get it sorted so I can enjoy the car!!

PS. I have a line pressure gauge if that helps
Were the original separator holes bigger or smaller than the TG? I know when I installed a TCI kit in a 700R4, I had to enlarge a few (separate from the shift kit holes) to match the old plate.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Yeah I might have to pull the plate and just match it with the original. If that doesn't make a difference, I might switch back to the corvette as suggested. I've set the band clearance at about 1/8" so I don't think it's dragging at all. The box is very direct once it's in gear.

Also, If I put a pressure gauge on the box and it's at say 200psi on full throttle shifts, can I just turn the PC solenoid torx bit clockwise? Can this be "overwound", so to speak? I understand that 225psi is what to aim for but I'm wondering what would be the best way to up the pressure. Install a shim in the PR valve?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 AM

Hey sorry to be a pain but is anyone able to answer the question about the solenoid?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Turning the solenoid will raise the line. However this is best done trial and error with a gauge either in car or on a dyno.
If your allready at 200 I would not go more than 1/8 turn.

Call 888-744-6542