Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with TH350 swap into 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My experience with TH350 swap into 98 Z28

I am swapping in a trans braked th350 into my 98 Z28. Thought I would share the good, bad, and ugly..

1st issue: the left side middle bolt (the one right above the dowel) was a biatch to get in. It resides very close to the tranny hump/fire-wall. If I would have known this, I could have clearanced the area with a instead I had to fiddle with 1/8 turns and an end wrench

2nd issue: Lt1's have different cross members than the LS1's. I had purchased a used LT1 to 350 conversion cross member thinking they would be the same..NOPE. So I used my stock cross member and welded up a mount.

3rd issue: I was planning on keeping the stock shifter. But found that I did not like the feel. Since this is a reverse pattern, full manual, I wanted a more positive feeling engagement. I did read a write up about modding the stock shifter to give a better feel, but I had a TCI shifter already, so I went ahead and installed it.

4th Issue: Madman dipstick tube. Not sure if this one has been bent by previous owner or what, but it ended up under the cowl and angled slightly up. Which makes it difficult to get the dipstick with the lock to fully seat and lock. It also was a pain to wedge a funnel into it in order to fill the tranny.

Also would like to point out that 98 flexplates do have dual bolt patterns, but the ones used for the 350 converter do not have shoulders, just FYI.

All in all, I think I have all the worse behind me. I still need to wire up the transbrake, and sort out how I am going to do the interior with the after market shifter.

I hope this will help someone who is going to do the swap.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are pretty much in the home stretch now. A wiggle socket is a life saver on those bolts
Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so did you just weld a plate up and down for the torque arm. I heard m6 crossmembers line up with a 1" space so the trans sits level but I still have the Tq arm issue.
Thanks,C
Old 04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rickou812
I am swapping in a trans braked th350 into my 98 Z28. Thought I would share the good, bad, and ugly..

1st issue: the left side middle bolt (the one right above the dowel) was a biatch to get in. It resides very close to the tranny hump/fire-wall. If I would have known this, I could have clearanced the area with a instead I had to fiddle with 1/8 turns and an end wrench

2nd issue: Lt1's have different cross members than the LS1's. I had purchased a used LT1 to 350 conversion cross member thinking they would be the same..NOPE. So I used my stock cross member and welded up a mount.

3rd issue: I was planning on keeping the stock shifter. But found that I did not like the feel. Since this is a reverse pattern, full manual, I wanted a more positive feeling engagement. I did read a write up about modding the stock shifter to give a better feel, but I had a TCI shifter already, so I went ahead and installed it.

4th Issue: Madman dipstick tube. Not sure if this one has been bent by previous owner or what, but it ended up under the cowl and angled slightly up. Which makes it difficult to get the dipstick with the lock to fully seat and lock. It also was a pain to wedge a funnel into it in order to fill the tranny.

Also would like to point out that 98 flexplates do have dual bolt patterns, but the ones used for the 350 converter do not have shoulders, just FYI.

All in all, I think I have all the worse behind me. I still need to wire up the transbrake, and sort out how I am going to do the interior with the after market shifter.

I hope this will help someone who is going to do the swap.
i am doin a th400 swap soon so this sorta helps
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spaz1
so did you just weld a plate up and down for the torque arm. I heard m6 crossmembers line up with a 1" space so the trans sits level but I still have the Tq arm issue.
Thanks,C
I already had an aftermarket torque arm, so I did not have to bother with a mount for the torque arm. I wish I had known that about the M6 cross member, but modding mine wasn't a big deal. After I had the tranny in, I mounted the cross member and tacked up a mount, then removed the cross member and finished welding it up.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Latest update:
I have everything in and transbrake wired. I am unable to really take the car on a test drive since it has open exhaust (turn downs off the headers). But I did test the transbrake, and much to my disappointment it will not hold over 3500 rpms. You get what you pay for..lol
I do have another th350 that I can rebuild with the right stuff and have it ready just to pop in when I get ready to change it. The other good thing is I have all the little stuff out of the way, so I will not have anymore surprises when I change it.

On another note, has any one else had problems with the madman dipstick being short?

I think I am, going to mod it to make it longer so that it will at least stick out from under the cowl like the original... I should be able to use my original tube and add to the madman tube to get it where I want it. Then I can use the original dipstick part to check the level.... just thinking out loud...lol
Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
You are pretty much in the home stretch now. A wiggle socket is a life saver on those bolts
I yea I have to use a wiggle socket, ( I call it a webble wobble..lol) to get to the top bolts. But this bolt hole is right beside the sheet metal. I could not even get the bolt to go into the hole with out having to pry the whole tranny/engine over to the side and while holding it over as far as I could, I had to muscle it into the hole. Once in it was able to clear the sheet metal, but there was no way in hell I could get a socket on it. It reminded me of the older model cars where you would have to use a hole saw to cut holes in the fire wall in order to get to the tranny bolts. I may have to do that to get the damn thing back out..lol
Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Latest update:
I have everything in and transbrake wired. I am unable to really take the car on a test drive since it has open exhaust (turn downs off the headers). But I did test the transbrake, and much to my disappointment it will not hold over 3500 rpms. You get what you pay for..lol
I do have another th350 that I can rebuild with the right stuff and have it ready just to pop in when I get ready to change it. The other good thing is I have all the little stuff out of the way, so I will not have anymore surprises when I change it.

On another note, has any one else had problems with the madman dipstick being short?

I think I am, going to mod it to make it longer so that it will at least stick out from under the cowl like the original... I should be able to use my original tube and add to the madman tube to get it where I want it. Then I can use the original dipstick part to check the level.... just thinking out loud...lol
doesnt sound to bad man. im doing the swap on mine soon. just need a driveshaft..what the length of your driveshaft? and what size stall do you have because you trans brake wont rev higher that your stall converter.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSXFORMULA99
doesnt sound to bad man. im doing the swap on mine soon. just need a driveshaft..what the length of your driveshaft? and what size stall do you have because you trans brake wont rev higher that your stall converter.
I was able to use the stock drive shaft, I have the 9" tail housing th350.
It's not that the converter will not stall higher, it is that the brake won't hold above that, the car will launch while I am still hold the button. From what I read, this indicates a bad drive clutch or not having enough clutch plates to handle the motor's power. There is other possibilities also to do with pressure leaks, but I suspect the clutches.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll got this route. Who needs a 4th gear.Does the th350 have a nicer low gear then the th400. Or is it still the 2.48 low. I may have to change the rear axle ratio now.

Last edited by spaz1; 04-09-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I yea I have to use a wiggle socket, ( I call it a webble wobble..lol) to get to the top bolts. But this bolt hole is right beside the sheet metal. I could not even get the bolt to go into the hole with out having to pry the whole tranny/engine over to the side and while holding it over as far as I could, I had to muscle it into the hole. Once in it was able to clear the sheet metal, but there was no way in hell I could get a socket on it. It reminded me of the older model cars where you would have to use a hole saw to cut holes in the fire wall in order to get to the tranny bolts. I may have to do that to get the damn thing back out..lol
Yup I had to take mine out to get it rebuilt and drilled a hole in the trans tunnel to save some time

Originally Posted by spaz1
I think I'll got this route. Who needs a 4th gear.Does the th350 have a nicer low gear then the th400. Or is it still the 2.48 low. I may have to change the rear axle ratio now.
The TH350 first gear is a 2.52

Quick Reply: My experience with TH350 swap into 98 Z28