Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling transmission by myself, whats the easiest way to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pulling transmission by myself, whats the easiest way to do it?

So this weekend sometime I will be pulling my 4L60E by myself. I have pulled the transmission a few times already so I know how to do it but I have always had a friend to help me with it. This weekend I will be doing it by myself and I am worried that it will be too heavy to deal with myself. Has anyone done this by themselves and used like a transmission jack from Harbor Freight or anything and had it work well? What method did you use to pull your transmission without any help? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did mine myself. at least taking it all out. I got a hand putting it back in, but i could have done it myself.

that harbor freight scissor style jack is the same one i used.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a cheap 2 ton small jack when i did my 80e by my self, I put it up and down 3 times. I used alot of bricks and 4x4 pieces. stack them up a few inches below the trans and let it drop down onto them. then just use the jack front to back and remove one at a time until its down.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to do mine by myself with a regular floor jack. I thought the hardest part was getting the tranny onto the jack while underneath the car. Just take your time and be careful and you will be fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by drone
i did mine myself. at least taking it all out. I got a hand putting it back in, but i could have done it myself.

that harbor freight scissor style jack is the same one i used.
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178
Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah those things work pretty good.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I went and looked at it at the harbor freight store and it looks pretty good. I think I am going to pick it up and give it a shot.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

I wouldn't waste the time with the trans jack, all thats going to do is require you to find a way to jack the car up higher.

I use a lower profile floor jack and never need help. I put a pile of shop rags on the jack to protect the pan and provide grip.
You need to place the jack more to the front, as soon as theres enough room, take the converter out. Same when putting it back in, put the converter in last, when it's back on the jack. Just be prepared for the weight shift.

Once the converter is out, slide it to the passenger side and set the pass side pan on the ground. Same when putting it back up, tip it on the passenger side pan, put a knee against the jack and pull the trans up.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178
thats the one i used and it worked fine except when you lower it all the way down the trans is still pretty high like stated above. makes it a pain in the *** to get it out from under the car.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got my car pretty high so....
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
I wouldn't waste the time with the trans jack, all thats going to do is require you to find a way to jack the car up higher.

I use a lower profile floor jack and never need help. I put a pile of shop rags on the jack to protect the pan and provide grip.
You need to place the jack more to the front, as soon as theres enough room, take the converter out. Same when putting it back in, put the converter in last, when it's back on the jack. Just be prepared for the weight shift.

Once the converter is out, slide it to the passenger side and set the pass side pan on the ground. Same when putting it back up, tip it on the passenger side pan, put a knee against the jack and pull the trans up.
How did you hold the tranny on the jack and take the converter out all by yourself? The converter is like 45 lbs so I don't want to grab it with one hand and watch my $700 converter hit the floor. If you use both hands on the converter how did you keep the tranny from falling off the jack?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

the harbor freight jack has a ratcheting strap so no worries there. others that do it with floor jacks are obviously super mechanics same ones that say they can do motor mounts from start to finish in 1 hour.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I used a cheap 2 ton small jack when i did my 80e by my self, I put it up and down 3 times. I used alot of bricks and 4x4 pieces. stack them up a few inches below the trans and let it drop down onto them. then just use the jack front to back and remove one at a time until its down.
I did the same thing when I did mine by myself. Just takes alittle time.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
How did you hold the tranny on the jack and take the converter out all by yourself? The converter is like 45 lbs so I don't want to grab it with one hand and watch my $700 converter hit the floor. If you use both hands on the converter how did you keep the tranny from falling off the jack?
Back the trans up until theres enough room to get the converter out and jack it up until the trans is lightly touching the floor board/ trans tunnel. This stabilizes it. Try to wiggle it before removing the TC to be sure it's not going to fall.

My jack has a 6" saddle. A long time ago I almost had a 700 fall off using a jack with a 3" saddle. And using a piece of wood between the two is the biggest pain in the ***. Like I said use cloth, a simple bath towel folded up is enough to protect the pan as long as you don't try to jack the car up.

Apparently cardboard works tooI was looking through some pics and I knew I had one of when I put my converter in, my $725 converter that is. I even did this on ramps since the car didn't need to be up high to get the trans out from under it.

And why not, I'll throw in a pic of a drained stock converter on a scale, this is after draining 8 pounds (not quarts) out of it, in other words you're going to be lifting a 54 pound converter out.

Last edited by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56; 05-12-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
super mechanics same ones that say they can do motor mounts from start to finish in 1 hour.
I can do them in less than an hour
Then it takes another 3 to 6 to put the exhaust and everything else back on

Quick Reply: Pulling transmission by myself, whats the easiest way to do it?