Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a whine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default a whine?

well i noticed today when i was driving in the mountains from a dead stop turning sharply to the right once my RPM's started to hit 1600 a loud whinning from the front so at first i thought my powersteering, i did this again 2 times to see if it would happen when i was turning and it did and so far it wasn't doing it when i was going straight (almosts sounds like a supercharger). once i got to the camp i shut my car off for about an hour or so then had my buddy go with me back to the lake so he could hear it . . . thats when i noticed it was doing it when i was going straight also it does the same exact thing in 1st 2nd and 3rd but once it gets in 4th there is no whine. i ruled out the rear end because my exhaust is loud enough to the point you wouldn't hear anything from the rear and like i said it's coming from the front. tranny has almost 152K and i was hopin a rebuild would be a while longer really but it may come sooner than i was hoping . . . . . any advice would be appreciated
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearing of some sort? Maybe wheel bearing or is it engine related?

If its in the engine I would say cam bearings or main, check oil.

If its in the tranny, I wouldn't worry bout it until it breaks.

If its in the rear then its prolly the miles on the gears comming out and don't worry till you break it.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Veteran

i have true duals so i ruled out the rear end because the whining is coming from the front i have a 151K on the car so i wouldn't be surprised if the tranny is going pretty soon but tomorrow i'll check the fluids again
Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

IDK, I got SLP loudmouth but the last time I rebuilt my 10 bolt I know I put the gears in deep, and so the rear whines just a tad. Mainly when I am accelerating, when I let off it shuts up.

My car also has 135k as of yesterday. Not sure how many are on the gears but Ive know rears with high miles tend to whine as they get older unless someone gets back into them and re-shimms them back to a normal backlash.

As far as gears in the tranny, they are similar to the gears in your axles. When they wear their clearances start to wonder, therefore creating whine.

Hope its not cam bearings. When they start whining you'd better start saving your pennies for a new engine cause that means you won't have oil pressure someday and you wil need a rebuild.

If its not tranny or engine related and it ends up being only when you are moving, take apart your front bearings on your spindles and repack your wheel bearings. Hopefully that is the issue. At least its the cheapest fix.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

i'm gonna lift up the car today and let it run abit through the gears to see if it still wines . . . i'm thinking if it doesn't then it has to do with my front suspension, wheel bearings or power steering
Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, let us know what the issue ended up being. Hopefully something cheap fix.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

hmmm ok yesterday i started it up and drove it around like normal . . . no sound!!!!! ok now i'm tryin to think what it could be if i let it cool down for almost 24 hours and then goes away
Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

a lot of fluids and grease thins when it gets hot, so it could be a number of things. Just keep checking and tell us when you find it.

bTW, is it an engine problem, chassis problem, or drive train issue. You need to narrow the problem down so you know where to start looking.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ToBiN!
a lot of fluids and grease thins when it gets hot, so it could be a number of things. Just keep checking and tell us when you find it.

bTW, is it an engine problem, chassis problem, or drive train issue. You need to narrow the problem down so you know where to start looking.
ok went to drive it today and after about 25 minutes of driving it started doing it, i pulled off on the side of the road and put in in park and revved it up to 1600rpm and it started the whining so i'm thinking transmission. i'm gonna take it to a transmission shop tomorrow beings i have a seal needing replacement and see what they can diagnose also
Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King Nothing
ok went to drive it today and after about 25 minutes of driving it started doing it, i pulled off on the side of the road and put in in park and revved it up to 1600rpm and it started the whining so i'm thinking transmission. i'm gonna take it to a transmission shop tomorrow beings i have a seal needing replacement and see what they can diagnose also
Good, at least you have narrowed it down to being under the hood. Good starting place. Hopefully its a power steering pump or something simple. Tranny issues can get expensive.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToBiN!
Good, at least you have narrowed it down to being under the hood. Good starting place. Hopefully its a power steering pump or something simple. Tranny issues can get expensive.
It might be the powersteering pump that's about to go out. I had that same whine whenever i revved the motor or just driving. I had my pump replaced and the whine is gone. I didn't think tranny can make whine sounds like that. Park the car with it running and pop the hood open. Then rev the motor with the throttle cable actuator. As the rpm increases, you will hear the whine. Like I said, it might be the pump. Check your powersteering fluid and see.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
It might be the powersteering pump that's about to go out. I had that same whine whenever i revved the motor or just driving. I had my pump replaced and the whine is gone. I didn't think tranny can make whine sounds like that. Park the car with it running and pop the hood open. Then rev the motor with the throttle cable actuator. As the rpm increases, you will hear the whine. Like I said, it might be the pump. Check your powersteering fluid and see.
i checked the fluid acouple weeks back and it was full but it has 151K so i'm sure the fluid could be good but the pump is failing
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

when i check it out today i'll post up info and i'm hoping it's the PS pump
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

ok well i checked my powersteering fluid today and wow it's hella thick almost milkshake like so i'll be flushing that and puttin new fluid in but i'm gonna order a new pump next week and just install it
Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

ok well i checked my powersteering fluid today and wow it's hella thick almost milkshake like so i'll be flushing that and puttin new fluid in but i'm gonna order a new pump next week and just install it
Yea, that's why I suggest to check PS fluid cause my was the same way. Look like vanilla milkshake. Anyway, wish you best luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
Yea, that's why I suggest to check PS fluid cause my was the same way. Look like vanilla milkshake. Anyway, wish you best luck.
thanks bud!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

well i'm pretty sure it was powersteering pump going out because

this was on my driveway when i started the car up and let it idle for abit than drove off . . . i made it 4 houses down and then a loud rattle almost like a rattle snake was outside the car infront of a mic drove it back to the house checked the fluid and wow i have no powersteering fluid and it's on the ground in my driveway and on some parts in my engine bay well i think i'll be ordering a new pump next week
Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

btw mods could you move this to maintanence and repairs please
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

well i'm pretty sure it was powersteering pump going out because

this was on my driveway when i started the car up and let it idle for abit than drove off . . . i made it 4 houses down and then a loud rattle almost like a rattle snake was outside the car infront of a mic drove it back to the house checked the fluid and wow i have no powersteering fluid and it's on the ground in my driveway and on some parts in my engine bay well i think i'll be ordering a new pump next week
Damn man. I'm glad I got my pump replaced before it did that. Mine held up as long as it did before I did the swap. Well, I hope nothing else is wrong with your car.