Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 gto trans is shot, I think

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 gto trans is shot, I think

Copy and paste from gto forum. Just looking to get all the advice/info/what to check for I can get. The plan was to take it the base hobby shop and pull the trans myself tomorrow but the tow truck guy wouldnt take it on base so its sitting outside a trans shop. I dont want them to touch it, just do the free diagnosis and I will pull it myself.

Please bear with me on this post, I wasnt mad at 1st but now I am getting pissed.

Transmission and or converter/input shaft took a **** 15 feet from our 1/8th miles gate. Thats right I didnt even get into the mothersmurfer!!! I got on it, wheelhopped like holy ****, then it free revved to 5k. I pull over, think wtf do it again and the next time it revs to holyshit catches breaks the tires loose then falls on its face and chatter chatter chatter crunch. It hit so hard that it felt like the car lifted off the ground, the 1st thing I thought was holy **** did my drive shaft just pogo stick and am I dragging it because it sounds like the car is dragging something on the ground, I kill it, fire it back up turn the car around hoping to limp it home and its just making a "im broke sound" coming from the trans/converter and then it basically locks up like it was thrown in park. Seriously sounds like something is just broken while the car is moving, can hear metal grinding I guess.

So after that the car will move forward, it will back up, but give it some gas and chatter chatter chatter crunch just sounds like something is broke coming from trans area.

So I Get it off the tow truck and even in nuetral now its making this noise as we push it off the trailer, put it in drive and it will just rev, reverse same thing.

Any ideas here? Anyone had this issue? I was just on the dyno last night getting it tuned and had zero problems. I put an fti converter in it back in march before I deployed and it has less than 1500 miles on it.

Having gone through a clutch or 2 in my day it feels and does what a "clutch is gone" car feels like, but in an auto.

I'm guessing I am going to get a "time for an upgrade reply" and yeah it damn sure is lol.lol
Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me be the first. "Time for an upgrade"
Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you broke a planey or reaction tube something of that nature, Looks like YEP YOU NEED A TRANS
Please take a moment to check out what we have to offer.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Today I jacked it up off the ground put it in gear any gear and nothing happened, no noise and wheels did not spin. So I give it some throttle wheels start to spin and the noise and sound of something broken starts up. Same with reverse and every other gear. I laid under the car with the tires spinning and I did not hear anything from the rear end or the driveshaft all the noise was coming from the bellhousing area. No metal shavings or anything on the dipstick either and its not leaking trans fluid. Still not sure what it could be since the wheels are spinnning in every gear.
If the trans itself was fucked wouldnt it not turn in multiple gears and wouldnt I get some kind of code? I revved it once to get the wheels spinning after that the dragging noise started like something was trying to grab, prior to the rev no noise in any gear or movement. I'm really assed out until I can get it on a lift now.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

And no you would not likley get a code for a mechanical failure

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

any updates?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS Ryan
any updates?
SURE! I pulled the trans today. Here are pics of the pan.

looks way too new to be fucked :rofl:

Um, my magnet looked like a chia pet made of metal. I'm going to order a trans one way or another by friday, I have to buy a beater 1st and finding a dirt cheap one is proving to be a PITA. Trans is going to cost twice as much as a beater maybe 3 times lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Wow man that is nuts. Sorry about the tranny.