Sponsored by:

4L60 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60 questions

A couple of questions:
1. The cable and gray switch in front of the shifter, what is that? What does it do?
2. Is the steel plate behind the shifter with the silver bolts in it the same on a T56? This appears to be where the airbag module is. The A4 shifter appears with will "bolt up" in front of that area.
3. How is the cable routed on a 4L60 transmission and how is the shift cable oriented?
4. What are the other switches on the A4 shifter?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Guess you could call it a key lock switch. It hooks to the steering column and locks the shifter when the key is not turned forward in the ignition.
2. The plate behind the shifter should be the same for m6 cars.
3. Not sure which cable your refering to here. The key lock cable runs under the carpet and up to the steering column. The shift linkage pretty much comes out of the shifter and straight down to the tranny. The other end hooks to two bolts towards the rear of the pan. You will probably have to adjust it if its new or you are doing a swap.
4. The black switch is the brake lock mechanism. If its attached then you have to push the brake to move the shifer from park.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
1. Guess you could call it a key lock switch. It hooks to the steering column and locks the shifter when the key is not turned forward in the ignition.
2. The plate behind the shifter should be the same for m6 cars.
3. Not sure which cable your refering to here. The key lock cable runs under the carpet and up to the steering column. The shift linkage pretty much comes out of the shifter and straight down to the tranny. The other end hooks to two bolts towards the rear of the pan. You will probably have to adjust it if its new or you are doing a swap.
4. The black switch is the brake lock mechanism. If its attached then you have to push the brake to move the shifer from park.
So are the brake lock and key lock necessary? I would just need to be concerned with getting my reverse lights to work, and a neutral safety switch if I wanted that (which is prob a good idea)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Neither one of them are necessary.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Well I picked up some brackets today from the local junkyard. See below:

It appears the brackets I picked up, off a LT1 4L60e car, might not work with the A4 shifter cable I purchased off of here. Are the shifter cables and/or brackets LT1 or LS1 specific?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

It shouldn't be a problem interchanging them. Check the plug on your harness that connects to your shifter and see if it matches up to the lt1 shifter. If so you should be good.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
It shouldn't be a problem interchanging them. Check the plug on your harness that connects to your shifter and see if it matches up to the lt1 shifter. If so you should be good.
Well I'm getting used parts from people on here and at junkyards. So it's a mish-mash of different parts. Right now the car is an M6, I am converting to a 4L80e. I have a shift cable and am trying to get the brackets and tabs to make it work. I guess I need to do some more research.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you will need to get a shifter cable bracket from a 4l80e for your swap. You can use the factory fbody cable with this. Vince B
Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

From the sticky:

"~ Stock shifter will work. I had to take the small bracket the where the shifter cable connects to the 4l60e and swap it out with the one on the 4l80e. Its the part on the trans where the gear changing occurs. The shifter cable will snap on this bracket. (sorry if it doesnt make sense) The part where the shifter cable attaches on the 4l80e is alot bigger then the 4l60e, but if you swap them out you'll be fine."

So I need the 4L80e cable bracket and linkage tab?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Not sure about the linkage arm because the one on the F body has a larger ball for the cable to snap onto. So I would think you reuse your original and just get a cable bracket from the 80. Vince B
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Not sure about the linkage arm because the one on the F body has a larger ball for the cable to snap onto. So I would think you reuse your original and just get a cable bracket from the 80. Vince B
Well I found out the LT1 and LS1 linkage arms have different sized ***** for the shifter cable to snap onto. I have the correct arm now. As far as the bracket, I will see what happens when the swap time occurs. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Well I found out the LT1 and LS1 linkage arms have different sized ***** for the shifter cable to snap onto. I have the correct arm now. As far as the bracket, I will see what happens when the swap time occurs. Thanks for the help.
You are correct on the lt1's having a smaller ball on the linkage arm. I work on so many LS1's that I forget that the early ones were different.

Actually the early arm has been discontinued and is hard to find. The trucks still use a small ball but the arms are different. Good luck with your swap. Vince B

Quick Reply: 4L60 questions