Sponsored by:

4L60E rebuild parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 4L60E rebuild parts

I am looking into rebuilding my trans while its out during the torque converter swap, would like to know what clutches are the best to use?

Many I have asked advised to use GM clutches, billet servos, kevlar band, beast shell, and the seals preferred oem.

Would like to hear from the gurus here or people who have rebuilt their own trans and what worked best behind a good 3600 stall.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear the Z-Pack 3-4 clutch pack is really good, its what Performabuilt uses in their transmissions to my knowledge.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

There is much more to it than just some clutches. It takes an experienced builder with proper techniques to make a transmission live.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

I would go out and get a transgo hd-2 shift kit, corvette servo, beast sun shell, the kevlar band, and new clutches if the car has a good amount of miles on it.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DSkyles
I would go out and get a transgo hd-2 shift kit, corvette servo, beast sun shell, the kevlar band, and new clutches if the car has a good amount of miles on it.
The transmission is holding strong right now, but since its going to be out for the stall swap, I thought I might as well tear it open and rebuild it. Why wait until the new stall destroys it first?

I already have an HD-2 kit, love it I must say.

Beast sun shell is already on the list.

Who makes a great kevlar band?

I was advised that GM clutches are the best to use, friends of mine have been happy with Z-pack too.

Only tool I would have a hard time finding is the spring compressor.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

how much do you want to spend there are the sprags to upgrade the planetary upgrade and with the 3/4 clutch I like to go with a high type but stay with the 6 pack I found that the thin steals warp and burn up the clutches also, any plastic pistons up grade to aluminum also you can up grade the 3/4 & forward pistons

as far as the hard parts with the build like compressing the 3/4 basket and installing the Teflon o rings just bring the basket to a local shop and buy some parts there and they will prob do this stuff for free
Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99427camaro
how much do you want to spend there are the sprags to upgrade the planetary upgrade and with the 3/4 clutch I like to go with a high type but stay with the 6 pack I found that the thin steals warp and burn up the clutches also, any plastic pistons up grade to aluminum also you can up grade the 3/4 & forward pistons

as far as the hard parts with the build like compressing the 3/4 basket and installing the Teflon o rings just bring the basket to a local shop and buy some parts there and they will prob do this stuff for free
My build is mild, I am running a CC503, hoping to give it a 3600 of stall and mate some 3.73s round the back. Also might spray, but I love to drive my car hard so I would love the trans to hold up well, about 500 flywheel hp is all I need.

I have done some searches, found lots of kits, and they seem well priced, most expensive was 500$, but I need to consider shipping as well.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say no to the Kevlar. Get a new reverse input drum with a carbon wideband.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Say no to the Kevlar. Get a new reverse input drum with a carbon wideband.
Have you rebuilt your own trans? If so, what parts did you use?

Did you use a kit from a vendor or site?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Definitely don't use a kevlar band. The high energy material is the best to use.

https://www.wittrans.com/Default.asp...FYdd5Qod3iPYog
http://www.transtarindustries.com/