Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys got a quick ? about swapping in a truck 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys got a quick ? about swapping in a truck 4l60e

Okay like the title says my trans is toast again for like the 7th or 8th time now and I'm done with my local builder ripping me off so I found a used 4l60e for sale locally that came out of a 2007 gmc 1500 pick-up that had a 5.3 liter in it so what if anything will i need to swap from the old trans to this one to make it fit my trans am? thanks guys
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Output shaft is shorter in the truck unit if it is a 4x4 transmission. You will need to change that and get a tail shaft.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM
FormerVendor

You will have to change over the shift linkage rod and tail housing. If you have an aftermarket torque arm that does not bolt up to the tail, then you can use the truck tail housing. If it is out of a 4x4 then you will have to take the trans apart to change the outputshaft.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Launching!

okay got the truck transmission and my old trans next to each other in the garage, truck trans was out of a 2 wheel drive sierra. I already swapped tailhousings so i'm good there. I did know about the shifter linkage already and have the part to swap it to the f-body linkage but are there any tricks to this i need to know before getting started?
Also I'm trying to swap the corvette servo into the new trans but cant seem to get it out so whats the trick for removing a servo guys? do I just pry harder lol?

And last anyone know where i can find a step by step write up on trans and converter install? I know what i have to do just wanna make sure I do everything in the easiest possible order...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

ok guys did a search and figured out the servo and found a write up for the trans installation...
Still a question if there's anything i should know about swapping the shift linkage and also the truck trans has a different pan on it, any advantages or disadvantages to leaving the truck pan on or should i just swap the f-body pan to it since i'm removing it to swap the shift linkage anyways? The truck pan seems a little deeper btw would this mean the trans would hold more fluid if i leave it?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

How did you get that linkage rod out of the case? Mine feels like it is stuck and won't pull through the case. Is there some trick to it?

On the deep pan, it will be fine. A lot of guys run them, including me. It will hold about another quart. If you can, get one with the drain plug built in. Just make sure you get a truck filter to go with the deep pan.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hugger
How did you get that linkage rod out of the case? Mine feels like it is stuck and won't pull through the case. Is there some trick to it?

On the deep pan, it will be fine. A lot of guys run them, including me. It will hold about another quart. If you can, get one with the drain plug built in. Just make sure you get a truck filter to go with the deep pan.
The trick to the linkage rod is to file it down a little bit right befor the threads start thats the spot that gets stuck. Then pull it out as far as u can, put the nut on the outside and put a wrench under the nut and tap the wrench with a hammer.

Ya realized I had to use the deep pan cuz the trans had a truck filter in it and the f-body pan wont fit under the larger truck filter...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 AM

I was going to do the opposite (Fbody trans into my 97' Sierra), but lucked out and found a low mileage one for $200.