Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke pump? torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy broke pump? torque converter?

i put a new transmission in and im pretty sure the converter came unseated wen i was putting it in. i also did not put any fluid in the converter install. wat happened was i drove it 15 miles and then lost all gears i had nothing. my question is i have a pump and a converter. should i replace both or do you guys think that i could get away with just putting just the converter in with fluid this time. the thing is im in a bind with work, and college about to start up this is my last weekend off work. this car is also my only vehicle. i need opinions asap!!!!!!!.... also i pulled the pan to check for material in the oil or if it smelt burnt and it still looks brand new... which is making me think the pump didnt go out
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Adding fluid inside the converter has nothing to do with your failure.
It sounds like you broke the tabs off the pump. This usually damages not only the pump but the converter hub also. It also sends a ton of metal thought the trans (it will look like silver paint).
You can check for pump pressure with a gauage.
Are you sure its full of fluid??

Sounds like you need to pull it and tear it down and inspect it.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

cant u just pull one of the lines off and if fluid is coming out the pump is working?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Teching In

alright i decided to tear it down anyways and the tabs are broke off on the pump so i put a new pump on it and converter last night and throwin it back together today
Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

jag81 didn't you buy it from caleb through casey? he was telling me he sold his tranny to you then lost all the gears on the way home...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

ya thats who i bought it from
Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Check the friction and band while your at it. Replace anything that has hot spots. Buy several cans of non chlorinated brake parts cleaner to rinse down the internals, but be careful, some brake parts cleaners damage plastic (solenoids-wire harness and such)
but it does a excellent job of cleaning.
Also use it to flush out your trans cooler & lines with compressed air.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag81
i put a new transmission in and im pretty sure the converter came unseated wen i was putting it in. i also did not put any fluid in the converter install. wat happened was i drove it 15 miles and then lost all gears i had nothing. my question is i have a pump and a converter. should i replace both or do you guys think that i could get away with just putting just the converter in with fluid this time. the thing is im in a bind with work, and college about to start up this is my last weekend off work. this car is also my only vehicle. i need opinions asap!!!!!!!.... also i pulled the pan to check for material in the oil or if it smelt burnt and it still looks brand new... which is making me think the pump didnt go out
When this happened, how did u get home or whatever..did u call for a tow?..I had a similiar incident after being at the track..was driving home and started slipping..so i drove her home maually and it was for the most part it was fine..Ill know more soon..
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Teching In

luckily a buddy was right behind me and pulled me back to the shop

Quick Reply: broke pump? torque converter?