Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 problem, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 700R4 problem, please help!!

I have a freshly rebuilt 700r4, a new stock stall converter, with a lokar cable kit, and a painless wiring lock up switch behind a carbureted 350. No matter the idle, the car shifts extremely hard going from park to drive or reverse. So hard, it will chirp the tires, also we are having trouble with the car idling. Any help will be very thankful for.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Lower your idle and check transmission line pressure at idle. You should have roughly 80lbs @ idle.
Most likely the geometry for the TV cable is wrong on your carb, making line pressure too high @ idle. They sell a bolt on bracket that corrects the geometry on Holley's and eledrobrock carbs.
Your idle has to come down first.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Disconnect the tv cable and see if it works right. Don't drive with it disconnected.

Did the carb come from a vehicle with a 700? or did you get a geometry correction bracket for it?
How did you adjust the cable?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

How much tension is there on the TV cable with the throttle closed?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I'll check the cable first thing in the morning before work. Also, Im running a road demon carburetor, with the adjustable lokar cable, will I need to run the bracket for the geometry correction?

thanks for the help guys, with out it I would still be blaming my converter
Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buzzo
I'll check the cable first thing in the morning before work. Also, Im running a road demon carburetor, with the adjustable lokar cable, will I need to run the bracket for the geometry correction?
Yes.
But the problem now (without the geometry bracket) is if you adjust the tv cable the most common way, where it's at full pull at WOT, it's usually too loose at idle. So if thats the case thats not your problem.

Thats why I say just disconnect it and see if it slams into gear. If it doesn't then it's the cable, if it still does it then it's not the cable. It's a 2 minute test.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

We unhooked the cable, it's still doing the same thing.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

At this point you need to start looking for the cause of the problem.
The pan needs to come off. The throttle valve can be looked at and taken out to see if it's sticking. Then the valve body can be taken off and inspected. If nothing found there then take the transmission out and take it apart.

There is a way to tell is the throttle valve is sticking by pulling the tv cable.

You could first connect a pressure gauge, see what the pressure is, if it's high thats a problem to look for. If it's not high then there could be a clearance issue in the setup of the clutches and other things.

Quick Reply: 700R4 problem, please help!!