Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80E / 6L90E tow haul mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80E / 6L90E tow haul mode?

I spent the better part of today reading a **** ton of threads today on this transmission but I never saw this mentioned. I originally had a LQ9 4L65E eye'd up to swap into my Wrangler but this A6 would really broaden the versatility of my rig.

I assume like damn near every auto these days this thing has a tow / haul mode as well? Also if this feature is present (which I'm assuming it is) does it lock out both overdrives? Or just one and the converter or something entirely different?

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronicRage
I spent the better part of today reading a **** ton of threads today on this transmission but I never saw this mentioned. I originally had a LQ9 4L65E eye'd up to swap into my Wrangler but this A6 would really broaden the versatility of my rig.

I assume like damn near every auto these days this thing has a tow / haul mode as well? Also if this feature is present (which I'm assuming it is) does it lock out both overdrives? Or just one and the converter or something entirely different?

Thanks for your time.
I have used the tow/haul in a Chevy truck , borrowed my uncles truck, while pulling a car and I hated it! Unless you loaded very heavy ie if you use the Tow/Haul while not hauling anything the downshifts were very violent at best! IIR it locks out 6th as well. But not sure.

If you do a 6l80 swap I wouldn't worry about it. With out looking at a wiring print, I am sure it routes the T?H function trough the damn BCM like the TUTD function!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 PM

fwiw John over at Speartech informed me this feature was handled thru the body module and was a huge bummer to deal with. Such is life LOL.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bo185
I have used the tow/haul in a Chevy truck , borrowed my uncles truck, while pulling a car and I hated it! Unless you loaded very heavy ie if you use the Tow/Haul while not hauling anything the downshifts were very violent at best! IIR it locks out 6th as well. But not sure.

If you do a 6l80 swap I wouldn't worry about it. With out looking at a wiring print, I am sure it routes the T?H function trough the damn BCM like the TUTD function!
BO,

No reason to be mad.

Tap up/Tap down feature does not need BCM to function. You will need to load Corvette Shift program in TCM to do it.

John Spear (SpearTech) did this on his 6L80E truck testbed build using momentary contact switch. Later on he converted TU/TD shifter out of a caddy to do it with corvette program for another customer.

John converted a G8 TU/TD shifter back in 2008 so I could manual shift my 66 Midyear. NO BCM used.

You can PU/PD with paddles shifters from aftermarket vendors of them.

Check 6L90E does go in Camaro build in Hybrid/Conversion forum. He was using switches, and working on building his on paddle shifter for build.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tow mode is simply a pre-programmed algorithm for the TCM to hold gears longer to keep the engine in the power band. A good tuner can simply make that adjustment in your base tune to identify when the motor/truck is under a heavy load.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
BO,

No reason to be mad.

Tap up/Tap down feature does not need BCM to function. You will need to load Corvette Shift program in TCM to do it.

John Spear (SpearTech) did this on his 6L80E truck testbed build using momentary contact switch. Later on he converted TU/TD shifter out of a caddy to do it with corvette program for another customer.

John converted a G8 TU/TD shifter back in 2008 so I could manual shift my 66 Midyear. NO BCM used.

You can PU/PD with paddles shifters from aftermarket vendors of them.

Check 6L90E does go in Camaro build in Hybrid/Conversion forum. He was using switches, and working on building his on paddle shifter for build.
Does anyone know what year 'vette programs work without the body module for tap up/down or do they all function that way?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any year used with the 6l80 trans will work. The trucks use the BCM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Any year used with the 6l80 trans will work. The trucks use the BCM.
So just add the tap shift wire to the harness and flash in the 'vette program?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flash the TCM inside the trans correct.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Flash the TCM inside the trans correct.
Thanks! Any particular year 'vette program better?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

I thought the Trans program and ECM program had to match or there would be issues. I'm running a 2010 silverado 5.3L/6L80e combo. I have had a harness made but I was told I needed a BCM to use tap shifting. I have a caddy shifter with Taps I would like to use. Is there a way to make it work with this setup and no BCM? Thanks guys
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

in my 2011 truck, the tow mode locks out 6th gear, holds shifts longer
Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leesnuts
I thought the Trans program and ECM program had to match or there would be issues.
Is this true? What is required to "flash" a TCM?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

On my 13 sierra 6.2/6l80 i like the tow haul feature for pulling, holds shifts longer, also downshifts to help braking. It will go into 6th but only above around 72mph. On my old 4spd trucks i had my tow haul as my "race mode" 0 torque management, reduced shift times etc. Now i believe on the E38 ECM there is Shift pattern a, b, c? Been a while since i looked at it in HPtuners, but i believe there is one pattern for having it in "D" and no " tow haul", "D" with tow haul on, and then one for each with the selector in "M" for manual mode. I know speartech has a tap up/down floor shifter for using the manual mode with 6l80/6l90 swaps, i am thinking about purchasing this for my L92/6l90 swap in my 92 c1500. Hope this gives you some insight.

Quick Reply: 6L80E / 6L90E tow haul mode?