Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have the correct converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have the correct converter

I bought a cheap converter off ebay and the ad said call if it was a 98+ model so I did (98 Z28). Well the guy seemed like he was in a hurry and not sure if he completely understood what I was saying. Anyways just got my new converter and just want to make sure its a LS1 style and not the old LT1 style. From the center of a bolt hole to the center of another is 9.25 inches can anyone measure their's and let me know. Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 PM

I think the best way to check this is going to be to hold it up to you flex plate while on your engine. Make sure that the bolt holes line up to one of the two bolt patterns on the FP. Also make sure that the pilot of the converter goes into the crank on your engine. If this all looks well then you should be good to go. Vince
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Ya just trying to get an idea before I pull the trans. Hoping to just replace it tomorrow and be back on the road tomorrow afternoon. trying to avoid too much down time.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

doesn't the LT1 style 4L60 use a smaller diameter input shaft?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some 98s call for a different style converter than other 98s as well, can't remember what it was that they changed.
Shouldn't cheap out in the converter. You can get a ptc 450$. Not a billet but probably built better than that and more efficient while hitting way harder.

Converter will make or break a setup, period.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some 98s call for a different style converter than other 98s as well, can't remember what it was that they changed.
Shouldn't cheap out in the converter. You can get a ptc 450$. Not a billet but probably built better than that and more efficient while hitting way harder.

Converter will make or break a setup, period.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

ya, im not looking for any performance gains, i grandma my car 99% of the time, The converter that is in there feels like it wants to lock and unlock at random while going on long hauls. So I bought a replacement converter and a trans cooler in hopes to remedy the problem without having to rebuild the trans.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

On the locking and unlocking, let me give you some insight on that. I had a similar problem on an older 700r4, which has a computer lock-up function just like the 4l60e. It would lock and unlock randomly as i was driving at particular speeds. Come to find out the temp sensor was broken off and obviously not functioning. The gauge used a different sensor and it was still functioning correctly. What this was doing was tricking the computer and causing the computer to unlock the converter BC the converter will only lock up after/above a certain motor temp. The 4l60e is like this as well. Random locking and unlocking may be being commanded bc of something similar. I would have looked into a lot of things before replacing the tranny and converter bc you may have not fixed your problem even though your wallet is a lot lighter.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I posted about this problem a while back and everyone said either put a shift kit in it or put a converter in it. I installed the transgo kit and it still does it so I was hoping the converter and cooler would help

Quick Reply: Do I have the correct converter