Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e cooler line fitting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e cooler line fitting question

me and my friend are doing a 4l80e swap in his car. we have the special fitting for the rear with the tube on the end. i didn't realise the cooler fitting location varried on these transmissions and i hear you dont need the special fitting if the lines enter the trans next to each other toward the front. do you only need this fitting for the ones that's line is near the tailshaft of the trans? and if i don't need the special one, which fittings do i need? i assume the ones that came out of the 4l60e. i'll post a picture of our trans so you can see our line set-up. thanks.

also, we were told this came from an '03 truck.

Name:  cooler.jpg
Views: 9179
Size:  65.6 KB

Last edited by dutinsss; 05-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM

On the 97 and later units you are correct you will need a fitting with the extension on it for the rear fitting. The front cooling fitting is the same as what is in the 4l60e. HTH Vince
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have the fitting(you can see it in the picture sitting on the trans). when we screwed it in, it wouldn't thread all the way in. it would hit someting and actually bent the end a little. we thought the threads were just gummed up with thread sealer but it's definately hitting something.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

the trans you have is prob a 96 back, there is a tag on the DS that tells the year-they moved the return line further back after 97 i think, and it uses the long fitting back there-the trans shown uses 2 short ones, both up front
if you switch to AN fittings, get the correct threaded ones, 1/4-18 straight
i hope you didnt damage the threads trying to screw that wrong one in
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

nah, the threads are fine. i found a flashlight and looked into the hole and after the threaded portion, the fluid passage takes a 90 degree right turn so i just put the old 4l60e fittings in both holes. it's hard to believe this is that old of a trans. the junkyard we got it from said it came out of an '03 truck.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
nah, the threads are fine. i found a flashlight and looked into the hole and after the threaded portion, the fluid passage takes a 90 degree right turn so i just put the old 4l60e fittings in both holes. it's hard to believe this is that old of a trans. the junkyard we got it from said it came out of an '03 truck.
They Lied,, Its a 97 or older, I just got a good schooling on the 4l80e, the two lines together is the older one, the newer one has a fitting around the middle/rear of the trans. I was at Jakes 2 days ago picking mine up, COMPLETELY AWESOME Guy to deal with.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

well we found out we've been lied to on the year. it has the old style cooler lines and it's missing the 12 o'clock bolt hole on the bell housing. we're going to try to get the junk yard we got it from to swap it for a new style but if we have to use this one what needs to be changed for the earlier style verses the newer style? we have our yoke, wiring harness from speartech, converter, we're using the stock ls1 flexplate, lokar dipstick tube, is there anything different about converthing to an earlier style 4l80e than the later style? thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I understand, the only difference is that the cooler lines are in different places, because the newer ones went to a different lubrication flow path. the newer ones do have a bolt up top as the olders do not. The newer ones have a smaller OD unit in them, Jake likes the older OD units. I bought the older unit. He has built a ton of them out there. The converter setup is the same, If you are using an LS1 flexplate, are you using a spacer, or did you just have your converter built for using an LS1 flexplate?

Last edited by RARON455; 05-01-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am right on the same road as you, In the middle of this swap, Got my trans, billet converter, gotta get the harness, which crossmember did you go with? Figure out which shifter your gonna run?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

my friend(the owner of the car) called and ordered the converter and i'm pretty sure he ordered it custom to fit the ls1 flexplate. we're using a bmr crossmember with the torque arm mount integrated into it. we're using the stock shifter. we put the 4l60e shifter bracket on it so the cable should just pop right on. as long as the conversion is the same as the newer style, we don't mind that we ended up with the older style, just worried since we ordered everything and expected to get a newer one.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

one thing you have to be aware of is GM changed the case plug in, i belive 93, so if the trans is older it might have the wrong plug-as i said, there is a tag on it that tells the year-most older ones have been changed
some co's charge more for 97 up cores, so maybe a bargain point with the junkyard
may have come out of a 03, but not an 03 trans
one thing i have found, some later trans with the return in the center support, are missing the 12 o clock hole, i suspect from the factory for a non GM body????
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i made sure the plug on our adapter harness fit our 4l80e and it does so we should be good. the junkyard finally agreed to try to locate a newer model unit and swap it out but around here, they're scarce. we'll probably just stick to the plan and use this one.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default Fittings

If you have a little extra cash you can always convert it over to braided stainless lines and get a quick release fitting for the tranny.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
i made sure the plug on our adapter harness fit our 4l80e and it does so we should be good. the junkyard finally agreed to try to locate a newer model unit and swap it out but around here, they're scarce. we'll probably just stick to the plan and use this one.
Nothing wrong with the 97 and older units....I'd get a discount and keep the older style core.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the placement of the trans cooler fittings on the older units. I have a newer unit and that rear cooler fitting was a pain in the butt. It's nice when they're both up front because you have better access.

Quick Reply: 4l80e cooler line fitting question