Sponsored by:

Inconsistent Lockup issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inconsistent Lockup issues...

A little info on the trans/converter:

Level 5 4l80e from FLT...controlled by 4l60e segment using relay mod.
Circle D multi-disk billet converter...3400 stall

So, I recently got this car running and cooling issues ironed out. I've put maybe 400 miles on it since it was completed, and am trying to work out the rest of the "bugs" before taking it to the dyno.

Last night, I got a P1860 code (internal slippage) and noticed that before the code was thrown, the lockup engagement seemed to be erratic. So, I cleared the codes this morning, and drove the car 60 miles to work without any codes being thrown. However, now it seems that the converter is not locking up at all. Before it quit entirely, it would unlock with ANY SLIGHTEST lift of the throttle while at cruise, and would lock up again with any slight pressure on the throttle.

Are there any others running this converter/trans combo/controller combo that might be willing to let me take a look at their transmission tune in HPT? I'm really just trying to sort out whether this is a bad hardware/lockup solenoid issue, or maybe a tune issue on my end.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to delete P1860 with HPTuners, as you can't change the gear ratios in the tune (you can with EFILive), and when the converter locks up, it will calculate the gear ratio.

You also should max out all your misfire tables, as the PCM will think a small converter is causing misfires.

Also, when you manually lock up the converter with the scanner, does it still unlock with the slightest throttle?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow67
Need to delete P1860 with HPTuners, as you can't change the gear ratios in the tune (you can with EFILive), and when the converter locks up, it will calculate the gear ratio.

You also should max out all your misfire tables, as the PCM will think a small converter is causing misfires.

Also, when you manually lock up the converter with the scanner, does it still unlock with the slightest throttle?
I was wondering about the code deletion....I thought that I followed all the swap instructions, but must have missed this one.

I'll try it all again tonight after work, and lock the converter through HPT and see what happens.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that's weird....p1860 IS deleted in my tune. Hmmm. Maybe it was P1870....now I can't remember. Just for the hell of it, I replaced the pressure sensor and the lockup solenoid in the transmission (even though the trans is fresh....it was cheap enough) and serviced the transmission. Everything looked good, except I'm a little suspicious of the trans level dipstick reading. I used one of the Lokar flexable ones, and I'm wondering if it is reading correctly....as in maybe it's reading "full" too soon.

I'll attach a pic....any ideas??

EDIT: Looks like the reading was off by 1/2 inch.....not that far, but it's fixed now. I guess I'll find out how everything goes on the drive home tonight.......
Attached Thumbnails Inconsistent Lockup issues...-img_20110730_125429.jpg  

Last edited by salemetro; 07-30-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Its looks a hair low, you should pick up a dipstick stop for 4l80es.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well.....it happened again. Code P1870.

I was cruising at 65....and the lockup disengaged, and tripped the code. Any thoughts? Anyone have a tune using a similar stall in a 4l80e that I can look at? I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my converter. On the way home, I used HPT to manually switch the lockup.....and yeah, it worked...but locked up like a stock converter....maybe even softer. It's a multi-disk lockup converter, and used to hit HARD when it engaged (or at least that's what I THOUGHT was happening). Maybe some other issue?

Honestly, I'm at a loss. I'm just beginning to try to educate myself in regards to tuning, so any thoughts here are welcome.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Gingervitis Addict

PM me your email address....
Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow67
PM me your email address....
Done. And thanks.....I've been racking my brain on force motor current tables, etc. So much for easy LOL.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

All is GREAT now! A big thanks to ya for your help.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by salemetro
All is GREAT now! A big thanks to ya for your help.
What ended up being the problem? I'm having similar problems with my built 4l60e and FTI converter. Sometimes she'll lock up and other times she won't
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTOworshiper9
What ended up being the problem? I'm having similar problems with my built 4l60e and FTI converter. Sometimes she'll lock up and other times she won't
I needed to delete P1870 in my tune, and that fixed it. I was not aware that I had to delete it, as I was not informed of this prior. I'm not suggesting that it would help you, as I'm no tuner....and my setup is very different from yours. Sorry, I wish that I could help.

I ended-up looking at another similar tune file, and noticed the difference...then Slow67 confirmed it for me.

Keep poking around in here, and I'm sure that you'll find someone who can help you out. Good luck
Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Misfire detection is another one that causes people problems with lockup. Its somewhere in the engine management.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by salemetro
I needed to delete P1870 in my tune, and that fixed it. I was not aware that I had to delete it, as I was not informed of this prior. I'm not suggesting that it would help you, as I'm no tuner....and my setup is very different from yours. Sorry, I wish that I could help.

I ended-up looking at another similar tune file, and noticed the difference...then Slow67 confirmed it for me.

Keep poking around in here, and I'm sure that you'll find someone who can help you out. Good luck
Originally Posted by drone
Misfire detection is another one that causes people problems with lockup. Its somewhere in the engine management.
Thanks guys