Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission upgrades during stall swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission upgrades during stall swap?

New stall is going in and I was wondering if there was anything else I should really do while the transmission is dropped? Tranny has 115k on with no issues at all. Goals for the car are right around 400rwhp.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default just my opinion

Originally Posted by arock24
New stall is going in and I was wondering if there was anything else I should really do while the transmission is dropped? Tranny has 115k on with no issues at all. Goals for the car are right around 400rwhp.
I would do a shift kit, replace the accumulator pistons with new ones or pinless from sonnax. also if you were doing a servo in the future while the trans is out this would be the time. also check out the sonnax servo release valve. it helps with the servo release on the 2-3 shift saving the band from dragging and the 3-4 clutches. hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Launching!

if its out because you're swapping stall,it wont last long once you reinstall it.you need to get it completely rebuilt before installing.why would you want to put in a nice new convertor(which you know you'll want to beat on) up to a tranny with 115 thousand miles?do you expect to get another 115k miles out if it?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could probably find a low mile junkyard pullout 4l60e for a few hundred bucks, would suck to have to pull it back out after a short time later and possible get junk in your new converter.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Launching!

I've heard of multiple people running upgraded stalls on stock transmissions. I would rather go ahead and do a rebuild than a swap. I won't be "abusing" anything, and I figured not that much would have to be done since I haven't had a single issue. Not to say I'm not willing to strengthen the transmission a little bit, but I would think a complete rebuild would be over the top.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as long as your trans is in good working order now and you install a big cooler then you should be fine maybe a shift kit to firm things up a bit but other than that go for it. plenty of people stall their 100k trannys with no issues the key to keeping a trans aliv e is not over revving it and keeping it COOL.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have read for years that a shift kit was good until I read on Yanks website that it isnt true. From Yanks website...
Is a shift kit required or recommended?

10. Yank Performance Converters can achieve maximum performance and efficiency without the use of shift kits. Shift kits dramatically raise transmission line pressure to increase shift firmness. Increased shift firmness will not increase performance, but create unnecessary stress on the transmission and other drive-line components.

Found on this page...http://www.converter.cc/FAQ_s/45.htm
Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I have read for years that a shift kit was good until I read on Yanks website that it isnt true. From Yanks website...
Is a shift kit required or recommended?

10. Yank Performance Converters can achieve maximum performance and efficiency without the use of shift kits. Shift kits dramatically raise transmission line pressure to increase shift firmness. Increased shift firmness will not increase performance, but create unnecessary stress on the transmission and other drive-line components.

Found on this page...http://www.converter.cc/FAQ_s/45.htm
many shifts kits can installed in different levels of firmness. of course the super hard drag level shifts are going to shave life off your transmission but if you dont get carried away it actually will prolong tranny life. its like sometimes more horsepower is more efficency and therefore more fuel economy until you get carried away. the gas mileage goes down and stuff breaks. does this make sense?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gofasterdammit
many shifts kits can installed in different levels of firmness. of course the super hard drag level shifts are going to shave life off your transmission but if you dont get carried away it actually will prolong tranny life. its like sometimes more horsepower is more efficency and therefore more fuel economy until you get carried away. the gas mileage goes down and stuff breaks. does this make sense?
This^. A good softer shift kit will allow less clutch slippage inside the tranny when it switches gears thus making prolonging the life of the innards of the transmission. However a hard race kit will do the same thing but put more stress on the clutches and such thus causing a shorter trans life.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Would it be safe to go with the transgo? I would be doing the shift kit more to prolong the life of the transmission.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

The modified TransGo Shift kit that I offer will give you the best chance at transmission durability. It will offer smooth part throttle shifts and the shifts getting quicker with more throttle. I add the Torlon checkballs to keep the separator plate from being destroyed by the steel checkballs. Working with the accumulation will enhance the transmission life, working against it will shorten the life of the transmission, especially with the 1-2 shift.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gofasterdammit
To bad they couldnt go into detail more about why they gave the answer they did. I supose its just like anything and they would need to write 50 pages to explain. Theres always something else to it
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Install a Yank ST3600 10-11 years ago @ about10-15000 miles into a OE stock 4l60e with a ext cooler, OE trans ran good 8-9 years @ about 50 k miles I damanged trans by hot laping after rebuilding have had several rebuilds because of hot lapping high temps
now on 4 th rebuild @ 75k running Yank SS4000 with 2 ext coolers and still have heat problems if slow crusing for extended time
Johnny
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Guess I'll go with a shift kit and roll the dice
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It will definitely enhance shift quality and overall performance. The only question is whether you should go deeper into it at this stage of the game.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just took my car back to the builders to have the trans dropped. The car was owned by my father in law when I bought it, 90k on clock and I know the car couldn't have had more than 10 pulls on it from the time it was new. Overly babied.. I put my stall in at 95k, at 99.5k, its shot. I have no doubts that the converter just done the trans in. A lot of people on here have luck with the transmission holding up after installing a converter.. I wasn't one of them. So, just remember, it expensive to play and sooner it later, its going to bite ya. Best of luck though man..
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while the trans is out you may want to upgrade your flexplate. many people have had issues with the stock flexplates cracking.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by PBA
The modified TransGo Shift kit that I offer will give you the best chance at transmission durability. It will offer smooth part throttle shifts and the shifts getting quicker with more throttle. I add the Torlon checkballs to keep the separator plate from being destroyed by the steel checkballs. Working with the accumulation will enhance the transmission life, working against it will shorten the life of the transmission, especially with the 1-2 shift.
This sounds like a very good suggestion to me. The Torlon ***** are a nice addition; I have then on order for my next rebuild.

Since installing a shift kit requires removing the valve body, you should consider some maintenance on the valve body. From what I read, the AFL valve (behind the Pressure Control Solenoid) has a tendency to wear in its bore, resulting in uneven and low line pressure, which results in all the clutches slipping. Sonnax makes a "fix it". Similarly, the 1-2 Accumulator valve can wear and need a "fit it" kit; however the HD2 comes with a new one. The transmission builders I spoke to said the AFL valve was the "big one" to check. I'm no expert - just my opinions based mostly on research.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Appreciate all the info guys, I'm taking it all in. Obviously a rebuild is inevitable for the transmission, but so is the rear end. In a perfect world, I'd be replacing them all at once, but not in the budget. The car will see minimal launches and even miles at that. I'm just looking to wake up my week end warrior.

Sounds like the HD2 kit is the best choice economically.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You'll like what the kit does for your tranny. You'll want to tune out 3rd gear lock-up with it, btw.

Quick Reply: Transmission upgrades during stall swap?