Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E shift kit trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60E shift kit trouble.

Pulled the pan last weekend, and when I examined my drained fluid, this steel pin was sitting there. Preparing to put it all back together, I don't know what this is, or where it goes? Looked at every schematic I can find, photos, can't find this anywhere. It is possible it was sitting on the top of my drain pan before I ever removed the tranny pan, too.

Nolan
Attached Thumbnails 4l60E shift kit trouble.-20120407_071158sm.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

it appears to be an accumulator pin

http://transmissiontechnologies.com/...l/7775402k.jpg
Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...0pics/sk18.jpg
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks Mikey - Disassembled and the accumulator pin is there as it should be, so that's not it. The accumulator pin is about a 1/4 inch longer, and a bit thinner.

I didn't think it would have been that because I discovered this in the pan before removing the valve body (I think).

Any other ideas? I will probably reassemble as is Tuesday or Wednesday whether I can identify it or not.

Nolan
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Looks like the 3-4 accumulator that is located in the case. Pretty common mistake I have seen made.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince B
Looks like the 3-4 accumulator that is located in the case. Pretty common mistake I have seen made.

There is still a pin in the 3-4 accumulator housing. It has a smaller diameter than this piece left over, too. I think I am going to reassemble without it and see what happens. Finally got all my stuff together, that's the only mystery left.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

i just tore apart my whole tranny last week and the only dowels that look like that are the accumulators.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I got it all back together, and around the block. Have a slight whirring sound I have not heard before, but maybe everything just has to get re-lubricated?

Seemed fine.. gonna let it warm up, top of the fluid, and maybe drive it to work tomorrow? AAA card ready just in case?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Drove 10-12 miles, no codes or anything. It does shift different, but I have 10 years of 'the usual' to get un-used to. May try driving it tomorrow to work and see.. Seems fine though.

I do still have an odd sound when it's in drive (sitting still, can't hear it when I'm moving) that I haven't heard of.. will see if that goes away or not.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Teching In

So after putting some miles on it, I am having what I think people refer to as "3-4 flare"..

I can be driving at around 70 mph, and if I give it a little gas, it revs up a bit without going faster.. if I let off a bit, it re-engages and then speeds up.

So basically if I give it a little gas, it'll increase RPM's but not speed.

I did drill I think 2 of the holes on the separator plate to the smaller diameter bit from the Transgo hd2 kit.

What is my problem?

Nolan
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do a pressure test? Whirring at idle makes me think of the pump.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the diameter on that thing....looks to me like the 3-4 accum. pin. If missing, 4th ain't gonna feel right. I just block the hole in the case, never had someone complain about 4th gear hitting to hard LOL
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I have a pressure gauge on order to check the pressures. I confirmed earlier that this is not the 3-4 pin. Still no idea what it could be.

Damn now I'm wondering if I checked the 1-2 and not the 3-4. I hate second guessing myself. I do remember popping open the 1-2 one last time.

I bet it is the 3-4 since the thread here (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...e-transgo.html) references the same dimensions as what I posted a pic of up there.

Last edited by NolanTA; 04-17-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Okay so I have it back apart again, and it is in fact the 3-4 accumulator pin. But when I insert the pin, the plastic piston that will rest against the separator plate doesn't look like it will sit flush once I start to reinstall the separator plate.

I assume it would/should compress a bit, but it doesn't seem to, and I'm concerned with how I will hold/shim the piston onto the case (under the car, gravity and all) while I prepare/put the separator on.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Teching In

see how it doesn't look flush?
Attached Thumbnails 4l60E shift kit trouble.-20120418_183643.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

So weird.. this video, at :53 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leR6KtWI4EA

they install the separator plate without the piston that goes on the case side. they call it the spacer plate. Between looking at the TransGo instructions here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html (see 4th accumulator part) I am not sure how to reassemble.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NolanTA
see how it doesn't look flush?
That's the way it's supposed to be. You should be using the yellow spring and you should be able to push it down into the bore with a tight spring back. It should be a nice sealed fit with a fresh o-ring. Install it and put the separator plate on then install the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator housing assembly to hold it all together.

In some cases (like mine) the piston is aluminum, and you can push it into the bore and it will actually stick there a little. If you find there is too much resistance check it for damage.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So weird.. this video, at :53 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leR6KtWI4EA

they install the separator plate without the piston that goes on the case side. they call it the spacer plate. Between looking at the TransGo instructions here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html (see 4th accumulator part) I am not sure how to reassemble.

These are instructions for a stock rebuild, not a transmission with a Transgo shift kit. In the Transgo instructions (and some other shift kits) they put the spring in first, then the piston. I have the Transgo kit. In a stock build the piston goes in first, then the spring, which rests against the separator plate.

In both cases the spring or the piston will be slightly higher than the case (approx. 1/8") and will have to be pushed down by bolting down the 1-2 housing.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Speedy
These are instructions for a stock rebuild, not a transmission with a Transgo shift kit. In the Transgo instructions (and some other shift kits) they put the spring in first, then the piston. I have the Transgo kit. In a stock build the piston goes in first, then the spring, which rests against the separator plate.

In both cases the spring or the piston will be slightly higher than the case (approx. 1/8") and will have to be pushed down by bolting down the 1-2 housing.
The pin is what won't compress, though, see the picture I've attached. The pin doesn't fit through the hole in the piston, and is longer than the spring, so what is the spring supposed to compress against? the spring is loose between the case and the piston.
Attached Thumbnails 4l60E shift kit trouble.-20120418_193029.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

The pin is what won't compress, though, see the picture I've attached. The pin doesn't fit through the hole in the piston, and is longer than the spring, so what is the spring supposed to compress against? the spring is loose between the case and the piston.

Thanks for being patient, I'm 98% sure I'm doing something dumb, just don't want to break anything. Your help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: 4l60E shift kit trouble.