Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mad Dog Transmissions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maddoglou454
The 4L65 has to have a bolt hole on the top dead center at the bellhousing. If if it doesnt have 7 bolt holes on the bell housing; it is not a 4L65E. The 4l65 does have a bigger imput shaft and stater. It has its own converter which is larger than a 4L60. Like i said in my video; If it does have a bolt hole at 12 o'clock, its much easier to find it that way.

The early model 4L65 from 1998- 2004 only have 4 pinion planataries. Late 2005 and up, came with 5 pinion Planataries. But you can call it whatever you like.. Have a nice day.
Its a late model 4l60e not early 4l65e. All of the 4l60e's that came behind these LS1's had the top bolt hole.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

The 4L65 has to have a bolt hole on the top dead center at the bellhousing. If if it doesnt have 7 bolt holes on the bell housing; it is not a 4L65E. The 4l65 does have a bigger imput shaft and stater. It has its own converter which is larger than a 4L60. Like i said in my video; If it does have a bolt hole at 12 o'clock, its much easier to find it that way.

The early model 4L65 from 1998- 2004 only have 4 pinion planataries. Late 2005 and up, came with 5 pinion Planataries. But you can call it whatever you like.. Have a nice day.
Wow, nearly every statement here is either completely wrong or misleading. Scary that someone building transmissions would make them, not knowing better. It does not appear that he has ever read the ATSG 4L60E Update manual and certainly has not memorized it.

Bellhousing - Starting in 1998 the bellhousing with the bolt hole at the top was introduced. It is 1/4" deeper than before and accomondates the 300mm converter. It was designed for LS engines. Therefore if you have a trans with the top bolt hole, you know it requires a 300mm converter and will bolt right up to an LS engine (and not directly to an LT or SBC engine).
It DOES NOT tell you whether it is a 4L60E or 4L65E; the vast majority will be 4L60E.

4L65E - This was introduced in 2001 for select models with 6.0L LS engines (e.g. LS2). All 4L65E have:
* A 7 friction 3/4 clutch (instead of 6 frictions in a 4L60E)
* 5-pinion front and rear planetary carriers.
* A hardened input shaft

Also starting in 2001, some 4L60E and all 4L65e had the hardened sun shell and roller thrust bearing. I suspect that by 2002 all 4L60E did as well.

Around 2007, many 4L60E and 4L65E came with a input speed sensor. This required a change to the input shaft and pump. With a keen eye you can tell its a 2007+ unit because the pump has a visible sealing gasket (instead of hidden O-ring). GM started to call the 4L65E the 4L70E, leading to a lot of confusion. Some people think a speed sensor indicates a 4L65E or 4L70E, and not is not true, the 4L60E have them too.

Based on what I have read and comments by other builders here there is NO WAY to look at a trans and tell whether it is a 4L60E or a 4L65E. Certainly NOT by just looking for the top bolt hole.

4L65E never had 4-pinion planetaries, and they did not even exist before 2001.

Also the 4L65E does not have a bigger input shaft, stator or converter than the 4L60E. These things did change in 1998 and to some extent again in 2007, but they affected all 4L60E and 4L65E units at the same time.

I hope that some of the "expert" trans builders here confirm this information and correct anything I got wrong.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Everyone deservers a second chance,and with that opportunity you better be sure the info and statements are correct.

But just based on the misleading/wrong facts both here and in the video's,I would rather deal with another builder.

As a business owner,I wish luck with correcting all the past history with your farthers company.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Launching!

what builder posts pics of himself with his arms crossed to promote their product?
seems silly to me.like laughable silly.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 AM

I often find it funny that most internet companies like to refer to a 65 as having the 12 o'clock bolt hole. When in reality this 300mm bell, stator and turbine shaft were in production in 98 and its not a production 65. If I remember correctly the 5 pinion planets became available in 2001 and this is what made the 65 come to life. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and just don't remember! With this change the turbine shaft and output shaft changed. In later years the rear ring gear and sun gears changed as well and will have an ID groove built into them. Often times it's hard to ID the output shaft in these units from the factory but the input shaft has an ID groove in it. I have found some of these updated parts in 4 pinion planet units as well in the later years.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
My buddy ordered a built TH400 from you AFTER I told him not to after I google searched and 2nd gear went out in less than 2 weeks... just sayin'.. good luck with your future
Okay time to update this. After the TH400 let go of 2nd gear within 2 weeks and the converter was bad, you "did right by him" and fixed it no charge from what he told me. He received the fixed trans and it sat for awhile along with the converter. Well he finally got around to installing the fixed trans. Can anyone guess what happened next? If you guessed 2nd gear went out AGAIN we have a winner!!

Is this ringing a bell yet Lou? He said you are sending him a brand new trans now and wanted him to pay shipping charges or something I don't know I wasn't really listening when he told me this because I was too wrapped around the idea of how stupid it was to give you a THIRD chance.

Just a little background for those reading this. The car is a 99 Camaro with a 408/TH400/9". Just a street car. Motor made 526 rwhp thru a T56. He does have a 300 shot direct port but has never used it due to no tune and standalone hooked up etc.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen guys... I am not going to get into a pissing contest... I have been doing this for 27 years and counting, and we ship out 20 to 25 Transmissions a week. We made sure we get it right the first time.

I am going to stay professional. If you guys think your right...then whatever you guys say... All I can say is what i know.. And I do this for a living.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Listen guys... I am not going to get into a pissing contest... I have been doing this for 27 years and counting, and we ship out 20 to 25 Transmissions a week. We made sure we get it right the first time.

I am going to stay professional. If you guys think your right...then whatever you guys say... All I can say is what i know.. And I do this for a living.
Must be the longest running scam on LS1tech by far.. well done!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

Yes I talked to Ed, earlier this week, and I am building him a completely different TH400. All on my expensive, including the shipping of the old transmission back to us. That's more than most companies will do. I sent him the transmissions, probably and 4 to 5 months ago, did not hear from him until last week, and I am going by his word that it was not run and maybe not properly installed..ect. Once again, I bend over backwards and honor my warranty 100%

Here is one of my Trans-brake TH400 with 890HP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgp8...8&feature=plcp

Okay time to update this. After the TH400 let go of 2nd gear within 2 weeks and the converter was bad, you "did right by him" and fixed it no charge from what he told me. He received the fixed trans and it sat for awhile along with the converter. Well he finally got around to installing the fixed trans. Can anyone guess what happened next? If you guessed 2nd gear went out AGAIN we have a winner!!

Is this ringing a bell yet Lou? He said you are sending him a brand new trans now and wanted him to pay shipping charges or something I don't know I wasn't really listening when he told me this because I was too wrapped around the idea of how stupid it was to give you a THIRD chance.

Just a little background for those reading this. The car is a 99 Camaro with a 408/TH400/9". Just a street car. Motor made 526 rwhp thru a T56. He does have a 300 shot direct port but has never used it due to no tune and standalone hooked up etc.

Last edited by maddoglou454; 05-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Another Customer:

Mine is doing Fine. Hammer on it regularly with no issues.
Thanks.

Darron Hartley
Supervisor, Natchitoches Field Operations
John Chance Land Surveys, Inc.-Fugro
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Default Mad Dog Transmissions built me a great tranny

Must be the longest running scam on LS1tech by far.. well done!
I just want to say I have a 1994 Chevy K2500 4X4 in excellent condition and had my transmission rebuilt by Mad Dog Transmissions last year - its a Level 4 4L80E, Stage 2, Torque 1,600. Tranny shifts smoother than ever and pulls a trailer loaded with stuff with no problem. I am very happy with it. Core charge was refunded promptly with no questions and no hassle. The transmission was built quickly and shipping was quick. They were fast to return my phone calls and helpful on all my questions. I would recommend them to anyone. At the end of the day **** happens from time to time and sounds like he made good on the situation.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Launching!

I did a google and most all complaints are from 2007 and 2009. Lou said on his 5/1/12 that he down sized from like 23 to 8 employees to focus less on quantity and more on quality. So bury the hacket about the past. How many bad experience's in 2012 since the refocus?? I've had a 700r4 from Lou back in 2009 and love it. Yes the torque converter wasn't the correct stall but it was free with the transmission. What's the difference if you buy a cheaper mad dog transmission or have a competitor want to sell you a $3,000 transmission that I knew I didn't need. My engine only made 580hp. Give him a break. He has admitted the mistakes he made in the past. How many others would do that? I'm betting not to many. They would blame it on the installation and not the build.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deion82
I did a google and most all complaints are from 2007 and 2009. Lou said on his 5/1/12 that he down sized from like 23 to 8 employees to focus less on quantity and more on quality. So bury the hacket about the past. How many bad experience's in 2012 since the refocus?? I've had a 700r4 from Lou back in 2009 and love it. Yes the torque converter wasn't the correct stall but it was free with the transmission. What's the difference if you buy a cheaper mad dog transmission or have a competitor want to sell you a $3,000 transmission that I knew I didn't need. My engine only made 580hp. Give him a break. He has admitted the mistakes he made in the past. How many others would do that? I'm betting not to many. They would blame it on the installation and not the build.
im not gonna buy one of his transmissions out of sympathy.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6
No one said anything about buying them, his point was to try to ease the constant attacks on Mad Dog. LEAVE MAD DOG ALONE! JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for the support guys! I love the positive feedback! Even the negative because I still take it that serious to fix it!

Thanks again guys for the support! More to come!

PS. Ed's TH400 went out yesterday.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the support guys! I love the positive feedback! Even the negative because I still take it that serious to fix it!

Thanks again guys for the support! More to come!

PS. Ed's TH400 went out yesterday.
Good man. I look forward to hearing how it goes when he gets it.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6
Seriously that's what you honestly got out of my post. Sympathy is the last thing i meant. He restructured to fix the problems in the past. Unless there's 20 more people complaining about a transmission bought from him this year. Let it go and see how they work out in the present not posts from 3 years ago.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM

FWIW, our experience with Lou and everyone at Mad Dog has always been helpful and pleasant. Keep in mind, no matter how good of a job you do in this industry, mistakes happen, people will claim you have wronged them, taken advantage of them, or not provided what you had promised. Even if you bend over backwards for every customer, some will not return, some will speak badly about you or your service. There is no pleasing all people at all times. With the wonder of the internet, it is unfortunate for all of us that people that are displeased with an experience or service are about 7,000 times more likely to post that experience on the internet, versus the other 99 out of 100 that were thoroughly pleased. We had very slight shifting problems with our Mad Dog transmission, but we called Lou, and he walked us through a few steps that were very helpful and alleviated the issue. I believe the saying is, "Do your job right and no one will notice, make one mistake and people will never forget." Mistakes happen. It is what happens after the mistake and how far the provider stands behind their product and services that really matters. From what I can tell, Lou is standing behind his product and trying to rebuild his reputation. Simply enough, let your work speak for itself. If your services had issue(s) in the past, let it be, move forward and continue to do your best. It will eventually outweigh the past mistakes. I for one, my shop and customer are pleased with not only the 4L80E transmission we received, but the service and education we received from Lou and his company. we ordered our tranny on a Tuesday afternoon, and were dumbfounded that we received it the very same Friday. That was not expected, and made a great impression on us right away. I don't expect my statement and vouching for Lou to turn things around, but also remember, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. People are vengeful creatures and can be very vindictive. It is far easier to take the low road than the high, which Lou appears to be trying to do here. Give the guy a break, let him rebuild his company without the headache of defending himself on a forum.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Launching!

look at the post counts for the people praising his transmissions.......
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cause4panic
look at the post counts for the people praising his transmissions.......
I noticed that too, lots of 1 post people who are popping up outta the wood work.

Whats gonna have to happen to clear him of the past is gonna be members on here getting quality transmissions & them not failing. Then once some good feedback starts to show up from actual forum members who arent sponsored by him (not pickin on charlie but thats different than a random board member), it'll change some peoples minds. Bad thing about a bad rep is its like getting rid of skunk smell. Once your sprayed no one wants to risk that much cash just b/c you say things have changed. Its gonna take proof as in new fresh customers reporting back good reviews like they do for other suppliers on this board.

Hard part about that is gonna be convincing people to spend their hard earned money with him on good faith hoping things have really changed. Those who do, if they receive a solid transmission will be the ones to help put him back on track & clear his name. Thats just how it works, especially in this industry.

Take me for instance, I'm lookin to swap to a auto this winter & will be considering all options for a built 4L60, top of my list right now are RPM/Performabuilt/FLT & Jakes. Prices vary between all these guys. Mad Dog has very appealing prices on his units, but without enough praise around here (or any 4th gen Ls car forums) about them I'm hesisitant to consider him as money for me is hard to come by & I want a tranny I dont have to worry about once its bolted in. I hate to be that way but given the past I simply cant afford to roll the dice so to speak & I'm sure many others are in the same boat. $2k is a good chunk of money to drop for most of us.

Quick Reply: Mad Dog Transmissions!