Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank converter lock up problem?? what next

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yank converter lock up problem?? what next

I have a yank py3600 in my 98 t/a ,and yesterday while driving 50mph ,with the converter in lock up, i began to SLIGHTLY accelerate and the converter slipped out of lock up and then violently locked back. now in lock up it feels like its sluggish and it dosent accelerate even close to normal. this only happens in lock up, all the shifts are perfect, it pulls hard and locks up at the right time but when it locks its just not right. i have pulled the pan and it is clean. should i pull the converter and send it back to yank or is the anything else i should try 1st. any help is much appriciated
Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it tuned for the stall? Did you mess with any of the settings in the computer? Did this just start to happen or has it happened since it was put in? need more info before you can get help.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be an issue with the lockup enable and PWM settings. Talk to your tunner about adjusting this stuff.

Originally Posted by ktktransam
I have a yank py3600 in my 98 t/a ,and yesterday while driving 50mph ,with the converter in lock up, i began to SLIGHTLY accelerate and the converter slipped out of lock up and then violently locked back. now in lock up it feels like its sluggish and it dosent accelerate even close to normal. this only happens in lock up, all the shifts are perfect, it pulls hard and locks up at the right time but when it locks its just not right. i have pulled the pan and it is clean. should i pull the converter and send it back to yank or is the anything else i should try 1st. any help is much appriciated
Old 04-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Teching In

i have been running this set up for about a year, with no problems.yes it is tuned for the stall. the trans has been rebuilt and the pwm was removed. i have never had this problem before, it just started happening. and i havent messed with any settings.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would start checking out the transmission.

i have been running this set up for about a year, with no problems.yes it is tuned for the stall. the trans has been rebuilt and the pwm was removed. i have never had this problem before, it just started happening. and i havent messed with any settings.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn that sucks...i thought you had the ss3600 like mine? hopefully you get it figured out.. damn autos and there out of nowhere problems..
Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1curious
I would start checking out the transmission.
well i have pulled the pan and have found no evidence of any metal or burt fluid. would you suggest tearing into the trans for further inspection?? also, would a faulty converter have any of these symptoms??
Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not so sure you have a trans or converter issue, With the converter its simple enough it either locks and holds or locks and slips. You say the car feels normal when not in lockup but feels sluggish in lockup. An engine running conditions would tend to show more in lockup than outside lockup. The harsh lockup could just be a symptom of the running condition, While anything is possible I would not be so quick to tear into the trans just yet particulary since the pan was clean. Maybe spend some time with a tuner first and see whats going on.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-13-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be a worn out or jammed converter PWM valve. Pretty common fialure and symptom on that unit.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1curious
Could be a worn out or jammed converter PWM valve. Pretty common fialure and symptom on that unit.
the trans has been rebuilt and the pwm was removed.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this bette rnot happen on my $725 brand new SS3600 i would be rip ****
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
this bette rnot happen on my $725 brand new SS3600 i would be rip ****
No **** !!! I just placed my SS3600 order from Yank !!! Im getting *******
sick and tired of replacing converters
Old 04-14-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
No **** !!! I just placed my SS3600 order from Yank !!! Im getting *******
sick and tired of replacing converters
yea man... this is my first converter, and i hope it will be my last for awhileeeeeee
Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

has anyone ever expirenced a slipping converter, what would be the symptoms of one?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that does not mean that the valve cannot jam in the bore when it comes to the enable circut. You can still have valveland bore wear issues cuase problems. However If you suspect there is a converter Issue I would get on the phone with yank.

the other more vauge possability is that the sealing ring for the lock up clutch has been nicked and or cut when installing the converter. The odds of this happening increase greatly if its a split ring instead of a sized ring..

Originally Posted by slimcracka
Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

has anyone ever expirenced a slipping converter, what would be the symptoms of one?
A slipping converter clutch will ordinarily impart a shutter in the vehicle at part throttle while pulling a slight incline at appx 50 mph in most vehicles when in lock up.

A quick and simple test to verify that indeed you are feeling a converter issue is to get it into lock up at steady throttle. Then very lightly apply the brake pedal with your left foot while holding a constant throttle pressure. Only depress the brake pedal enough to engage the switches. This will over ride or inhibit lock up. Once the rpm's increase release the brake pedal. Then notice how the converter clutch engages. If it is indeed slipping it will be very noticeable.

One surefire way to determine if the converter clutch is slipping is to visually inspect the front cover of the converter. This can be done while it is in the car... it is not easy, but it can be done. Remove the starter, remove the torque converter bolts, slide the converter back into the tranny pump. Then, look around the flat area of the flexplate side (front cover) of the converter. If the clutch has been slipping there will be an obvious darkening of the paint.

If it has been found that the converter clutch has been slipping you will then need to determine why it has been slipping. It could have been damaged some time ago and is just now showing symptoms, a solenoid may be malfunctioning, the solenoid filter / screen may be contaminated and so on... point is, the tranny must be very thoroughly visually inspected to determine the cause of the failure.

Hope that helps,

g
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

good info there...

guys that just bought the converters i wouldnt worrie if it is a converter related problem this guy has had this same converter in the car for about 8 years haha
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems..It would shift perfect but would lock up sloppily & when I touch the gas a little bit & it would unlock..Tried everything in the book to fix it(Trans was newly rebuilt & a New SS4000 yank)..About 700 miles later, KABOOM, trans blew all the rear planitaries..Trans shop rebuilt the trans AGAIN & I have not had a problem for over a year, thank god...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Teching In

the converter locks at the same time/rpm/speed it always has and when i hold a constant throttle after lock up and tap the break to unlock it, it does just that perfectly. the only problem i am having is when it locks it rolls into the lockup and then makes the car sluggish once locked, it just wont accelerate like it is used to. ill try driving it in 3rd and see what happens..
Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for getting back to us... Have the vehicle scanned. Meaning, you must rule out engine performance issues. It is possible that your adaptive memory tables are contaminated because of faulty O2 sensor or something else along those lines.

If the converter reacts like it should it is very likely that it is simply magnifying another issue.

What changes were made to the car most recently? Anything you can tell us might help.

g

Quick Reply: Yank converter lock up problem?? what next