Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans kit question, don't laugh too hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans kit question, don't laugh too hard

I know this isn't a 500hp+ LSx, but it does get driven hard more often than not.

My daily driver is a 98 S10 ZR2. 4.3l, 4l60e, 8.5" rear with 3.73 gears, and 32" BFG km2's.
Recently, I started noticing some odd shifting and torque converter not wanting to stay locked in. Knowing I have a front seal leak and getting ready to fix that in about a month, I've decided to refresh the trans while I'm at it. I also am interested in 'beefing' the trans a little. But would like to know what I can/should do to make it a little more stout and reliable.
I do tow about 3000lbs-4000lbs on occasion, I do 'hammer' on it from time to time, and I do use it off-Road from time to time.
If I know correctly, a shift kit will keep it from slipping as much and keep heat down. But will this make it harsh to drive everyday???? Am i right??
And another question is, will I need to have my ecm tuned to keep the trans working properly with the mods to the trans you recommended??

Thanx for the patience guys. Just looking for some personal preference from people who know how to.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You really should search this site as your questions get asked about every week for the past years. Here are some recent threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-question.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...build-kit.html

The first ones lists the basic parts to strengthen it. I suggest a rebuild kit from Trutech Trans. For about another $200 you can get 5-pinion planetaries to strengthen it more, but see my details in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...n-planets.html

There are lots of threads on shift kits. The Transgo HD2 is recommended; installing with the "Street" options will give you very fast but surprisingly mild shifts. Since you are on this site, I'm sure you would like it.

The beefed up parts do not require any tuning at all as there is no operational change. The shift kit also does not require any mods, although many people to change the programmed shift parameters and reduce the amount of torque management.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if I understand correctly, the 4l65e rebuild kit will work in my transmission without any other modification??
I work at a GM dealer, so I was wondering if a GM rebuild kit would be as good as the one you mentioned??
And to use the 5pinion, I would need to install the other bearing(s), and shaft??
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I tear my truck down.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL-ZUKI
So, if I understand correctly, the 4l65e rebuild kit will work in my transmission without any other modification??
I work at a GM dealer, so I was wondering if a GM rebuild kit would be as good as the one you mentioned??
And to use the 5pinion, I would need to install the other bearing(s), and shaft??
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I tear my truck down.
Yes, the 4l65e rebuild kit would work perfectly.
Call Jeff (the owner) at TruTech Trans and discuss your needs with him. His kits include a better-than-OEM 3/4 clutch setup and would be a kit for either 4l60e or 4l65e.
If the price you can get at your dealer is good, that should work too.
You should be able to get all the 5-pinion parts at your dealer with the exact part numbers I listed and similar prices with your employee discount. Yes, it is critical that you get the matching numbers. The GM parts system lists the WRONG bearing for a 2008/2009 Trailblazer SS with 4L70E transmission. (I bought the GM listed bearings for different years and all were wrong. Finally bought some bearings on Amazon and got the right one. I bought a lot of parts to figure this all out. I knew what I was looking for because I was rebuilding a 2010 4L60E which also had the newest parts.)

Quick Reply: Trans kit question, don't laugh too hard