Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a little advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need a little advise

I can't seem to decide on a converter. I currently have a vig 3200 and Im pulling the trans out to go back to the builder to be freshend up. I searched alot on converters and it really just made things worse for me as far as making a decision. I have a free restall on my vig and the plan was to send it back to bump it to a 4000,problem is that i have seen multiple threads on vigs being very loose at that stall speed.

Im torn with just going with a different converter or stay with what i have especially with the price of just paying for shipping only.

Shift extensions are very important to me as well as constancy. i do drive the car quite alot on the street but what matters most is performance at the track any thoughts/advice will be great

Cars just a bolt on car with 323 gear. Car weighs 3595 with me in it.the main goal of the car is making constant 11sec passes SI and end goal of being a mid 11 car cam only so far car has gone 12.60s in 2988 da's 1.7 60s. Can't get the car to 60 any better no matter what i set the qa1s to.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

No body on here have any advice???
Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

id call PI first and see what they have to say about the looseness and shift extensions of what ever speed you'd want your restall to be. since you are taking the converter out and would just pay for shipping, you might as well give them a shot and ask instead of going on the word of others.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

For sure i have talked to them a few times now. i like the converter i have from them now but was looking for a little first hand experiance from others who have made a switch to a different converter or has had a vig with a higher stall speed.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Stupid phone.....anyways when i called to talk with percision and told him i was after going to a 4k stall speed he thought i was crazy so it was a little off putting staying with this converter i have. this is the main reason for my intial post. i see people driving yank 4k alot on here and really didnt get a clear answer on why he didnt seem to like the idea of driving a 4k vig on the street. i assumed cause of the converters being too loose for street driving.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

He's thinking 4k is surely not suitable for the street. He probably doesn't realize what your overall goal is, concerning you getting to mid 11s.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

My advise is do enough research untill you are no longer confused. I have to autos and did very extensive research before re installing what I felt was the best tc for each cars application. All your mods will change what the proper TC will be. Call each company. Do not go off what people hear say. Lots of these guys here are not well educated. Especially not as well as the people selling the product. Go directly to who makes them, explain every thing going on with your car. Do that with each company you deal with and you'll probably get a gut feeling on what to put in their next. Remember, your stall speed is heavily affected by your rear gears, cam and hp at the wheels. Are you making enough power to fully launch at 4k? Good luck.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Well said. And i agree. car im sure wont actually lunch at 4000 rpm based on the car being a bolt on car at the moment. honestly havent called any other companys yet cause i wanted a truly unbiased opinion. guess ill make a few calls and see where it leads me and my decision. thanks for the posts guys.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Feel alot better after talking with troy from fti. Looks like ill be going with one of there converters and just selling my vig.