Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E: Build Advice (800HP)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4L60E: Build Advice (800HP)

Looking for info to use a a 60e behind a 800hp car.
Currently, the car is around 500hp (6psi 5.3). Thru a completely stock 60e, tc, and fp.
It has been been running hard for about a yr. Street,dd,and strip passes. Without a single issue.
Only upgrades to trans are deep cast pan with added oil capacity, large oil cooler and tuned to shift around 5500wot. trans has about 100k miles on it now. So this leads me to believe the 60e is not made of glass, like i always hear about.
Looking for advice to upgrade the trans to handle about 700-800hp and about 6000 shifts.
At the time, a 80e/th400 are not an option.
2¢?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A bone stock 60e that has lasted that long at that power level is by far the exception and not the rule. A 4L60E cannot be upgraded to reliably hold that kind of power, it has inherent flaws that prevent it from being able to maintain that power. The cost to upgrade a 60e by companies that claim it can hold that power reliably would cost a decent bit more than an 80e or 400 swap
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.700r4l60e.com/
Call dana and get his pro-street setup, its holding that now and I have held over 500whp with them as well, this is about your only option, he will tell you what you need to know!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, i was expecting to grenade. but a yr. Later still runs and shifts perfect:
I was not expecting it to last as much. But when it goes. would like to have a strong backup. Not really a racecar, but does/will see track time.
Just looking to turn up the heat some. 800hp is not necessary, but a goal.
Really just plan on hopefully break 9s.
Current rear end is a lsd 02 ss rear end. Runs have been on nitto dr.
But got a moser 12bolt ready to go.
REALLY looking to stay with a 60e. I know alot of sponsors or builders know more than me.
Changing over to a th400/80e, also requires alot of other mods not looking to get into right now.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grr
http://www.700r4l60e.com/
Call dana and get his pro-street setup, its holding that now and I have held over 500whp with them as well, this is about your only option, he will tell you what you need to know!
Thanks for link. Looks like some useful info.
its prolly gonna get torn down though
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Yea, i was expecting to grenade. but a yr. Later still runs and shifts perfect:
I was not expecting it to last as much. But when it goes. would like to have a strong backup. Not really a racecar, but does/will see track time.
Just looking to turn up the heat some. 800hp is not necessary, but a goal.
Really just plan on hopefully break 9s.
Current rear end is a lsd 02 ss rear end. Runs have been on nitto dr.
But got a moser 12bolt ready to go.
REALLY looking to stay with a 60e. I know alot of sponsors or builders know more than me.
Changing over to a th400/80e, also requires alot of other mods not looking to get into right now.

The funny thing about a 4L60E is that many builders get too far away from the stock VB functionality and CAUSE failures.

A "stock" calibrated VB with a Corvette servo and an upgraded sun shell, but otherwise stock internals and some minor pressure regulator mods will handle 450 HP all day long for a long time.

The lower rpm range of your combo has also been helping it live.

Up to 500-550 HP the 4L60E is hard to beat. No conversion issues or costs, parts are plentiful, so they are not terribly expensive to build, cores are plentiful.

Above that,
the 4L80E will start to pay for itself quickly. Much less frequent maintenance or failure, less frustration, and the conversion isn't as bad as you might think.

We will do a write-up after we move to the new shop and show the process, the costs, and some pros/cons of both choices.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Jake said, it's not a horrible swap by any means, and we will be doing an extensive write up with pictures and such once we move to the new shop soon.

The things required are a new yoke (easy), modify current driveshaft or buy a new one (Something you probably want to look into anyways at that power level), a trans cooler with lines, a new flex plate is recommended (very easy to install), a new converter (an expense you would probably have if you had a built 60e), a new crossmember and trans mount for the 80e (Have to remove the old one to remove the 60e anyways, so throwing the new one on isn't a big deal), and a way to control the new trans (variety of options, segment swap, Optishift, Speartech harness or the Relay Method. We typically use the relay method, typically the cheapest and a fairly easy method)

You need to hammer out the trans tunnel in one small section, but it's fairly easy to do, with an air hammer it only takes seconds. The 80e is roughly 35 pounds heavier than a 4L60E, with several variables effecting that number. It's really not nearly as bad as many people seem to think, and in many cases the trans will outlast the engine or the rear end.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

all good advice. Seriously considering other options now.
May have to settle for a lower power lvl, lower or same shift points.
Will contact jakes when time comes.
If i get some time this weekend, im gonna turn up the heat and see if it puts up a good fight

Quick Reply: 4L60E: Build Advice (800HP)