Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter unlocking issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converter unlocking issues

Hey everyone. I recently installed an SS4000 in my car and thought I had everything tuned appropriately but I have been encountering an issue in the past week or two.

At lockup speeds around 60+ I am getting random unlocks on the converter. It seems to be happening more during the daytime when it is warmer as opposed to late at night after it has cooled down a good bit. Each time that I notice the issue, my ECT is 190+.

I am wondering if this might be due to the smaller rotating mass of the aftermarket converter causing the crank to ripple report random misfires because of the changed in the rotations. I am not getting any DTC codes at all and have not touched the misfire tables in HPT yet. I just wanted to get some opinions as to possible causes before I went in and started changing tables on a whim.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it is a misfire issue. Can be tuned out for little to no trouble by a competent tuner.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What speed you got it locking up at? I like mine locking at 45. A friend of mine has his locking at 55 and it sucks.his unlocks bad.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yes it is a misfire issue. Can be tuned out for little to no trouble by a competent tuner.
I've set the Misfire Detection Min/Max ECT to 265/266 *F and adjusted the Revolution Mode tables way up but the unlocking is still occurring. Any other ideas?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ss4000 and when i installed it i had FROST tune my computer and he set it to lock up at 42mph. When you install a converter you need a tune. The reason is there is so much weight difference between the new and stock converter, your cam sensors are picking up spark knock and pulling timing.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ejbta2
I have a ss4000 and when i installed it i had FROST tune my computer and he set it to lock up at 42mph. When you install a converter you need a tune. The reason is there is so much weight difference between the new and stock converter, your cam sensors are picking up spark knock and pulling timing.
And if you see above, I am doing the tuning myself. Just trying to pin down this last issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I think I finally might have an idea as to what is causing the issue. Usually the converter won't lock back up right away if I take my foot off the gas, but recently I have found that if I tap the brakes, boom it locks right back up. So I contorted myself under the dash and played around with adjusting the brake light switch further away from the brake pedal then all the way flush with it and neither one really made a difference so it could be that the switch itself is faulty. I've put in an order for a new one and once it arrives I have my fingers crossed that it will finally put this problem to rest.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Simular situation, mine won't lock up consistantly and when it does its awsome. Once locked it won't unlock but once I let off going down a hill (coasting) when I get back on the throttle it won't lock for maybe a couple miles. Its really sucks when your going back up the hill and the rpms went from 2200 down the hill to 2800 slipping up the hill. Mine is only a 3000 stall ati lockup. I"m getting ready to travel in a couple weeks to the street machine nats. in Springfield Mo and its gonna be hilly and don't want to fight that issue for 200 miles there and 200 miles home.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
What speed you got it locking up at? I like mine locking at 45. A friend of mine has his locking at 55 and it sucks.his unlocks bad.
Had the same issue with my truck. It sucked but I left it alone. I just drove 45 or 60
Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by locrzn
Simular situation, mine won't lock up consistantly and when it does its awsome. Once locked it won't unlock but once I let off going down a hill (coasting) when I get back on the throttle it won't lock for maybe a couple miles. Its really sucks when your going back up the hill and the rpms went from 2200 down the hill to 2800 slipping up the hill. Mine is only a 3000 stall ati lockup. I"m getting ready to travel in a couple weeks to the street machine nats. in Springfield Mo and its gonna be hilly and don't want to fight that issue for 200 miles there and 200 miles home.
Mine doesn't have a problem locking, does it right when it's supposed to. But after driving for 20-30 miles it will start to randomly unlock. However if I just tap the brakes it will lock right back up again. The new switch unfortunately didn't correct the issue. Though it does seem to happen less now than it did before. So the search continues.

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
Had the same issue with my truck. It sucked but I left it alone. I just drove 45 or 60
I'm just having to deal with it for the time being. I can make it lock right back up by tapping the brake but that is irritating and I am sure the folks following me on the interstate for any amount of time think I am crazy.

I am halfway tempted to swap to a manual with all these problems.

Quick Reply: Converter unlocking issues