Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Auto shifter ASAP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! Auto shifter ASAP PLEASE

I'm swapping out my 98 Z28 automatic shifter assembly for a 93-97 Z28 auto shifter because mine broke. Couple questions

1. Will a 93-97 auto shifter fit on my 98
2. How do you disconnect what I'm assuming is the shifter cable that allows you to shift (gray connection directly under the A/C; heat controls. it connects through the front of the metal plate.

Reasoning why is I bought the car in California (mostly dry) and the previous owner had spilled a soda down underneath the console onto the actual shifter assembly. I moved down to Texas(****** humid) and I believe it made the soda moist and sticky again and something broke maybe? When I go to shift from park to reverse or any other gear, I have to manually pull down on the cross bar that connects to the metal bar on the driver side of the shifter for it to allow me to shift out of park. Same deal going into park. Putting the car in park requires me to push up on the cross bar stated above for the actual shift stick (yellow/clear inside metal shift stick). If I don't press up on that bar my ignition won't disengage completely meaning I can't get my key out. Its simple enough to push up and down on the bar but its tacky as hell and I would like to have my full console back in place.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your push button stuck for the shifter? Does the button feel spring loaded? Sounds weird. First I thought your park lock was jacked but maybe just need to replace the shifter body. Hell I got an extra shifter I can send ya out of an 01. Just pay shipping. That is of course if you actually NEED it..

LMK
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtieboySS427
Is your push button stuck for the shifter? Does the button feel spring loaded? Sounds weird. First I thought your park lock was jacked but maybe just need to replace the shifter body. Hell I got an extra shifter I can send ya out of an 01. Just pay shipping. That is of course if you actually NEED it..

LMK
well I have it all apart now. but when the issue first happened. the push button felt locked out and wouldn't let me push it down to be able to shift. I was working full time in Houston at the time it happened so I never had any downtime to take a look at it.... it finally let me shift down after using excessive force, resulting in a broke button, and broken button shaft. If i disconnect the solenoid lookin thing on the driver side of the assembly it disengages and engages without any struggle but it still has to be done manually.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DemonicZ
well I have it all apart now. but when the issue first happened. the push button felt locked out and wouldn't let me push it down to be able to shift. I was working full time in Houston at the time it happened so I never had any downtime to take a look at it.... it finally let me shift down after using excessive force, resulting in a broke button, and broken button shaft. If i disconnect the solenoid lookin thing on the driver side of the assembly it disengages and engages without any struggle but it still has to be done manually.
Hmmm The broken button I think is why it needs to be done manually. But your original problem must have been in your park lock. Something unlocks that selenoid from your brake pedal. I.e. push brake pedal in, switch sends signal to selenoid telling it to unlock shifter. Or something along those lines. I'm not too familiar with the fbody park-lock. Replace the shifter and pull that selenoid off and you should be ok, but park lock would be disabled, allowing easier theft or a kid to jump in and throw it in nuetral and roll down the street (worst scenario I can think of). So maybe start testing the park-lock functions and make sure there working properly. Maybe a loose wire, bad switch, or bad park-lock selenoid (part mounted by shifter). Sounds like you need a new shifter anyways so PM your adress and we'll get ya goin again.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planning on getting a full shifter and solenoid from the 93-97 camaro at the scrap yard for $25.00. I don't like the stupid park lock anyways, put me in the predicament to begin with. But how would I be able to get the shifter lock to release and allow the ignition to be unlocked?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you disconnect the gear select cable from the shifter assembly with gray connectors? I'll go take a pic of what I'm talking about.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you disconnect the gray section?
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! Auto shifter ASAP PLEASE-944564_311703088970068_1934319150_n.jpg   HELP!!! Auto shifter ASAP PLEASE-1238832_311703125636731_1465838701_n.jpg   HELP!!! Auto shifter ASAP PLEASE-1378724_311703145636729_326239390_n.jpg  
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumping until I get an answer

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Auto shifter ASAP PLEASE