Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

binding 4l60e in first gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default binding 4l60e in first gear.

I have a 4l60E that is what I would describe as binding in 1st gear, manual low or drive range.What I mean by binding is it takes excessive pedal to move forward and the rear tires will actually lock up/slide when letting off the pedal.As soon as it shifts to 2nd, it will immediately unbind, feels like a rubber band snapping..reverse, 2nd, 3rd, and OD is all good.Band clearance is within specifications.*Any ideas on this one? I dont know history on transmission other than it was rebuilt by a well known shop years ago and has been sitting. I finished the project car it was in and found this problem. So far I have switched valve body with known good valve body of the same year 94. Also removed transmission and checked everything sprag, clutches. Exc. Ive built over 20 4l60e's never had a problem like this. And yes the trans is getting power and ground signals. Thanks in advanced for the help.__________________
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Also transmission tries to start in 3rd gear.but everything works tcc lockup and all. also all solenoid have been replaced as well
Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a sticking low/reverse band...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans tries to start in 3rd gear ???
Can you add a few more details to this ....
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only two things I know happen are the wrong valve body gaskets or a blown pcm fuse under the hood. Check all the small fuses under the hood.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 401 Likes on 306 Posts

We had a similar thread just a few weeks ago (sorry I cannot find it.)
I and others suggested a problem with the low/reverse clutch, but Frank (PerformaBuilt) thought a problem with the servo was more likely.
If the band is dragging, it will be binding in 1st gear, but be perfect in 2nd gear.
Have you measured the end play for the band? This can be done by depressing the servo cover with a crowbar and measuring/estimating how much it moves. Around .075 (bit more than 1/16") is the spec. Somewhere around half that the band will start dragging.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If the trans has the Trango shift kit in it and is in limp mode it will drag / bind in the manual low position as the 2nd band will remain applied even in the manual low position with the low reverse clutch applied effectively making a transbrake.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If the trans has the Trango shift kit in it and is in limp mode it will drag / bind in the manual low position as the 2nd band will remain applied even in the manual low position with the low reverse clutch applied effectively making a transbrake.
Interesting! That must be only with the Gear-Command valve installed (which I never do) because otherwise the hydraulic circuits are not changed.

Frank: any chance you can find the link to the thread I mentioned that also had a dragging 1st gear?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 PM

I would look to see where mainline pressure could be getting into the 2nd clutch circuit to eliminate your issue. Seems to me that this is where your issue is due to the fact that the problem goes away once the trans shifts to second gear. Just a thought. Vince
Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Teching In

My 4l60e is doing the same thing.

6.0 4l60e in a Jeep.

Seemed to work fine until I made some adjustments to the trans shifter linkage and then in first and it would bind as described above. Unhooked the shifter linkage and manually put in in first. same binding problem

2nd and third worked but wouldn't do anything in the drive position

Just bought this Jeep and the previous owner told me the trans was rebuilt and a shift kit and z pak clutches

When I test drove it I manually shifted it as I do in my Jeep
and never tried it in drive to see if it shifted on its own. But noticed I was only getting 2 gears.

It has a 4 speed transfer case so plenty of gearing options with only two gears and did not go over 45 mph as it has 43" tires and full hydro steering.

Any ideas what to check?

Was told by my trans guy the shifter combs could have been bent from torquing the shifter pawl on the side of the trans. He is busy for a few weeks until he can look at it.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 PM

The trans has its own shifter shaft detents. If your shifter has detents and doesn't align exactly with the trans, the hydraulics will be half in one position and half in another resulting in call kinds of strange problems.
Your mention that problems occurred after adjusting the linkage make me say this.

Remove the shift cable from the trans, move the trans shift rod to each position, move your shifter to the same corresponding position and confirm that they agree.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The trans has its own shifter shaft detents. If your shifter has detents and doesn't align exactly with the trans, the hydraulics will be half in one position and half in another resulting in call kinds of strange problems.
Your mention that problems occurred after adjusting the linkage make me say this.

Remove the shift cable from the trans, move the trans shift rod to each position, move your shifter to the same corresponding position and confirm that they agree.
So drop the pan and inspect the shifter detents and confirm what? I will keep the shifter unhooked until I can get the trans to work properly. The prndl switch on the trans is adjustable. Is that only for the indicator to line up on the dash and be adjustable?

Here is a pic of what I am working on.
Attached Thumbnails binding 4l60e in first gear.-20150527_104236.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:13 AM

No need to drop the pan.
Remove the shifter cable and as you turn the shifter bracket on the trans you will feel the detents. They are quite stiff.
You did not specify what kind of shifter you have in the Jeep. Does it have detents?

What you called the "prndl switch", presumably on the side of the trans with the shift linkage going through it performs these functions:
1. Acts the Park/Neutral safety switch with the signal to the starter going through it.
2. Enables the back-up lights in Reverse
3. Tell the PCM whether you are in Park/Neutral or Drive; the PCM typically supplies more gas in Drive to keep the RPM constant.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
No need to drop the pan.
Remove the shifter cable and as you turn the shifter bracket on the trans you will feel th. detents. They are quite stiff.
You did not specify what kind of shifter you have in the Jeep. Does it have detents?

What you called the "prndl switch", presumably on the side of the trans with the shift linkage going through it performs these functions:
1. Acts the Park/Neutral safety switch with the signal to the starter going through it.
2. Enables the back-up lights in Reverse
3. Tell the PCM whether you are in Park/Neutral or Drive; the PCM typically supplies more gas in Drive to keep the RPM constant.
It has a Lokar shifter which will be getting swapped out soon for a Winters shifter because the throw is not quite right and i dont like it , not sure if it has detects but dont think so, just l ockouts for different gears. I have tried it with the shifter disconnected and it still does it so rule the shifter out.

I dont know if it ever shifted on its own
But I did have it manually shifting in all gears after adjusting the shifter linkage
the previous owner adjusted it again because he didn't like how it went into park.
I readjusted it and then this first gear bind issue and only second and third gear.
I have not tried putting it in drive manually without the shifter yet to see if it will shift on its own
I was told it does not have a full manual valve body but the short time I shifted through all gears it never shifted automatically
Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

had something similar back when I was into Mopars. Was just shifter linkage needed adjusting. simple fix.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated on this. I just finished my build and it's doing the same thing when I manually command first.. I thought the trans had entered limp mode but the car has OD and the converter is locking up. Considering I'm not using the factory shifter, it might be the problem.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Keep us updated on this. I just finished my build and it's doing the same thing when I manually command first.. I thought the trans had entered limp mode but the car has OD and the converter is locking up. Considering I'm not using the factory shifter, it might be the problem.

Looks like I just found the issue. Bad 2-3 shift solenoid

Start with a scanner and see if you have codes

And then go here.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-X-P
Looks like I just found the issue. Bad 2-3 shift solenoid

Start with a scanner and see if you have codes

And then go here.
http://www.trutechtrans.com/Topic-1-00-01.html
Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by G-X-P
Looks like I just found the issue. Bad 2-3 shift solenoid...
Interesting, I was not aware that a bad 2-3 shift (B) solenoid could cause a bind. Always eager to learn more.

Do you know what was bad about the solenoid? Did you test it with an ohm meter? Is it open or shorted? Is the plunger stuck? Are the filter clogged?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit;18. 2691
Interesting, I was not a. re that a bad 2-3 shift (B) solenoid could cause a bind. Always eager to learn more.

Do you know what was bad about the solenoid? Did you test it with an ohm meter? Is it open or shorted? Is the plunger stuck? Are the filter clogged?
Ohm'd out too low . might have been in limp mode

Just picked up the parts and forgot to get a filter so back to the store I go.

Quick Reply: binding 4l60e in first gear.