Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e no 1st gear in drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 4l60e no 1st gear in drive

Having tranny issues. The car 99 Trans Am H/C LS1 Stalled auto. The engine and trans have worked perfectly throughout my rear end problems until this last one (sheared wheel studs on the line and dropped car on floorboards). Now the car has all 4 gears when manually selected. If D3 or OD are selected the is no gear engagement from a stop. Select first and its there, select 2nd from a stop it starts in 1st and shifts to 2nd as normal then bump it to D3 or OD and it shifts through the gears normally. If you come to a stop in D3 or OD you can feel thr tranny disengage and free wheel. I am about to hook up HPT's for the first time, any help in where to start looking is greatly appreciated. Thanks Shawn
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had exact same problem, you forward sprag is toast, you need a rebuild or new trans...
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

These are the exact symptoms of a fried forward sprag. We have this thread every few months:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-problems.html

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies and the link, I tried to search here and tried a google search a couple times and couldn't find what I was looking for. Looks like Ill be building a trans in the near future. I figure I can kill a trans that i build just as fast as one that someone else builds, at least if I'm doing it I can learn something instead of just throwing money at it.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the same thing as you bc I do all my own work, but by the time you buy any special tools and parts needed, it will be very frustrating if it goes bad again, there was a well documented thread about a guy who did this using all kinds of help from pro trans builders and his still was fucked up. Not saying you can't do it's just worth considering. I ended up buying an FLT trans and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: 4l60e no 1st gear in drive