Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E rebuild put in 3k ago, now stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E rebuild put in 3k ago, now stalling

is this trans toast? only goes thru 1st gear smoothly. then rpms got to 3-4k, feels strong then will finally go into 2nd but seems like it doesn't go into 3 or 4 rpms stay at about 3500 and i can only go about 55 without feeling like it's gonna blow up..
idk.
could it be a sensor or computer? there's no service lights on or anything, does rule those possibilities out?
even before the rebuild it had a hard shift into first, and that same problem persisted after i replaced tranny w a rebuilt one.. so i kinda thought i had a bad MAF i tried cleaning it a few times, sometimes there wouldn't be a hard shift thereafter but most of the time it would.
what can i do before i have to have this towed to a shop. i live on the highway cant drive it to one)

Last edited by camarowitness; 11-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

This sounds a bit like an experience I had once or twice on the drag strip where the car shifted into 2nd but would then not go over 3500 rpm. Let off the gas, gave a bit more gas, went to 3500 rpm and not more. I coasted to the end, parked it to cool off and on restart all was fine. I was logging with HP Tuners but saw no reason for the problem. There certainly was no problem with the trans - the PCM must have "suspected" some problem and gone into an engine limp mode, which I didn't know even existed.

In short, I think you have a sensor/PCM/Tune problem and nothing is wrong with your trans. The hard shifts can also be due to the tune or a sensor problem. I would suggest first hooking up a scanner to look for codes that don't cause an SES light.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Teching In

thanks for the advice mrvedit. you always come through. now i dont have a professional scanner or anything but i do have an obd2 bluetooth scanner. a friend is borrowing it right now but I will get it and see if anything comes up.

but if it is a sensor/pcm/tune problem, id probably have to have it taken care of by a mechanic?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Teching In

obd2 won't connect to ECU all of a sudden. it used to. my android did just have an update idk if thats the issue or what.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Teching In

when i hook up the bluetooth obd2 scanner no fault codes come back. attached is what shows up on the test results..
with no codes showing up what could it be?
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E rebuild put in 3k ago, now stalling-screenshot.jpg   4L60E rebuild put in 3k ago, now stalling-screenshot_2014-05-26-08-07-34.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Teching In

i dont know much about the scanner, on the torque app there is also a PID scanner. what should i do with these results?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
This sounds a bit like an experience I had once or twice on the drag strip where the car shifted into 2nd but would then not go over 3500 rpm. Let off the gas, gave a bit more gas, went to 3500 rpm and not more. I coasted to the end, parked it to cool off and on restart all was fine. I was logging with HP Tuners but saw no reason for the problem. There certainly was no problem with the trans - the PCM must have "suspected" some problem and gone into an engine limp mode, which I didn't know even existed.

In short, I think you have a sensor/PCM/Tune problem and nothing is wrong with your trans. The hard shifts can also be due to the tune or a sensor problem. I would suggest first hooking up a scanner to look for codes that don't cause an SES light.

do you think it could still be a sensor/pcm/tune problem even though nothing showed up on the scanner. or do you think i should have a higher end scanner?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

As I implied in my first post, I never figured out what my (rare) issue on the track was.
I didn't log trans temp that day; I do now but it has not happened since.

Sorry, I have no idea what your posted scanner pictures are saying.
It acts like the PCM has an engine "safe/limp mode", but I cannot find any doco on it.

Quick Reply: 4L60E rebuild put in 3k ago, now stalling