Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run Maual VB 400 and NO shift lite?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone run Maual VB 400 and NO shift lite?

I am having a man reverse valve body installed and I was wondering how important a shift lite is. I have never run one, nor have I ever manually shifted while racing. I am a little concerned about me and ALOT concerned about my wife. She has always dragged the 4l60 and I imagine a TH400 with a brake will be a little different. I was contiplating running the car without one, and then if need be add one later. Is this stupid? I dont want to blow my new motor by over revving.
If I need one does anyone have one that I can install inside one of the vents? I DO NOT WANT A MONSTER TACH. Dont want that ricer look. Any ideas would be cool. Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Launching!

I don't use a shift light. If you over rev it you'll hit the limitter. If your worried about that you could try dropping the limitter until you get used to it...
Old 05-24-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

I used to run a manual TH400 in my LS1. While I didn't run a shift light I could see where someone may be more comfortable with that setup. I would try and find someone that is willing to sell their Harland shift light. It will sit behind the vent.

Tim
Old 05-25-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shift light

Originally Posted by Bear
I am having a man reverse valve body installed and I was wondering how important a shift lite is. I have never run one, nor have I ever manually shifted while racing. I am a little concerned about me and ALOT concerned about my wife. She has always dragged the 4l60 and I imagine a TH400 with a brake will be a little different. I was contiplating running the car without one, and then if need be add one later. Is this stupid? I dont want to blow my new motor by over revving.
If I need one does anyone have one that I can install inside one of the vents? I DO NOT WANT A MONSTER TACH. Dont want that ricer look. Any ideas would be cool. Thanks
there are systems for th 400 that shift the trans 1-2 electronically at a preset rpm and you manually shift into 3rd. without turning the system on the trans works normal
Old 05-25-2004, 11:47 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don't need a light necessarily. I use one, but I could certainly get by without one as well.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey JK do u have a link or any info on that? I would love to do that. I guess it wouldnt interfere with the brake, would it? I wouldnt need a lite then for just the one shift. Thanks for theheads up.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

I use the Harlan shift light. You can definitely see it when it comes on, easy to install too. If you make any power at all the factory tach will not read right.
By the way, does your turbo 400 have lockup capabilities, if so what convertor brand are you using?
Old 05-25-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by c5ls1vette
I use the Harlan shift light. You can definitely see it when it comes on, easy to install too. If you make any power at all the factory tach will not read right.
By the way, does your turbo 400 have lockup capabilities, if so what convertor brand are you using?
I guess thats tue as well. I make 500 to the wheels so the factory tach would be wrong anyway. I like the idea of the Raptor/Harlan.
My 400 has no LU. It is a Hughes and they dont offer it. I enquired about the one from Speed Inc, but they told me they have NEVER ACTUALLY sold one yet and are not sure what the results would be. I dont want to be the Pioneer.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

The reason I asked is because my 400 has lockup capabilities (built by FLP). My problem is that I cannot get a lockup convertor to hold up. After 8 passes the clutches in the convertor (Vigilante Multi-disk) were toast, now being told by Terry that he cannot build one to hold up. I am now trying a Precision Indusries non-lockup .

Good luck with your shift light, they are easy to install.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a T-400 and it has no lock up either. Glad I didn't get that option now.
BTW I have no shift light bt will be buying one soon.
Defentially will help be more consistant and shift exactly where you power band would like you to shift at.
Really there is no reason not to have one. You will never use it just driving around town (even though with that setup you probally dont drive around that much anyways) I would defentially say it is worth the money and time to install it.
What exactly is the negative you are seeing?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

JZ no negative really, I just wanted to make sure I could get a lighta nd not a MOnster Tach. I know harlan has a lead time, so I was hoping for another option. I found the Raptor and I ordered one today. It will be here in a week or so.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c5ls1vette
The reason I asked is because my 400 has lockup capabilities (built by FLP). My problem is that I cannot get a lockup convertor to hold up. After 8 passes the clutches in the convertor (Vigilante Multi-disk) were toast, now being told by Terry that he cannot build one to hold up. I am now trying a Precision Indusries non-lockup .

Good luck with your shift light, they are easy to install.
My self and several other folks locally, have either th400 or th350 from rosslers with lock up. We are running midwest convertors no problems. And Mike Brown twin turbo ce is running high 9's at 137 with no convertor problems.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always run an air shifter and not worry about any shifts.

Jeffrey
Old 05-27-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default E-shift

Originally Posted by Bear
Hey JK do u have a link or any info on that? I would love to do that. I guess it wouldnt interfere with the brake, would it? I wouldnt need a lite then for just the one shift. Thanks for theheads up.
l make it