Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 4l80 rebuild questions about clutches

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 4l80 rebuild questions about clutches

In the direct drum I have no wavy, s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f, the top plate and then the snap ring. The frictions are pretty sloppy so should I add the wavy to it or leave it?

The forward drum I have no wavy, s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s top plate and then the snap ring. I Can stick the intermediate shaft in the hub and turn it and it's nice and tight not really sloppy or impossible to spin.

I did have it with the extra steel from the forward in the direct and the wavy in the forward hub and it was almost impossible to get the snap ring in the direct and once it was in the frictions were not free at all. That's why I took it out and replaced it with the wavy in the forward.

Does all this sound right or should I add the wavy back to the direct?

Thanks
Jody
Old 01-05-2015, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Aim for .050-.070" clearance in the direct. And .030-.060" in the forward.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SumtinCoo
In the direct drum I have no wavy, s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f, the top plate and then the snap ring. The frictions are pretty sloppy so should I add the wavy to it or leave it?

The forward drum I have no wavy, s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s,f,s top plate and then the snap ring. I Can stick the intermediate shaft in the hub and turn it and it's nice and tight not really sloppy or impossible to spin.

I did have it with the extra steel from the forward in the direct and the wavy in the forward hub and it was almost impossible to get the snap ring in the direct and once it was in the frictions were not free at all. That's why I took it out and replaced it with the wavy in the forward.

Does all this sound right or should I add the wavy back to the direct?

Thanks
Jody
Sounds like your trying to add an extra clutch and steel without using the thinner steel plates that give the necessary clearance. Id give the guys at North Texas Converter a call if you cant figure it out. They were a huge help when I rebuilt my 4l80e using their rebuild kit and converter.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Sounds like your trying to add an extra clutch and steel without using the thinner steel plates that give the necessary clearance.

He said his directs seem sloppy, so that's not likely the case.

He sourced his kit through us, we'll be happy to answer his questions (not online) and make sure he gets it right.

Last edited by Jake's Performance; 01-05-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Not sure why anybody is "owned" here.

I'm just clarifying a few things that were stated.

I'll expand a bit.
As a vendor, if a person buys parts elsewhere, I would consider it rude if they called me for tech questions. Depending on our workload, etc I may still answer those questions but I might also be inclined to tell the person to call their supplier.
I don't expect my customer to have to call another shop for answers. We also send out a "tips and tricks" build sheet with each 4L80E kit. This will cover many of the questions involved with a performance build. I am always adding to this based on questions I get.
I am certain that many customers can get a lower cost kit on Ebay, or other vendors but not likely as complete of a kit, or one with our tips and tricks.
Part of what the customer is buying with our kit is the tips and tricks. It is literally worth $200 in knowledge. It will save most builders that much in time in just fluid, not to mention labor and parts when they are doing it over again, and again.

I don't answer as many tech questions online anymore. This is due to several reasons. One is simply time constraints. Another is the fact I've had enough of my intellectual property stolen that I am not going to make it easy for the hard lessons we've learned to be learned by others.

So we prefer to answer questions for our customers, by phone or email. I have a knowledgeable staff on the phone (make 'em earn their pay! ) and I answer many of the tech emails personally.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

No prob, I didn't realize he bought the kit from you or I wouldn't have suggested the NTV call.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this fixed with help from Jake only took him about 30 secs to tell me what to do over the phone. I've called them about 10 times asking questions and Jake and Justin that works for him have been nothing but helpful each time. I'm sure I'll call them a couple more times before I'm finished lol. Super good customer service.

Quick Reply: More 4l80 rebuild questions about clutches