Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need tc recommendation

Ok car is 83 cutlass has ly6 /4l80 with 3.73
Car has vvt 224/238. .578/.593 115 lsa
Has dayco 2500 stall converter in it now
Won't spin tires from a stop kind of a slug taking off but once she goes extremely fast. Got tc from guy who rebuilt trans had dayco restall a stock unit. I kind of fig it would suck but was only 100 extra so I gave it a shot. Not sure if it's tc or trans but I fig I will try another tc and buy a line pressure gauge to start. Not real happy with the way it shifts either using tci ez tcu trans also has transgo 2. Circle d recommended at least a 3000 stall. Car is a street toy I don't understand how I can get 6-8 ft of rubber banging 2nd but not a chirp from start

Last edited by jimmyg; 03-29-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The three that that I've seen people here recommend most often are Yank, Circle D, and Vigilante.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Firmly hold the brakes and give a moderate amount of gas.
What RPM does the engine reach?
That is approximately your stall speed.

I suspect you will find that your stall speed is more around 2000 which would partially explain the weak start. What is your rear end ratio?

The CircleD 278mm converter with a 3200 stall speed should be a good fit for you. Generally the larger the converter (in this case 11") the tighter it is for street use, but the lower the stall speed it can reach. In this case their 278mm goes up to 3200 stall.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've only had car out 2-3 times since I got it running. Did what you described and tires broke loose at about 2500. Car has 3.73 strange s60 with s trac. I've been having issues with tci controller and just rec replacement. With first tcu it seemed to break loose better but would not shift into 3 rd . This one shifts better but it's a dog off the line. So my plans are to change converter and get a line pressure gauge and go from there. I'm just worried about getting too much converter.it needs decent street manners
Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 PM

Well, I stand corrected then, it appears your stall is around 2500.
Your lq6 with that cam should be making plenty of power at 2500.
In my LS2 swap I ran a more aggressive cam with a 2600 stall for a while, and even with drag radials I had to feather the throttle at every start to prevent breaking loose.
With your transmission controller problems I wonder if you are starting in 2nd gear.
Why are you running the TCI controller instead of the stock PCM?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Because it's a a 2010 ly6 with vvt. I bought a package from mast motorsports cam, springs, ecm, harness. Supposed to be around 530 hp but their ecm would only run a 6l80 and a 6l80 won't fit in my g body. So I found a 4l80 and had it rebuilt with trans go2. I'm not sure if I have trans problems, tc problems or both. My friend that built trans owns a tranny shop but it's a 1 man show that does a lot of work for car dealers and such I'm not sure how good trans is. I have my doubts
Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would I be able to fig out any issues with a line pressure gauge?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM

A line pressure gauge is to transmissions like a volt meter is to electrical systems - you have no idea what is really going on without one. By an ATD-5550 on Amazon for $35.
It has a long enough hose that you can hang the gauge from your mirror and drive around while reading the pressure. You want to be sure the pressure gets close to 200 psi under high throttle; else the trans will slip and burn out.

However, I still suspect you are staring in 2nd gear due to a controller, wiring or transmission problem. Does the TCI controller let you force different gears so that you can experiment and feel the difference starting in different gears?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
A line pressure gauge is to transmissions like a volt meter is to electrical systems - you have no idea what is really going on without one. By an ATD-5550 on Amazon for $35.
It has a long enough hose that you can hang the gauge from your mirror and drive around while reading the pressure. You want to be sure the pressure gets close to 200 psi under high throttle; else the trans will slip and burn out.

However, I still suspect you are staring in 2nd gear due to a controller, wiring or transmission problem. Does the TCI controller let you force different gears so that you can experiment and feel the difference starting in different gears?
I can manually shift into first and start and have shifted thru all gears , had tc lock up etc. first controller didn't like shifting into 3 rd but at least I could get tires to spin while doing a brake stand . Controller no 2 shifts better but total slug starting off can't even do a brake stand but still bangs 2nd ok this leads me to believe line pressure is poor and/ or converter is bad . I'm down in fl for 10 days but I will check pressure as soon as I get back. Also Econ/ performance mode does not work on both controllers maybe harness?

Quick Reply: Need tc recommendation