Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter is staying locked?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter is staying locked?

I have a 99 Camaro and when I came to a stop last week it stalled. I couldn't get it to go when I put in into gear after starting it. I thought I broke something in the trans, I ended up breaking bolts on the converter after I dropped it into gear while giving it a "little" gas. I torn it all down and rebuilt the whole trans but didn't find anything majorly broke other than the cage that holds the springs for the piston in the reverse input drum (ripped where the snap ring sits), a ripped seal on the piston in the input drum, and the bushing in the front pump messed up (from breaking the converter bolts). So I got it all back in and drove it down the road today. On decel around 30 or so it started bucking and it stalled the engine when I stopped. I started it and put it into gear and sure enough it jumped and stalled again. I imagine the converter is staying locked and that's whats causing this. Is this a mechanical issue in the converter and I need to get a new one or is it some sort of electrical issue? How can I determine this too? Also, this was kinda an instant problem, happened out of nowhere with no signs of anything going out before. Any help is appreciated
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

You can start with replacing the torque converter clutch solenoid. This is most likely the cause.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Teching In

That would be one of my thoughts too but I actually have a new one in there that isn't too old. I think I have bigger problems though. I drove it down the road and data logged to see what it was doing, it would apply the tcc under mid accel but the computer showed it never commanded to apply it. It had a little rattle with the converter in it though so I was figuring the converter had mechanical problems. Pulled the trans and pulled the yank ss4000 that was in it and put in my old circle d 3200. Drove it down the road and sure enough it started to lock up the converter and do weird stuff shifting, then a check engine light came on and had all kinds of codes for the trans so I have an electrical issue somewhere. The transmission is plugged back in too, I made sure
Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Teching In

the codes I pulled where
p0785 3-2 shift solenoid circuit electrical
p0740 tcc enable solenoid circuit electrical
p0748 pressure control solenoid circuit electrical
p1810 tfp valve position switch circuit
p1860 tcc pwm solenoid circuit electrical

Any ideas on what would cause all of these?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

The proper way to diagnose this is to get the flow chart for each code and start with the lowest number code. The same problem can set off numerous codes.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

So many codes starting right after a converter swap makes me suspect an electrical problem, such as the connector not snapped in all the way, broken wires, cable touching the exhaust or something else "obvious". For example, I don't think P0748 would be related to the other codes.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Well, here is what has happen so far. After I put the second converter in and drove it and it still had issues I started checking everything I could electrical. I checked every connection, wire, ground, fuses, everything... I didn't find anything bad or out of the norm so I drove it down the road and sure enough it was still jerking and feeling like it was locked into gear still. I was a little irritated with this issue by now so I ended kinda hammering on it down the street waking all the neighbors. Next thing I know is the car isn't locking up like it was and was driving half way decent. I had cleared all the codes before driving it and even when it was messing up the codes never came back. So im still scratching my head with this one. The only thing I can thing of is the circle d converter needed a little kick to get to work right or theres some wire that fixed itself that I didn't see, or (hopefully not) the computer is acting a little screwy. Im not sure but its been working great since, already have 300+ miles on it with no issues. Thanks for the help and info though
Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Just chalk it up to the mysteries of life. Or at least the mysteries of computers and electricity.

Quick Reply: Converter is staying locked?