Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E 550HP Parts list

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E 550HP Parts list

After 2 years of late nights and many many cases of beer I finally got my truck back together and back on the road only to put about 300 miles on it before the stock 60 decided to let go. I have read that the life of a 60 is dependent on keeping it cool so I opted for the 25 row Derale hyper cool remote mount trans cooler with the electric fan. The fluid still looks new so I guess the cooler did what it was suppose to do so not sure what decided to give up in the trans. So I decided to have this one rebuilt and I wanted to get your opinions on the parts list given to me from the trans builder. He said should be good for around 550HP. Let me know what you think.

Alto high energy clutches with hardened teeth
asbestos extra wide high energy band
new hardened band drum
transgo HD2 shift kit
transgo thick valve body plate
Sonnax smart shell
Aluminum accumulates
new Servo pistons
aybestos steels
high volume pump
Teflon high energy pump bushing
full bushing kit
billet input shaft
double caged low reverse sprag

Opinions???
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would skip the alto frictions and use borgwarner high energy..also instead of billet input shaft i would get the output instead..likely to have a problem on output shaft First..transgo hd2 shiftkit is ok but i would exchange the boost valve for the sonnax the transgo leak alot of pressure
Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks GMCSIERRA. I know a lot depends on the builder but with the few changes to the parts list you mentioned you think it would be able to safely handle 550?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very possible aslong as theres no pressue leaks and you drive it right you will be fine
Old 11-07-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LS64
Thanks GMCSIERRA. I know a lot depends on the builder but with the few changes to the parts list you mentioned you think it would be able to safely handle 550?
That is possible in a "Relatively" light car like a 4th gen F-body, But in a Fullsize Truck.......The odds are stacked against you.

4L80E's are too easy to swap into a truck for you to consider sinking money into a 4L60E, What year/make/model is your truck?
Old 11-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Not so easy in my case. Truck is a 64 C10 with the low hump trans tunnel. Never weighed it but It can't be much more than an f-body. Good guess would be around 3800. The 80e can be done with a lot of work but then I would have to throw away the brand new carpet I just put in it. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to use the $300 shifter I just put in it or the $800 converter. I decided to try the 60e since it was pretty much given to me for my swap and I knew the truck wasn't going to hook without a set of slicks and some work so I figured I'd be ok. Now I got this much invested in the 60e route I figured id give it another shot. I've been looking at the level 2 Performabuilt and the price almost seems to good to be true. The parts list I put up is going to cost me around $1500 and was told it would be good for 550hp. Performabuilt level 2 is a little over 2k and is good for 700hp. $600 is well worth the added insurance IMO and leaves room for future improvements.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Who told you a 4L80E will not fit? If you have good body mounts...An 80E will fit with minimal massaging at most, Most shifters for GM transmissions can be modified easily. Sorry about the $800 converter.

700hp 4L60E's....That's a tough one for me to accept. If they have a good warranty.....Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

I'd also opt for:
sonnax boost valve
13 vane pump
29 element sprag
Sonnax 2-4 band servo over the "corvette" servo
Borg High Energy clutches
5 pinion planetaries,

Also, press out and re press in, with loads of loctite 638, the input drum
Lots of leaks there that cause weak shifts and short life

With a good cooler, I don't see any problems with this holding up to 550 HP even in a heavier truck
Old 11-13-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Also get a trans temp gauge so you do not have to guess if the cooler is up to the task.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The HP Tuners scanner reads the trans temp thru the OBD-2 port and I suspect various aftermarket gauges and especially multi-gauges will too.
Try Googling "chevy odb2 transmission temperature"

From that I found this:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=81310

While it didn't at first, seems that later versions of the Torque App do read trans temp.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mrvedit, so if I buy this
Amazon.com: Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive Amazon.com: Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive

I can get a reading on my trans temp, as measured by the manifold pressure switch?

I found a video on the Torque App
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...scJGIKdof24-IA

And it seems to use the plug-in I posted in the top link.

Because I would totally pay $10 to know my trans temp.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
mrvedit, so if I buy this Amazon.com: Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive

I can get a reading on my trans temp, as measured by the manifold pressure switch? ...
Because I would totally pay $10 to know my trans temp.
I can't check it right now, but should be able to in a few days. I have both the Bluetooth and Wireless OBD-2 adapter as I use them with my BMW. I always have my HP Tuners laptop in the my Camaro.

Quick Reply: 4L60E 550HP Parts list