Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e transmission builder/options

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Default 4l80e transmission builder/options

Hey guys, I did some research on who builds a decent 4l80e trans. A lot of the threads are couple years old. But I did notice quite a few were using Jakes performance. So I tried calling them up to spec out a trans and most likely place an expensive order today. I was surprise to say that I did not like how that went.

Who else out there is building these trans? They are all gunna be expensive, so I'm not looking for cheap. I jus want a reliable builder. Maybe possibly a more mom n pop style shop or smaller business where 1 on 1 consultation is possible? I'm not bashing jakes, I jus didn't get the vibe they gave a damn. I understand people are busy, I too own a business and am busy. But I wanted to speak with someone about which stage is right for me including what options etc. I was kinda steered away from that and was better off calling to order a 4l80e as if I already knew everything about them. I don't!

I going to be running a 1965 chevy nova with built LS2/243 heads/s484 turbo. I'm located in nj and would love to hear of a place locally.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: A sponsor of this forum would be a good start.

Alternatives:
CK Performance in NY.
Hughes

Look on Yellow Bullet.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
I'm not bashing jakes, I jus didn't get the vibe they gave a damn. I understand people are busy, I too own a business and am busy. But I wanted to speak with someone about which stage is right for me including what options etc. I was kinda steered away from that and was better off calling to order a 4l80e as if I already knew everything about them. I don't!
Jess, here. I’m the woman you spoke with on the phone when you called into Jake’s Performance looking for advice on which trans to build, etc. I started out talking with you about what your specs were and things of that nature so that I could try to point you in the right direction. I quickly realized that your setup and the information that you require is beyond my knowledge level and so I decided that having you talk with Jake was the best idea. You said that you agreed, talking with Jake would be best.

I explained that you had 2 options: you could either email Jake (which you interrupted me as soon as I said the work “email” and didn’t even let me finish saying that you didn’t have time for email, you ran a business and email was too big of a hassle for you) or I could take your information and give it to Jake and he would call you back. You asked me how soon you could expect a call back, I stated that Jake was very busy given the season that we’re in right now but that I would make sure he got your information and that he called you as soon as he had the chance.
Apparently, me telling you he would call you ASAP and that I would make sure you were a priority call that he needed to make wasn’t good enough because you started rattling on about how “this is a six-thousand-dollar sale he could be missing out on if he doesn’t call me back in time” and “Jake’s might not even be who I decide to go with anyway.” Telling someone that isn’t going to get you called back any quicker

When you called, Jake was actually in Dallas, personally picking up parts (cores, etc) for our transmission builds so that we can get our customers taken care of. We are on a 12-week backlog of transmission orders alone right now so Jake has taken it into his own hands to do some of the menials tasks like picking up parts, machining, etc so that our customers can get their product as quickly as possible.

I apologize that you felt that “we didn’t give a damn” but the truth of the matter is that we’re slammed and because of that, it’s hard for us to drop what we’re doing to race to the phone to hold your hand. It seems to me that you’re used to throwing a little hissy fit and getting your way immediately, but we just don’t have time for that. I also find it humorous that you told me you don’t have the time to mess with email but yet here you are running your mouth on a forum about us instead.

We don’t feel that you would be a good fit as a customer at Jake’s Performance and we would appreciate it if you continued your search elsewhere. We wish you the best of luck with your project!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

....same ****...different day. Same thing Jake told me when my emails went unanswered for awhile....and all I did was post that I could not get a reply from Jakes and could someone recommend another builder for me. Then Jake posted after like 10 days, basically called me a liar saying I never emailed him. I then posted up all my proof of my multiple emails that were sent to his email address.......then they said the same BULLSHIT...

"They would rather not take me as a customer." I guess because I didn't get a reply for like 10 days of trying, and then showed proof after being called a liar.....so I'm the bad guy.....hahahahaha

Well he lost a customer and it seems these high and mighty people really don't care about losing customers like you and me......Jakes will NOT be around long term....thats for sure.
Imagine the service and questions Jakes will give you AFTER you have paid and you are no longer of any use to them......you will be shut out completely.....

Check your PM. I'll tell you how to get the same EXACT transmission, for a little less money. And a 2 year warranty.

My brand new Stage 4 is sitting in a crate......ready to install.

Last edited by LS6427; 04-12-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
....same ****...different day. Same thing Jake told me when my emails went unanswered for awhile....and all I did was post that I could not get a reply from Jakes and could someone recommend another builder for me. Then Jake posted after like 10 days, basically called me a liar saying I never emailed him. I then posted up all my proof of my multiple emails that were sent to his email address.......then they said the same BULLSHIT...

"They would rather not take me as a customer." I guess because I didn't get a reply for like 10 days of trying, and then showed proof after being called a liar.....so I'm the bad guy.....hahahahaha

Well he lost a customer and it seems these high and mighty people really don't care about losing customers like you and me......Jakes will NOT be around long term....thats for sure.
Imagine the service and questions Jakes will give you AFTER you have paid and you are no longer of any use to them......you will be shut out completely.....

Check your PM. I'll tell you how to get the same EXACT transmission, for a little less money. And a 2 year warranty.

My brand new Stage 4 is sitting in a crate......ready to install.

I had responded to several emails from you. Do I need to screenshot it again. You had called and I had attempted a call back on at least one of those calls.

We have a 12 week backlog currently.
What I've learned doing this over time is to pick my customers.
If a guy calls and doesn't have the patience to wait for a call back, then he's not a good candidate because, as stated, we have over 100 orders waiting right now. Nobody gets special treatment.

You aren't getting the EXACT transmission anywhere else.
I deal with the guys that think they are getting a deal somewhere else all the time. They call, wanting a discoutn because they already spent all the cash somewhere else and now need it done right.
They wait in line, and pay the same as everyone else.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Guys, all I'm looking for at this time is options. Id rather not ruffle feathers. I should start a build thread soon as I ve been reading up and owe this site a huge thanks for jus what I ve read while lurking. This is my first car I'm doing most of the work myself and learning big time. Please disregard all bashing. It sounds like just a big misunderstanding.

Thank you for the pm ls6427!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Dana at probuilt automatics (www.700r4l60e.com). He spent at least $200 long-distance phone calls helping through my first transmission rebuild, using his kit, and gave me a loooong list of special installation tricks and hints, and that was 15 years ago. I don't know anyone with more experience, and more time for the customer, and he does post around here from time to time as well.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Dana at probuilt automatics (www.700r4l60e.com). He spent at least $200 long-distance phone calls helping through my first transmission rebuild, using his kit, and gave me a loooong list of special installation tricks and hints, and that was 15 years ago. I don't know anyone with more experience, and more time for the customer, and he does post around here from time to time as well.

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Why were my rubuttle threads to JAKES HOE deleted? There are no doubt 2 sides to each story and I thought I was being polite in those posts. Much nicer than how she responded in my thread and put me on blast. Kinda sux, I ll take back my apology for the misunderstanding. lol. hmmmm!

pm sent JAKES HOE. Thanx for being polite n civil
Old 04-13-2016, 04:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
I had responded to several emails from you. Do I need to screenshot it again. You had called and I had attempted a call back on at least one of those calls.

We have a 12 week backlog currently.
What I've learned doing this over time is to pick my customers.
If a guy calls and doesn't have the patience to wait for a call back, then he's not a good candidate because, as stated, we have over 100 orders waiting right now. Nobody gets special treatment.

You aren't getting the EXACT transmission anywhere else.
I deal with the guys that think they are getting a deal somewhere else all the time. They call, wanting a discoutn because they already spent all the cash somewhere else and now need it done right.
They wait in line, and pay the same as everyone else.
From your very professional employee....Jess....is this how a reply should be to a potential customer?

" it’s hard for us to drop what we’re doing to race to the phone to hold your hand. It seems to me that you’re used to throwing a little hissy fit and getting your way immediately, but we just don’t have time for that. I also find it humorous that you told me you don’t have the time to mess with email but yet here you are running your mouth on a forum about us instead."

Its apparent that at your place of business the customer is NEVER right....or the priority.

Straighten out....or you WILL go out of business like most speed shops and specialty shops do. Its hard enough in this industry to be a leader.......you don't need to have people like Jess responding to potential customers.

AND.....if you are so busy and doing so well....get some damn help in there like every other successful company does. Thats "Business 101".....

Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I wont get into all the crazy stuff, I know over the years Jake has been helpful with info, but his business has grown where it takes a lot more of his time, same with most Co's when business is good
My feelings on trans is their very heavy, prob over 170 lbs on an 80E, so shipping is costly, and if you have to send one back its pricy, and the down time-I decided to build my own, since I do my own work on everything else.
There is enough info out there on them, but it is time consuming and takes a few Kent Moore tools to make life easy, and bushing drivers, etc.
There are several builders on the East coast, you might even find one in Jersey, as there are some guys running LS based engines-they are on the Yellow Bullet, maybe ck the trans section
What is your HP goal, street car, drag car, etc
Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Why were my rubuttle threads to JAKES HOE deleted? There are no doubt 2 sides to each story and I thought I was being polite in those posts. Much nicer than how she responded in my thread and put me on blast. Kinda sux, I ll take back my apology for the misunderstanding. lol. hmmmm!

pm sent JAKES HOE. Thanx for being polite n civil
First, I did not delete them. As a Moderator I can usually see deleted posts, but don't see them, making me think an Admin completely deleted them.

It is clear that Jake's transmissions have a stellar reputation. With some improvement in pre-customer service, he could become the next Rossler.
I agree with LS6427 that every prospect should be encouraged to become a customer and be treated with utmost respect; and never be told to go elsewhere.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, loooong time lurker here. I don't have a dog in this fight however I have emailed Jake several times and each time he has responded much faster than I anticipated and with succinct, accurate answers. I have never met the man, nor called him.

Quite frankly I have spent very little money with the man and he could completely blow me off and be justified for it. However each time I emailed him I received a response (and each time, much faster than expected).

(Being a busy business person myself) I understand and appreciate the logic behind email over phone for a few reasons:

It puts everything in writing and avoids any misunderstandings miscommunications, etc. It CYA's yourself in the event that the customer claims you built to the wrong specs (hard to prove either way when the only documentation is a phone call but 99% of the time the business loses to the customer). Unfortunately everyone has to protect themselves a little bit these days, I get that.

It is a streamlined form of communication as the answers are very quick, direct and without the fluff. (some people may find a short, direct, succinct answer almost a little offensive when they write paragraphs, however this is normal business language in my experience).

One last thought: a mentor once asked me how much non-charge time and energy I spend in my business "engaging with prospect clients, etc.". He then asked me the same question for my established clients. His response "It sounds like I would much rather be your prospect than your client as they get a lot more attention at a much lower cost.". In my opinion, Jake is doing the opposite which makes a lot more business sense (albeit there is always room for improvement...for everyone).
Old 04-14-2016, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally not getting into this argument. But take a look at Rpm transmission everything I have ever seen from them is excellent. I have not dealt with jakes so I have no dog in this fight, just trying to help the op.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by liquidmx
Hey guys, loooong time lurker here. I don't have a dog in this fight however I have emailed Jake several times and each time he has responded much faster than I anticipated and with succinct, accurate answers. I have never met the man, nor called him.

Quite frankly I have spent very little money with the man and he could completely blow me off and be justified for it. However each time I emailed him I received a response (and each time, much faster than expected).

(Being a busy business person myself) I understand and appreciate the logic behind email over phone for a few reasons:

It puts everything in writing and avoids any misunderstandings miscommunications, etc. It CYA's yourself in the event that the customer claims you built to the wrong specs (hard to prove either way when the only documentation is a phone call but 99% of the time the business loses to the customer). Unfortunately everyone has to protect themselves a little bit these days, I get that.

It is a streamlined form of communication as the answers are very quick, direct and without the fluff. (some people may find a short, direct, succinct answer almost a little offensive when they write paragraphs, however this is normal business language in my experience).

One last thought: a mentor once asked me how much non-charge time and energy I spend in my business "engaging with prospect clients, etc.". He then asked me the same question for my established clients. His response "It sounds like I would much rather be your prospect than your client as they get a lot more attention at a much lower cost.". In my opinion, Jake is doing the opposite which makes a lot more business sense (albeit there is always room for improvement...for everyone).
There's no doubt that Jake is nice to a lot of people, that have not yet sent him money, otherwise he would be out of business already, if he treated everyone like he has treated me and several other people that post about their experiences Jakes would be Out-of-Business today. The OP just dropped over $6,000 two days ago to another builder because of his treatment by Jake. Thats well over $10,000 between me and him lost.....

I remember a couple years ago I asked Jake a couple questions and he did answer them. But it seems that if you ask too many questions to him, and a lot of shops (and sponsors) without ordering something they will blow you off as a nuisance and not worth talking to anymore. Its happened many times through the years with hundreds of people here. Happens every day actually.

SIMPLE: If Jake is that busy....he needs to hire more people. In turn he will keep more of his customers, in turn making more money, in turn growing his company bigger. Now some people don't want to get any bigger. In that case they should have a recording on their phone saying they cannot accept any more customers at the moment due to being backlogged. That would be much better than having a conversation where you feel like you are aggravating the guy and then he (or his employees) tells you your a baby, they cannot hold your hand, you throw hissy fits, etc.......Then they tell you to take your business somewhere else.

And Jake cannot tell someone he does not want their business. Anyone can call to order a transmission. I can have my mother call to order what I need. I can have a shop call and order what I need. So if anyone really wants a Jakes transmission....anyone can get one, even if Jake does not want to sell them one. I'm a perfect example...I have a stage 4....for the price of a Stage 3......
There's tons of people who have bought Jakes transmissions from people who never got a chance to use them, they are sitting brand new in crates all over. I know of another one right now in Tampa. You just have to find them......and anyone can open one up later to replace anything thats broken or to replace a hard part, or to refresh it. They just call and order the hard part and have a competent builder install it. There's no big miracle in dis-assembly and reassembly of a 4L80E.......
I was just personally looking to buy a named brand tranny from the guy who seems to be at the top right now...for now anyway. I have the cash to buy the best **** right now..

You should see the amount of PMs FTI has sent to me in the past 2 weeks. Now I'm buying a custom built triple disc 10" stall converter from them and a flexplate. They were great to chat with.

This is how a business slowly goes BYE-BYE.....one customer at a time, or two customers at a time in me and the OPs case.

But I hope that doesn't happen to be honest.......

Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well put. I emailed Jake a couple questions and received very short incomplete answers to my questions, which it sounded like he was annoyed in his response, although they were relatively quick.

I talked to FTI that same day, their receptionist said they had one guy answering tech questions today and would call me back asap. They did, he was super helpful and even told me where I could find the exact transmission I was looking for on sale through a vendor.

In an industry where you rely basically entirely on people's expendable income for your customer base, customer service is absolutely everything. You **** off a couple people no matter how good your product is, eventually you run out of customers.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Won-Ton
Very well put. I emailed Jake a couple questions and received very short incomplete answers to my questions, which it sounded like he was annoyed in his response, although they were relatively quick.

I talked to FTI that same day, their receptionist said they had one guy answering tech questions today and would call me back asap. They did, he was super helpful and even told me where I could find the exact transmission I was looking for on sale through a vendor.

In an industry where you rely basically entirely on people's expendable income for your customer base, customer service is absolutely everything. You **** off a couple people no matter how good your product is, eventually you run out of customers.
I'm not sure how you can detect emotion from an email. I sure can't.
My answers are usually short and to the point. Answering 100s of emails a day I have to limit the time spent.

I try to give adequate answers but sometimes miss the nuances. I'm often answering emails and talking on the phone.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Call Tyler at North Texas Converter best customer service hands down!!!!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
There's no doubt that Jake is nice to a lot of people, that have not yet sent him money, otherwise he would be out of business already, if he treated everyone like he has treated me and several other people that post about their experiences Jakes would be Out-of-Business today. The OP just dropped over $6,000 two days ago to another builder because of his treatment by Jake. Thats well over $10,000 between me and him lost.....

I remember a couple years ago I asked Jake a couple questions and he did answer them. But it seems that if you ask too many questions to him, and a lot of shops (and sponsors) without ordering something they will blow you off as a nuisance and not worth talking to anymore. Its happened many times through the years with hundreds of people here. Happens every day actually.

SIMPLE: If Jake is that busy....he needs to hire more people. In turn he will keep more of his customers, in turn making more money, in turn growing his company bigger. Now some people don't want to get any bigger. In that case they should have a recording on their phone saying they cannot accept any more customers at the moment due to being backlogged. That would be much better than having a conversation where you feel like you are aggravating the guy and then he (or his employees) tells you your a baby, they cannot hold your hand, you throw hissy fits, etc.......Then they tell you to take your business somewhere else.

And Jake cannot tell someone he does not want their business. Anyone can call to order a transmission. I can have my mother call to order what I need. I can have a shop call and order what I need. So if anyone really wants a Jakes transmission....anyone can get one, even if Jake does not want to sell them one. I'm a perfect example...I have a stage 4....for the price of a Stage 3......
There's tons of people who have bought Jakes transmissions from people who never got a chance to use them, they are sitting brand new in crates all over. I know of another one right now in Tampa. You just have to find them......and anyone can open one up later to replace anything thats broken or to replace a hard part, or to refresh it. They just call and order the hard part and have a competent builder install it. There's no big miracle in dis-assembly and reassembly of a 4L80E.......
I was just personally looking to buy a named brand tranny from the guy who seems to be at the top right now...for now anyway. I have the cash to buy the best **** right now..

You should see the amount of PMs FTI has sent to me in the past 2 weeks. Now I'm buying a custom built triple disc 10" stall converter from them and a flexplate. They were great to chat with.

This is how a business slowly goes BYE-BYE.....one customer at a time, or two customers at a time in me and the OPs case.

But I hope that doesn't happen to be honest.......

Yup, i spent closer to $7,000.
I felt really good about the purchase because said trans guy "held my hand" thru the sale. And rightfully so as i know nothing about trannys and the ls/auto platform. I own n operate an hvac company. Im successful because i take care of my customers...even the little guys.
Im not happy my rebuttles were deleted as JAKESHOE got to put me on blast. I feel my rebuttles were more in favor of squashing it n moving on. Bottom line, my INITIAL dealings with jakes performance did not go well for whatever reason. I ve since bypassed jess and spoken with jake. We left it on gentlemans terms. Im quite sure he builds the best 4l80e tranny. But i chose to shop elsewhere n feelgood sofar about my decision. Thank you all for the pm s.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a great experience with them. bought a jakes 4l80 from a local that was brand new still on the pallet. Called jakes to verify everything and they were friendly even though I didn't spend a penny with them.

fast forward, I ordered a billet multi disk from him when he was running a sale. even took off a little extra because he was running their transmissions.

Sometimes emails take time to get answered no matter who you are dealing with. She offered to take the info and have jake call back. couldn't wait a few hours or day for a return call? had to spend the money on a trans right now?

for what its worth, sounds like they have a huge backlog, I know they did when I called for an update about my converter. as a paying customer, id be more upset if I had already spent money and he was worried about possible other sales before taking care of me. Im sure you would have been in the same boat if he was trying to get a core for you and couldn't take a phone call for someone else wanting something.

sorry you had a bad experience.

Quick Reply: 4l80e transmission builder/options