Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best TH-400 Builder/Driving issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best TH-400 Builder/Driving issue.

Who would you say is the best TH-400 rebuilder/builder?

With the chassis setup, it is a couple pita hours to get the transmission out and that is without the skidplates attached. So I really want a more permanent transmission.

Long story short, I have not had good luck with my "local" very reputable builder.

First time, I had the fluid puking out the dipstick (may have seen the post here) and they said bring it back and they would take care of it. Called it a mismatch between the pump and the transmission. I'd rather hear, we screwed up an o-ring and it was the typical crossleak, but trying to save face, I get it.

Reinstall said transmission. First no fluid puking, great. Took a long time to get any motion out of it Forward or Reverse. All that was hooked up was my transfer case. Lots of shifting through the gears, checking the fluid level and no fluid through the cooler lines (they were clear at the time for this reason). Got the rpms up a bit and started to see fluid being pumped through, shifted through the gears and finally got movement.

Put everything back together, drove it around for 10-15 minutes and no fluid puking issue. Drove it around second time and now it is sluggish going into any gear where before it was nearly instant. And before shifting between forward and reverse you could feel it trying to drive through the brakes, now it doesn't even budge the brakes. Then if I bump the throttle, there is a delay and then the buggy jumps abruptly.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have heard great things about Rossler
Old 04-14-2016, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Mint, thank you!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I've had several pro builders and sponsors here lament that Rossler, due to their "reputation" builds transmission no better than theirs, sometimes even inferior, yet can charge twice as much.
Why not tell us where you are located and someone will direct you to a good builder.

Asking who is the "best" builder is like asking who is the "prettiest" actress/actor; opinions will vary greatly. Unless you are running 2000+ HP, you don't need the "best", just a good builder.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

My opinion is probably slightly bias, but I think the FTI guys do a great job.

Give us a call. We are more than happy to help.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Good point, I am located in Massachusetts. It is not a drag racing or street application, and its horribly abusive drivetrain wise.

I am looking for a builder who has a good reputation, gives me back the confidence in my transmission and who speaks fluent Turbo-400.

I was charged close to what Rossler has listed, and nowhere near the same level of modifications were done. Not the 34T sprag (from what I can read on the write up), stock width bands, never mentioned the possibility of damage from not running engine braking and what should have tipped me off in the first place, they wanted to make sure they had instructions for the valve body. I am thinking for an off the shelf valve body...really?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
My opinion is probably slightly bias, but I think the FTI guys do a great job.

Give us a call. We are more than happy to help.
Thanks, Bias is fine with me, just not for my tires!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Rossler is the most overrated builder in the industry
Old 04-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Pm sent

Quick Reply: Best TH-400 Builder/Driving issue.