Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-plate to Converter bolts bottom out ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flex-plate to Converter bolts bottom out ?

Read lots of posts regarding spacing etc. but I'm confused about "after" the two are bolted together... I have an LS3/4L70 "Connect & Cruise" package and the 3 bolts for the flex-plate / converter came with the kit. When installed the converter does not snug up to the flex-plate before the bolts have "bottomed out" in the converter. What am I missing ?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They only need to be about 1/2" of thread if that, do not use lock washers or any washers for that matter. just use a little silicone on the threads. Red locktite might be too tight since its tight tolerances and you may have to use an open ended wrench to break them free
Old 05-06-2016, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take a picture of what's happening?

-Brian
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by snomo
Read lots of posts regarding spacing etc. but I'm confused about "after" the two are bolted together... I have an LS3/4L70 "Connect & Cruise" package and the 3 bolts for the flex-plate / converter came with the kit. When installed the converter does not snug up to the flex-plate before the bolts have "bottomed out" in the converter. What am I missing ?
Good that you noticed this as the bolts must tighten to (around?) 50 ft/lbs before they bottom out in the converter.
Either the converter threads are very shallow or the bolts are too long.

I suspect that shepss217 did not understand your problem.
The consensus is to use blue loctite on the treads once you know they won't bottom out.

Personally, I would put grade 8 washers under the bolts so that they don't bottom out. Just be careful that the bolts then don't hit the back of the block as the clearance is fairly tight.
Also, I use Red Loctite and find that even my battery impact wrench easily breaks those loose.

Best is to take Brian's advice and show us a picture and measurement of how long the bolts are. Best will be to get the proper length bolts; a local auto parts or dealer might have them.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understood his problem completely. Sounds like his bolts were too long, i was saying not to use red loctite because if you can only get an open end of a wrench in there to break the bolts off if need be than he might strip the head off, usually you can get a socket with a swivel and long extention if the bolt is all the way up the access opening
Old 05-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Teching In

1st pic shows the converter up against the flex-plate, bolt is bottomed out and as you see there is a gap. The bolts came withe the package and I even checked the p/n and its looks to be the recommended. It's an M10-1.50 and approx 22mm long from shoulder. The kit also contained the second bolt in pic #2, it's an m10-1.50 approx 14mm long with red loctite on it, although I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Last edited by snomo; 05-06-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: bolt size typo
Old 05-06-2016, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

The second bolt is the one you are going to want to use
Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Looks like you got two set of bolts with the intention that you use the bolts that best fit your needs. The shorter one in your case.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Teching In

I think I'll chalk this up to "old age" or at least that's the story I'm sticking with I'm thinking the longer bolts came in the LS3 packaging and the shorter (red loctite) bolts actually came packaged with the converter. Yesterday I was searching LS/4l70E data - should have looked directly at the converter info as I spotted a pic of the bolts. As several of you mentioned - it is the second, shorter, bolt. I guess this is the risk of stretching out the "work" over months. Appreciate the replies guys.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry but Id use the longer bolt to pull the converter close, then remove and install the shorter bolt to actually tighten down. Dunno if this is why they included it but that's what I would personally do.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Did you torque down the longer bolts? Depending on converter style, it could have pushed through the lockup clutch surface. This is usually catastrophic. Hopefully you caught the issue before all that.

-Brian
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Nope, never "torqued" they obviously bottomed out so I waited until I could get my other car off my lift and get a better look.

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Flex-plate to Converter bolts bottom out ?