Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans cooler making car run hotter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Trans cooler making car run hotter?

I've got a fresh (sub 200 miles) Ellwein 383, and a new Yank 3k converter. I installed the B&M 70274 supercooler ahead of the radiator & condenser (first thing behind the bumper) sitting away from the condenser by about an inch. In traffic here in Atlanta on a 95 degree day with surface temps well over 120, AC cranked, the trans gets to about 190 and the engine starts to get too warm for my liking.

There is no fan on the cooler. Its getting air pulled through it by the primary electric radiator fan, which makes me wonder if that 170-190 degree air coming off the trans cooler is what's also heating up the engine via heatsokaing the radiator. The car has not overheated, but the gauge got well over 1/2 when it normally stays about 1/4 and we had to turn off the ac and fire up the heat to get the engine to cool off a bit.

Once the car is moving, its a-ok and I have no issues with it getting hot. Trans also stays around 165. Same thing with sitting in traffic in the morning when ambient temps are lower. I've since purchased an 11" pusher fan that I am going to mount ahead of the trans cooler, but I'm wondering if that'll help or hurt things at this point.

New water pump and 180 degree t-stat, stock fan temps.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

not that it may matter but does the car still have reverse cooling?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
not that it may matter but does the car still have reverse cooling?
Sorry for not clarifying - it's an LT1 with reverse cooling. Trans cooler is on the primary-fan side.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Under the outside conditions Im afraid 190 is probably gonna be normal, especially when its spaced away from the condenser, which lets air bypass going through the cooler to a certain extent. Fluid always takes the path of least resistance, thats why fans have shrouds, to funnel and force the air to go through the radiator. Once you start spacing thing apart it gives the air a little bit of an alternate path. That being said those temps are still what I expect to see under your conditions. 190 is definitely not overheating, and I'd be willing to be most cars along side of you their transmissions were running 225 or better.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I would try and get it off the front of the condenser and mount it horizontal behind the bumper (dope style)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you running the trans cooler as a stand alone or do you still use the radiator cooler in conjunction?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input, all. I am running the cooler by itself - not through the radiator. I'm not as worried about the trans temp as I am about the engine temp. Others have suggested that the trans cooler may be creating an airflow restriction on the primary-side of the radiator, causing the engine to get too hot. I'll be moving the cooler to the secondary side and installing the pusher fan to compensate. We'll see how that goes...
Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you ran the trans cooler in line with the radiator cooler, you would see lower, more stable temps.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler making car run hotter?