Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th to 2nd downshifts slipping??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th to 2nd downshifts slipping??

My car has 13,000mi on it and when i'm in the 65-69mph range and go WOT and get a 4th to 2nd downshift the trans seems to be slipping because the RPM's will jump very quickly before the car really starts to get going and for the first time yesterday it hit the rev limiter while doing this Any ideas on what is going out on the trans??? Thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any ideas fellas??? What is slipping...or is something not grabbing...2nd gear clutch pack going????? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something's not right. Take it to the dealer.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Sounds like the band isn't holding on the downshift into second.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could be many things. Doubt its the band, as its already engaged for 4th gear. Could be the low/reverse clutch pack though, as it engages when the 3/4 disengages. Too many variables. Make sure the fluid is full and I mean totally full, to or just over the top dot.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Could be many things. Doubt its the band, as its already engaged for 4th gear. Could be the low/reverse clutch pack though, as it engages when the 3/4 disengages. Too many variables. Make sure the fluid is full and I mean totally full, to or just over the top dot.
????

2nd apply band and 3rd clutch pack engage at same time for fourth, when you go from 4th to second, both let go and the band re-applies, if it's slipping in upper rpms, it'b probably a failing band, then that'll take out your 3rd gear clutch pack if you drive around in OD after it starts doing that.

Same thing happened to me two months ago and my band had failed, the servo punched a hole in the pin-apply area.

if it was the low/reverse clutch he would have same problem in every gear
Old 06-28-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys!!!! I would take it to the dealer but it don't do it all the time, but it will happen quite a bit...and with my luck it won't do it when the dealer has it. I almost want to keep doing the 4th to 2nd downshifts and wear out the band so there is no question about it being bad when I bring it in, it's pretty sorry I even have to think like that, but thats just the way it is sometimes......
Old 06-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Could be many things. Doubt its the band, as its already engaged for 4th gear. Could be the low/reverse clutch pack though, as it engages when the 3/4 disengages.
The low reverse clutch isn't applied in second or even manual second. It's applied in manual first and reverse.......only! That's why it's called the low/reverse clutch.

There are only three devices applied in manual second. The 2-4 band, the overruninng clutch, and the foward clutch. Since the foward clutch and the overrunning clutch are already engaged when the 2-4 downshift is occuring, the 2-4 band will see the heat and stress of trying to arrest the rotation of the reverse input drum.

That's why it's the 2-4 band slipping!
Old 07-02-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

had the same problem, it was the 2-4 band.
It was pretty glazed