Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think I have a problem

last night a couple of us were driving around and my friend in a gt wanted to run so we went from a 30mph role. When we were getting into a neighborhood I was at a stop sign and i started going and the tranny didnt go into 2nd until I let off. it sucks because my warranty just went out. and I need to know what this problem could be. -thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Do you still not have 2nd gear? How about Overdrive? Do you have reverse?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could just be adaptive shifting. If you were making a few WOT runs then immediately started driving very mellow, the adaptive shift settings in the computer could hold first gear longer than normal at part throttle.

Has it done it since?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Cool Warranty...

Originally Posted by Mexican
last night a couple of us were driving around and my friend in a gt wanted to run so we went from a 30mph role. When we were getting into a neighborhood I was at a stop sign and i started going and the tranny didnt go into 2nd until I let off. it sucks because my warranty just went out. and I need to know what this problem could be. -thanks
I see you live in Texas, Mexican. Don't know about automobile warranties, but with home warranties, Texas law gives you 30 additional days to file a claim.
If your warranty truly JUST NOW ran out(assuming this law applies to vehicles also)...then this would be something that would make you very happy that you live in Texas, no? It's definitely worth checking into!

Case in point...right after my warranty ran out on my Vette, the damn gas gauge went on the blink. I took it back in to the dealer, and they fixed it under warranty, even though the warranty ran out 2 days before.($800 cost to me, had it not been fixed under warranty)

Some companies are well aware of this law, and intentionaly keep it quiet...for obvious reasons! Good luck!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
Do you still not have 2nd gear? How about Overdrive? Do you have reverse?
i still have 2nd gear and reverse but it goes into 2nd when i let off and then accelerate.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Usually when you have to lift for it to shift, its actually going into third. Manually shift it and don't let the shifter go past 2nd and see if it still shifts. If it does, then the band is probably burnt/glazed and can only stop the Reverse Input Housing (drum) from rotating when there is no load. If its staying in first, then the band may be broken or may have valvebody/servo issues.

Do you have 4th gear?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

you have 4th gear?[/QUOTE]
i do have all 4 gears but i will not shift into 2nd unless i let of and then i can tell that it goes into 2nd and then i can going. if i dont let off it will just rev up.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fluid level first off. ? --- was it bouncing on the rev limiter when you let off? Is it slipping to rev limiter real quick at any point?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
Usually when you have to lift for it to shift, its actually going into third. Manually shift it and don't let the shifter go past 2nd and see if it still shifts. If it does, then the band is probably burnt/glazed and can only stop the Reverse Input Housing (drum) from rotating when there is no load. If its staying in first, then the band may be broken or may have valvebody/servo issues.
i had to drive it today and i put it in 2nd and it was not grabing it was just reving up so what could this be ? a band ?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Probably a burnt/broken band. When you were "lifting" it was probably shifting into third gear. Keeping it in second locks out third gear, making the lack of second more evident.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

could i have a clutch that is going out? I had a friend that told me that this could also be the problem. But this is the 3rd time this has happen and the past two times warranty covered it but they never told me what it was. While they were fixing it the 2nd time they said that when who ever fixed it (the 1st time) didnt do it right and im guessing they didnt do a good job the 2nd time. Thanks for trying to help me with this problem i just got to see how im going to get this fixed. its kinda hard when you are 18 and in school and working all at the same time but hopfully i can get this fixed soon. thanks