Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Solenoid Stuck On... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Solenoid Stuck On... HELP!

Before anyone tells me USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, I have and I didn't get all the answers I wanted. I put in an aftermarket stall (TCI 3500) so I know why it's throwing that code. I also read that it wouldn't let me shift to 3rd or 4th. Thing is that it's shifting fine and it locks up NOW. I raised the idle a bit because when I'd come to a stop the RPMs would dip to about 300 and the car would almost turn off. Before raising the idle it wouldn't lock up everytime. Now as soon as I get to 42-45 it locks up. What I want to know is will this screw anything up if I just leave it and will it go away? Or do I have to use LS1 edit to delete the code? I have NO money to get LS1 edit and I don't know anyone around here that has it, nor do I know if they'd charge me for it. Winter is coming along and I want to run the car. Will it affect the performance at all? Keep in mind that the car is shifting fine. Should I just change the solenoids? How much would it cost to change them?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lock up is fine. The shift solenoid stuck is not an uncommon problem with high stalls. Most cars will perform fine while occasionally getting this error.

How did you change your idle speed w/o edit? Did you add more air by adjusting the idle set screw?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Yup... And ever since I set it, the car's running a hell of a lot better. Better throttle response, shifts feel as if I had a stock stall. How do I get rid of this problem?? Will it screw up the transmission if I just leave it that way? That SES light is one of my pet peeves. It's annoying the hell out of me
Old 09-05-2004, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheHauntedZ28
Yup... And ever since I set it, the car's running a hell of a lot better. Better throttle response, shifts feel as if I had a stock stall. How do I get rid of this problem?? Will it screw up the transmission if I just leave it that way? That SES light is one of my pet peeves. It's annoying the hell out of me
Have same problem ttt
Old 09-06-2004, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheHauntedZ28
Before anyone tells me USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, I have and I didn't get all the answers I wanted. I put in an aftermarket stall (TCI 3500) so I know why it's throwing that code. I also read that it wouldn't let me shift to 3rd or 4th. Thing is that it's shifting fine and it locks up NOW. I raised the idle a bit because when I'd come to a stop the RPMs would dip to about 300 and the car would almost turn off. Before raising the idle it wouldn't lock up everytime. Now as soon as I get to 42-45 it locks up. What I want to know is will this screw anything up if I just leave it and will it go away? Or do I have to use LS1 edit to delete the code? I have NO money to get LS1 edit and I don't know anyone around here that has it, nor do I know if they'd charge me for it. Winter is coming along and I want to run the car. Will it affect the performance at all? Keep in mind that the car is shifting fine. Should I just change the solenoids? How much would it cost to change them?

Have you tried to reset the computer to see if the code comes back? I had this a while back. I could delete it and it would come back a couple days later. Ended up swapping out the solenoids. Pretty cheap....I think it was like $30 for both. They are located at the rear of the tranny. very easy to change. Make sure you remove the retaining clips and they come right out.

You can also try pulling them out and spraying them down with parts cleaner. Even changing the fluid can help. So far it has been about 1 and1/2 months without the code coming back (mine was #1 solenoid). Good luck
Old 09-06-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

It wont hurt the Performance,it is just annoying as hell,I have had this problem with all 3 of these verters over the last 4 years,SY3500,PI Vig 3200 and my now SS4000 ,It is a common code # PO751 ,My trans guy replaced my solinoids and it didnt cure itRagtop is right it is because of a bigger stall speed.I just kept clearing out the code.
Dont worry just drive it and enjoy
Scott

Last edited by Pro Mouse; 09-06-2004 at 02:18 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Code PO751 is Solenoid 1-2 performance stuck off. Performance means it mechanical, not eletrical related. I had this code come on during the last couple weeks and sometimes the trans will not kick down into the next lower gear. Everytime I've cleared until will come back on.

BTW - are the solenoids located on the outside of the tranny or in the valve body?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

BLKTA,Really it wouldnt Kick down?Thats interesting,I didnt have that problem at all.I guess the saying goes,not all cars are the same is true,Because I never had that problem at all
Old 09-08-2004, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

blkta their on the back of the valve body inside of the pan.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Teching In

I have that code too. . It said Shift solenoid A CKT Performance or stuck off and code 2 is the same but it said pending. The car is not stock its stalled camed and it has a shift kit. I had the shop instal a BBK TB insted of the stock and an slp maf. Didnt think it would need a re tune, so it didnt get retuned. . The car didnt idle when starting had to give some gas in order to idle from starting it. It felt like it was not geting enough air during idle. I drove it for about 50 miles and the code came on. . So i put the stock TB and MAF back erased the code and it didnt come back so far i derove it for about 35 miles. could the sensors in the TB have something to do with that code?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Need to disable 751, 757, raise the lower misfire table numbers.
For the idle raise the Base Running Airflow approx .20 to .30

Shift solenoids don't just go bad in every transmission that gets a converter put in it.
The fault code is set because the rpm drop down between shifts is higher than stock, and theres no table to tune for that, the only option is to disable it.

After all if a shift solenoid went bad it wouldn't shift and it would be obvious, you don't need a light in the dash to tell you it stopped shifting. Plus it still does an electrical check on the solenoid and will set the light if thats bad.

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid Stuck On... HELP!