Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny mounts

I have a built 4L60E and a energy suspension trans mount which vibrates, can you still get a 1LE or equiv. rubber mount or am I stuck with what I have or the stock one
thankx for any input
Old 02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

I have a better idea. What most people do when they have a vibrating tranny mount from energy suspension is they trim the two nubs off and put the "spacer" plate back on. After that the vibration should be gone.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

i had the same problem. i ended up buying a new gm stock trans mount- and buying "window weld" made by "3M". it is an old trick that honduh guys use when they want to be cheap.

you need to go to a body shop/car paint supply store and tell them you are installing a windshield. they give you the tube (12-15$ i believe) and you put it in your caulk gun. then FILL the mount and all of it's orfaces and all around the mount so it is basically a ball of urethane, but don't do the top or bottum of the mount (trans and cross member mounting surfaces) and wipe it away from the 2 bolt holes).

let this dry for A WEEK (out side is better, it takes FOREVER to cure when applied really thick). after a week (or a couple of days but i gave mine 2 weeks because i didn't need it right then anyway) you'll see that the mount is awesome.

i now get minimal vibrations (a little more than a stock untouched mount) but compared to the poly mount my car still rides like a caddilac. love it, would reccomend windo-welding mounts to anybody. the **** is indestructable also.

wow- long post but i GUARANTEE you will be pleased with the outcome, and will have a LOT of trouble breaking the mount after the window-weld, if it is even possible.

i am planning on doing this to my motor mounts when i get a chance and can live without the car for a week. it is just stiff enough to be good but not too stiff, it gives just like the stock mount but is STRONG!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn that's a great idea and never had I heard of that. Anyone else here try it? Seems like a nice option.

FWIW, it took my ES trans mount (without the plate/nubs) about a thousand miles to break in.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you mean break in, do you mean the ride is some and no vibrations or noise?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY
Damn that's a great idea and never had I heard of that. Anyone else here try it? Seems like a nice option.

FWIW, it took my ES trans mount (without the plate/nubs) about a thousand miles to break in.

put it this way- if you try it and hate it, what did you really waste but 15$ on the silicone and 2 hours (tops) on the application and then install of the dried mount. if you think it sucks put the poly back in.

interesting though if the poly mount would break in a little bit. i didn't have it on long enough to see, i couldn't stand the ******* thing, but i knew a stocker would last about 4 hard launches.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, by breaking in I meant that I no longer had that vibration problem anymore. You can still feel it's there compared to stock but nowhere as bad as when it's new. When it was brand new, I could rev it in neutral and the car would vibrate. That problem went away with time.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

My ES tranny mount is fine. It vibrates a little but not too much. I hardly notice it at speeds under 80, but at 130 it roars. Doesnt bother me any though. It was a pain in the *** to put in though, didn't quite fit perfect, had to force it in a little but it eventually worked.