Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market shift kit?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market shift kit?????

All my mods are in the sig. Just need some opinons on if I should get a shift kit or not? How will a shift kit help performance wise? Will shorten the tranny life? How will it effect A4 tranny's opperations? Im thinking about getting a Transgo kit. But does anybody know a good shop or person that can install it for me in the DFW Texas area?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There are a couple of threads on it right now and if you do a search on Transgo you will find a ton of material.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

I had a B&M Stage 2 shift kit on my '95 TA and I loved it, shifted hard and firm. I only had minor bolt-on's on it and it would bark them going into second. I've heard that a lot of guys like the Transgo kits too, they give you more options with them but they are more expensive. The shift kits are actually suppost to extend the life of the tranny. I also had the Trans fluid changed with B&M Trick Shift tranny fluid. I would recommend the kit to anyone but I think the Transgo kits are nice too. Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of info on the Transgo kits. They're not too bad to install but any good shop should be able to do it in a short amount of time.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GREATWALLTA
All my mods are in the sig. Just need some opinons on if I should get a shift kit or not? How will a shift kit help performance wise? Will shorten the tranny life? How will it effect A4 tranny's opperations? Im thinking about getting a Transgo kit. But does anybody know a good shop or person that can install it for me in the DFW Texas area?

Recently went through the same deliberation on what would be best for my set-up. There's a lot of information in the sticky about transmission fluid pressure that will explain different experiences that people have had. Shift kits included. For what it's worth, decided to use a transmission wake up kit which includes an intermediate billet servo, overdrive billet servo, & an oversize pressure boost valve. Is supposed to provide firm shifts throughout. Will install this weekend.

Almost bought a Transgo shift kit. A lot of people have had success with them.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Launching!

I have the basic wake up kit installed in my car too. It includes the exact same parts that yours does. with those parts already installed in my tranny. Which stage transgo kit is best for me right now.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which stage transgo kit is best for me right now.
They don't name their kits in stages. Go with a 4L60E-HD2-B.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GREATWALLTA
I have the basic wake up kit installed in my car too. It includes the exact same parts that yours does. with those parts already installed in my tranny. Which stage transgo kit is best for me right now.

Sorry, can't answer. I have no experience with using shift kits after already modifying the transmission.

Can you tell me how the wake up kit is operating? Have you noticed an improvement in shifting? Thanks
Old 10-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Launching!

The "Wake up" is pretty much some minor performance replacement parts for the stock 4L60E with a better servo, stiffer springs, and better boost valve. It made the tranny shift alot more quicker and smooth through all 4 gears, and increased the line pressure a little, but its not a rock hard shift that churped the tires or anything.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, it's good to hear that what was offered by the manufacturer matches the performance. Should be pretty much what I need. Good-luck with the Trans-go.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:52 AM
11 Second Club

So do Shift kits hurt the transmisson?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Can't really tell you anything about that, but the only I know is many A4 guys has a shift kit in their cars, and most of them has a transgo kit. But if you want just minor upgrades for your 4L60E tranny here is a website that has just about anything you want for 4L60E upgrades.

http://www.4l60-e.com/
Old 10-17-2005, 05:07 AM
11 Second Club

Doe"s a shift kit hurt your transmission? If it doe"s someone explain .
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

My A4 grabs the **** outta second without a shift kit.But i thought about getting one too but wonderng if it will hurt the life of my tranny.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

I've heard that shift kits are suppost to actually extend the life of your tranny because it makes it shift smoother and has better fluid transfer. I don't know all the technical specs on them but I really did like the one I had. I asked the same thing before I got mine and people were telling me that they weren't bad for your tranny but someone that knows more about trannys might say otherwise, I'm no expert.