Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE!! NO Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP PLEASE!! NO Second Gear

Hey guys, I have an S-10 4x4 with an LS1 and was out driving it a bit today working on some tuning and after a couple of runs I don't have 2nd anymore! At partial throttle it will shift to 2nd but not until like 5500 RPM and then it just revs but doesn't engage. I have tried to manually engage 2nd within EFI Live and it won't engage at all. When in Drive it will shift but not until high RPM's and just skip 2nd and go to 3rd and load it up. Any suggestions? I was wondering about the shift solinoids. I can't believe I would of fried a clutch that fast. The damn thing is a new build. I scanned it with the Predator and found no codes but haven't looked for any codes with EFI Live yet. It's a 4l60e built with probuilt automatics top kit up to like 650 hp. Just trying to figure out what I should be looking for or what to try. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 12-03-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

What ur gonna need to do (unfortunately) is generate a code to help you diag. this. if there is a bad shift sol or stuck valve it will give a code w/enough drive cycles. do you have forth whn it finally shifts to 3rd.? if you do then you know the 2-4 band itself (mechanically) is working.
Lemme know.

Last edited by LT1PWRD; 12-05-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I'm pretty sure it has 4th. I'll have to double check. I didn't know these trannies had a limp mode. Is it a limp mode to protect itself like the Allison's have? How does it work and what would cause it? To much power, lose of traction, slipping, etc.? I'll keep driving to try to get some codes. Thanks a lot.

Chris
Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

I have 4th but sill no codes. I'll be driving it some more tomorrow so I'll let you know. I'm really starting to think it's a bad solinoid but I thought I had those replaced when it was built. I'll have to check. Thanks

Chris
Old 12-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I am more or less in the same boat.. would like to know
Old 12-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't gotten a chance to work on it yet. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said most likely it's a stuck valve, bad solinoid or O-ring. Gonna take it off and check it this weekend. I'll let you know. In the meantime I wouldn't drive it much considering it will burn out the clutches. Thanks

Chris
Old 12-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wilds
I have 4th but sill no codes. I'll be driving it some more tomorrow so I'll let you know. I'm really starting to think it's a bad solinoid but I thought I had those replaced when it was built. I'll have to check. Thanks

Chris
When I had my TCI 3500 tc installed, the car threw a P0757 code(2-3 Shift Solenoid Performance - No 3rd). The trans went into limp-home mode and I lost 3rd. I would reset the DTC and I got 3rd back. I finally disabled the code using HP Tuners and the problem went away. Your code sounds more like P0752 (1-2 Shift Solenoid Performance - No 2nd). It's weird that the car hasn't thrown a code. I'm thinking it might be a bad shift solenoid, too. If you get your hands on EFILive try and "force" a shift (EFILive pro has bidirectional controls). That will tell you if you have a bad solenoid or not. HP Tuners can manually shift the trans as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

burned up 2nd gear band. done it in both of my cars. time to pull it apart.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Well it's not a solenoid or the band. I think it's a problem in the valve body. I can force the shift with EFI live but it just revs up and doesn't engage at all. I'll let you know what I figure out about the valve body tomorrow. Thanks

Chris