Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing transmission??

well guys just needed some help on what all tools i would need to remove my transmission. i have to take it off to be rebuilt, and i want to save the labor money of having them taking it off and putting it on. Im going to have a couple of friends helping me take it off. All i wanted to if there was some kind of guide or how to of taking off the transmission online? I also wanted to know exactly what tools and sizes I would need so there would be no surprises once i start. I also heard that the bolt on top is the hardest to get and wanted to know if there was some way of not struggling to much like some kind of tool or something. well sorry for the long post and thanks for yalls help. i just want to get this done right the first time.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need:
10mm deep well socket (driveshaft bracket)
15mm deep well socket (bottom trans bolts and crossmember bolts)
15mm swivel socket (upper trans bolts)
18mm socket (center crossmember bolt)
2 12" extentions (getting to the upper trans bolts)
Pry bar (pop out drive shaft)
Breaker bar (just in case)

1. Start be taking off the Y pipe and I pipe. This will give you alot more room.
2. Support the trans
3. Take off crossmember
4. Take off drive shaft
5. Start loosening the trans bolts
6. Remove trans bolts (keep trans supported)
7. Remove trans

If this is an auto remember to unplug everything and take off the shifter cable.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

is it really necassary to remove the y pipe, because when i installed it i had troubles with leaks and had to weld it together, and im not experienced enough to get in there and start cutting the y pipe then putting it back together. and oh yeah thanks for the help
Old 02-16-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it's not necassary. Like I said it just makes things a bit easier. Can you disconnect the I pipe from the catback? That'll give you atleast a little wiggle room.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

i think that got welded too, but i gotta check cause i dont remember right now
Old 02-16-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gettinthere
You'll need:
10mm deep well socket (driveshaft bracket)
15mm deep well socket (bottom trans bolts and crossmember bolts)
15mm swivel socket (upper trans bolts)
18mm socket (center crossmember bolt)
2 12" extentions (getting to the upper trans bolts)
Pry bar (pop out drive shaft)
Breaker bar (just in case)

1. Start be taking off the Y pipe and I pipe. This will give you alot more room.
2. Support the trans
3. Take off crossmember
4. Take off drive shaft
5. Start loosening the trans bolts
6. Remove trans bolts (keep trans supported)
7. Remove trans

If this is an auto remember to unplug everything and take off the shifter cable.
You make it sound easy.

How hight off the ground, does the car need to be, to remove the transmission from the motor? And how would you lift the car high enough?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98boxer
You make it sound easy.

How hight off the ground, does the car need to be, to remove the transmission from the motor? And how would you lift the car high enough?

Of course a lift would be the best, but put it up on jackstands as high as you can make them go. The higer the car is, the easier it'll go.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:35 PM
LC
TECH Resident

There is a lot more involved, as stated.. you make it sound easy..

- Remove Shaft
- Remove everything attached to the tranny (cables)
- Remove Torq Arm
- Drop crossmember
- Remove cooling lines
- Remove dipstick (damned bolt #1)
- Remove Starter
- Remove Flexplate/Converter bolts (THE BIGGEST PAIN EVER FOR ME)
- Drop the tranny from the back to get the top bolts (easy if you have a lot of extensions)
- Put it back up and align it, pull hard so it separates from engine
- Lower it
- Done

It's no easy task for sure.. And doing it with standard jacks sucks. Do-able but SUCKS, never again i will do it without a tranny jack.

Oh, and my jackstands (standard 3ton ones) dont go high enough to take out the tranny, at least with the bellhousing... So you may need to go higher..
Old 02-16-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew I was forgetting something. The torque arm isn't too tough to do. I didn't mention the dipstick and lines b/c it's fairly obvious and he shouldn't need to take out the converter and flexplate just to have the trans re-built.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

so the converter doesnt come out with the transmission then? i wanted to go ahead and upgrade my converter. So if I wanted to take out the converter i have to take out the transmission then the converter is still there and i have to unbolt it or what? i know it might be a dumb question but im a newbi with the transmission, thanks for yalls help so far.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gettinthere
I knew I was forgetting something. The torque arm isn't too tough to do. I didn't mention the dipstick and lines b/c it's fairly obvious and he shouldn't need to take out the converter and flexplate just to have the trans re-built.
not the flexplate, but you have to separate the converter from the flexplate.. However, he got a Stall so maybe he wont have a problem loosing those bolts.

To my understanding, he wants to drop the tranny in his garage, but he is not going to rebuild it, so his tranny will have a trip to other place..

And if you want to remove the tranny you have to remove the converter from the flexplate, how the hell would you put it back on with the converter still bolted to the flexplate?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get ready for some fun, I just swaped converters in mine and it was more work than I expected. As far as removing your exhaust, I think It needs to come off, I tried to do mine with it on but the y pipe got in the way, so i pulled it. Oh, and when you pull your tc bolts, buy a 2 ft extension and thank me later. just feed the extension in through the k member into the trans so it ends up out be the swaybar, it was way easier than maneuvering a ratchet in there. and when you put it back in, try to get the dipstick in before you bolt the trans back up, that would have been a lot easier.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I pulled a th350 from an lsx car yesterday in 2 1/2 hours using a floor jack and jackstands. I had never pulled one out before, and I didn't have an air compressor. Take the converter out with the transmission, it allows you to drop everything straight down. I didn't remove the starter.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jpolser
I pulled a th350 from an lsx car yesterday in 2 1/2 hours using a floor jack and jackstands. I had never pulled one out before, and I didn't have an air compressor. Take the converter out with the transmission, it allows you to drop everything straight down. I didn't remove the starter.
you did not have to remove the starter because the TH350 does have half bellhousing.. the 4L60E is full bellhousing..