Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy converter... some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Want to buy converter... some ?'s

I want to buy a 4k stall converter for my 98 T/A after reading how much you guys love them! The only think is.. i dont know what else i will need to buy to go along with it. I know i will need a Tranny Cooler, and probably a temerature guage... and maybe a shift kit.. and i dont know what else. Will i need a tune after i install it? I would like to wait until i install a cam before i get a tune. What all do i need to buy to safely install a converter. I dont want it to hurt my tranny. I want to do it right the first time. Should i flush the transmission and put new fluid like royal purple in or something? Also, who has the best deals on them right now? Thanks in advance?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get some tunning done to help with drivability IMO. Also take a look @ Fuddle ---> for the best deals.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i made a post about rebuilding in the "should i install the yank?" thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/499693-should-i-install-yank.html

Last edited by RICEETER; 05-03-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICEETER
i made a post about rebuilding in the "should i install the yank?" thread. read it
If you're gonna quote it...link it.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zspot98
If you're gonna quote it...link it.

YES SIR! im glad you're out keeping everyone under control. without you this board would be PURE $H!T
Old 05-03-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL thanks a lot for the opinions and keeping me in check. I wonder how many people on this board have done a tranny rebiuld before they installed there TC? I know I didn't and still have no problems to date, but your post in the thread "should i install the yank?" has made me change my thought process. Also your original response was to a person who was already having problems w/ there tranny unlike this thread where he was wanting to know what he'd need (assuming his tranny his in good working order).

Last edited by zspot98; 05-03-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zspot98
LOL thanks a lot for the opinions and keeping me in check. I wonder how many people on this board have done a tranny rebiuld before they installed there TC? I know I didn't and still have no problems to date, but your post in the thread "should i install the yank?" has made me change my thought process. Also your original response was to a person who was already having problems w/ there tranny unlike this thread where he was wanting to know what he'd need (assuming his tranny his in good working order).
this i understand, but i rebuilt mine and wasnt having a single problem out of it. i just went ahead and done it while i had the tranny out, hoping it would buy me alot more time before i had to buy a tranny. that is all i was trying to say.

btw, glad i could lend a helping hand in on your prob.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea... my tranny is fine... it only has 64k miles on it and i dont really want to rebuild it if i dont have to. I dont drive the car that hard and it's not a daily driver. I only drive it on the weekends. and sometimes ill go two weeks without driving it. I just want to make sure that i keep things "cool" with the fluid, and dont burn anything up, or trash my Tranny. if i need to rebuild before i install the TC then i will though. It's just that no one else on this board mentioned that as a part of installing a TC, that's all.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no, its definately not a must but i was just strongly recommending it. its more or less a safety issue. i was saying that you could do it now while you had the tranny out and it would save you time down the road, thats all.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

I did not rebuild mine until 2 years later,my tranny lasted longer than it was suppose to. I love my TC though, I would definatly recommend Yank to anyone, but lately everyone has been talking about Fuddle. Just call them up and see which company you feel better with.