Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLP IV tranny goes out again..................

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLP IV tranny goes out again..................

4th one in 4 years and I've never been to a track, street driving only with street tires
Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Flt or Flp?

Last edited by mattsls1; 05-30-2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you go to a TH400 or a built 4L80e after the 2nd or 3rd time? You have 436 cubic inches. I guarantee you just because it doesn't see track time you don't abuse the hell outta that tranny! I would go a different route if I were you..
Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

street driving is probably why they keep going bad.From what i hear the clutch tolerances are alot different for a daily driven trans compared to a racing trans.The tighter tolerances of the racing trans cant hold up to the everyday street driving.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a hold of Rodney ar RPM....I cracked my $$$$ Rossler 4L60E, and he built me a nice trans...very happy with his work.

http://www.notasponsor.com/

Last edited by Patrick G; 06-06-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

I don't mean to sound like a dick bro, but if you're going to put all that money in a 436 "super stroker" at least go to a built 4L80E or a TH-400 and be done with it If you built that kind of motor and now you have no money for the right transmission then you shouldn't have built such a big motor expensive. A 4L60E just isn't going to cut it. It just wasn't designed to handle that much torque, even street driving. I have a friend with a 4X4, running 44 inch tires with a stock 4.8 had been through 6 4L60E's in 3 years and I wish I could put it through his skull that a 4L80E swap or a turbo 400 is his only option. I mean $6000+ later think of the other stuff he could have done to his truck. That's just my opinion. I just hate to see people going through this trouble over and over again.

Last edited by NastyNate; 05-30-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

What is the problem? Do you have the vacuum modulator installed properly? What type of transmission fluid are you using? Do you have transmission cooler? And is it installed properly? Was the converter inspected before you re-installed it? There are many cars out there making more power than your car that have the FLT/FLP transmission without any problems.

Sometimes parts fail.
Sometimes it's installation/programming error.
Sometimes it's customer abuse.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Something is definitely wrong. I certainly don't require a new trans every year for my 427.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a fully built 4l80 for sale with converter a 3600 stall. will bolt right up~
Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I think something is killing your trans. Not your trans killing itself...

My .02
Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you really shouldn't be killing your trans with your set up as often as you do....heat is probably the main reason....try another trans builder, royal purple tranny fluid, and a BIG cooler....make sure the tune is appropriate for the trans (shifting, etc).

sdb
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by SDB
you really shouldn't be killing your trans with your set up as often as you do....heat is probably the main reason....try another trans builder, royal purple tranny fluid, and a BIG cooler....make sure the tune is appropriate for the trans (shifting, etc).

sdb
FLT/FLP does not suggest using Royal Purple.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Something must be wrong with your setup there are alot of car with stroker motor setups running FLP/FLT 4L60Es in them without problems for years. Have you called and talked to Chuck is there a common problem with your failures?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SHOPDOG
It's funny how you say 4 in 4 years when I do a search on your treads you've had more issues with that stroker overheating and what not. Oil in the antifreeze, overheating, manual down shifting, racing from a roll....I could go on all day. These are all things that effect the life of a trans. I found this while doing a quick search...https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/175561-flp-serious-customer-service.html. Man sounds like Chuck has gone way out of his way for a customer like you. Most trans companies would just laugh at you after reading your posts and wouldn't touch a trans for you. I wouldn't blame them. I do believe FLT builds a great product and you on here isn't helping your cause.
That threads just shows I'm appreciative, what was your point? Chuck was good enough to send me some parts after my 3 month old tranny disintegrated on me while cruising at 40mph down a street. I think that was tranny #4. Less than 1 year later I had no manual downshifting, the same problem I got with tranny #2 and #3. Then 1 more year later (3 days ago) it failed.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SHOPDOG
It's funny how you say 4 in 4 years when I do a search on your treads you've had more issues with that stroker overheating and what not. Oil in the antifreeze, overheating, manual down shifting, racing from a roll....I could go on all day. These are all things that effect the life of a trans. I found this while doing a quick search...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175561. Man sounds like Chuck has gone way out of his way for a customer like you. Most trans companies would just laugh at you after reading your posts and wouldn't touch a trans for you. I wouldn't blame them. I do believe FLT builds a great product and you on here isn't helping your cause.
Oh and one more thing. My overheating was a clogged condensor, its fixed now. OIl in the coolant is all gone now that my heads were rebuilt. Roll racing is easier on a tranny than launching with slicks at a track. Also, something you foget to mention, coolant leak, which was fixed with a simple bottle of pellets. All things that have nothing to do with a tranny....so again, whats your point?

Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
What is the problem? Do you have the vacuum modulator installed properly? What type of transmission fluid are you using? Do you have transmission cooler? And is it installed properly? Was the converter inspected before you re-installed it? There are many cars out there making more power than your car that have the FLT/FLP transmission without any problems.

Sometimes parts fail.
Sometimes it's installation/programming error.
Sometimes it's customer abuse.
Tranny #1...while cruising at say 65mph and I GRADUALLY add some pedal just to casually pass someone, the rpm's would just free spin. I had to either hit the brake and slow down to about 60mph for it to hook back up OR manually shift it to "3", let it hook and then put it back to "OD".

All of them did this at some point. But accelerating forward would be ok from a stop. Also, all of them lost manual downshifting after awhile too.

I have a tranny cooler. 16,000 or 19,000, can't remember. Fluid, whatever was put in at Norris Motorsports. Its been full since day one. The converter was sent back to PI for a restall, so it was brand new.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SDB

sdb
I have a guy rebuilding it for me this weekend. The cooler I have is either 16 or 19,000. I'll get a new tune right after.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maddboost
Something must be wrong with your setup there are alot of car with stroker motor setups running FLP/FLT 4L60Es in them without problems for years. Have you called and talked to Chuck is there a common problem with your failures?
I e-mailed him at his FLP address about 6 months ago when my tranny stopped manually downshifting agian, but I didn't hear back. I didn't try again because I really expected to have a 4L80E built back than.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

So....what rebuild kit and parts should I buy, and from where for this weekends rebuild?

Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 AM
Restricted User

Quickin...you do know roll racing, can be more severe punishment on your trans right? Like, your cruisin at 40, punch it, when it downshifts, it shocks the internals very very hard, which not many OD transmissions like, Ford or GM. Also, in MHO, that cooler is too small for your trans, unless you know what the temp is cruisin and under WOT (as you normally drive it and Roll Race it) I would opt for a larger cooler. Do you manually upshift as well as down? From my experience, manual shifting the 60E is going to accellerate its puking.