Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a4 launch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 launch

ok so i have an 02 cam z28 and its auto .... if you hold the brake and rev it to about 3000 rpm then at go leter rip does it give you a better launch then just punching it? i raced another cam 02 z yesterday while using the brake method and had about 1 1/2 cars from the launch...i have k@n cia, slp cat backs and speed chip so it might not have been the launch but the mods....anyway does anyone really know which technique will give you a better launch
Old 07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were able to brake stall it to 3000 RPM, you have a pretty decent sized torque converter installed. Factory stall speed is around 1,600 RPM. You will have to play with different RPMs to find the best launch technique for your car/tires.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Teching In

oh sorry that was just an estimate of rpm's, what im saying is if it really makes that much of a diffrence, or is it just my mods that pulled me away from the stock z
Old 07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

An auto isn't like a 6 speed. You can't just choose what rpm to launch at, you've got to buy a converter for that. You will easily find out what rpm your car will hold, and if it's not good enough, buy yourself a stall!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camkid
oh sorry that was just an estimate of rpm's, what im saying is if it really makes that much of a diffrence, or is it just my mods that pulled me away from the stock z
With your mods, you aren't putting down much more than stock. It was probably more a driver's race, but you do have a slight advantage over stock I suppose... not with that chip though.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

I think he is asking opinions on which way launches better.....brake stall it and then launch, or just nail it out of the hole. IMO, one foot on the brake and the other foot giving enough gas to tighten everything up but not spin the tires is the best way. Might be different on cars with a higher than stock stall though, I dont know. Ron
Old 07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rons 5.3
I think he is asking opinions on which way launches better.....brake stall it and then launch, or just nail it out of the hole. IMO, one foot on the brake and the other foot giving enough gas to tighten everything up but not spin the tires is the best way. Might be different on cars with a higher than stock stall though, I dont know. Ron
Ah, I see... yeah, you're right about the best way to do it. Just foot brake it, and it does work the same way with a loose stall as well.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monicaz28
With your mods, you aren't putting down much more than stock. It was probably more a driver's race, but you do have a slight advantage over stock I suppose... not with that chip though.
arnt putting much more than stock?? thats what im saying its more than stock no matter how much, im not bragging about my car because i know it aint **** im just asking which is a better way to launch?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like your doing better than stock...and got him off the line. The way your doing it is the right way, dont sweat it. Ron
Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monicaz28
An auto isn't like a 6 speed. You can't just choose what rpm to launch at, you've got to buy a converter for that.
you rookie, just rev it in N then pull it back into D after you determine what rpm you want to launch at...

my car likes 2,800.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

The best way to launch a 4L60e is to install a 4400 stall converter and stomp the **** out of it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
you rookie, just rev it in N then pull it back into D after you determine what rpm you want to launch at...

my car likes 2,800.

His post is a joke

DON'T do that. Footbrake is the best way.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Teching In

hahahaha i know...i did that in my old eclipse and it felt like the tranny flew out of the car hahahhahaha and then later that week i was coasting in nuteral tosave gas and accidently threw it in reverse at mph.....hahahhahahaha that was a fun ride,lost allpower includingpower steering!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i accidently did that in my car......it didnt lock up the tires just stalled the car was more like it was neutral.....oooops
Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

hahahaha i know...i did that in my old eclipse and it felt like the tranny flew out of the car hahahhahaha and then later that week i was coasting in nuteral tosave gas and accidently threw it in reverse at mph.....hahahhahahaha that was a fun ride,lost allpower includingpower steering!

I've always wondered what would happen if you would accidently put the car in reverse while you are crusing on the highway. Just wondered, would never do it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe tires play a part in this too, with my old car when I tried to foot brake it I would spin all day, but when I was able to just feather it from the start and get traction I did much better. But with my new Z I'm able to launch at higher RPM's and still maintain traction pretty well, and get better launches compared to feathering it until I can get traction, but I have nice tires on this car.. Obviously the best thing you can do for an A4 is a stall, but if you don't have the money... like Me... just use whatever you think works best.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k

my car likes 2,800.

and you do this?....i did it once on acident when the shifter moved forward and it revved to over 3k rpms....i was at a stop by it went back into drive at 3k rpms and the car doesnt like that....its slamming the transmission
Old 07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by staringback05
and you do this?....i did it once on acident when the shifter moved forward and it revved to over 3k rpms....i was at a stop by it went back into drive at 3k rpms and the car doesnt like that....its slamming the transmission
no...it was a joke. but my car does like the 2,800 rpm launches. of course, that's the most i can torque up my 4k stall / 373 gear without pushing the front tires.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

I preload the converter so that the drivetrain is preloaded and doesn't explode at WOT.

Mike
Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

arnt putting much more than stock?? thats what im saying its more than stock no matter how much, im not bragging about my car because i know it aint **** im just asking which is a better way to launch?
I wasn't trying to bash your car. I was commenting about what you said about you may have won because of the mods... and you have very little over stock. That's a fact, but I wasn't trying to downplay your car's power. Hell, stock Ls1's are not slow. There are tons of other factors that come into play when racing.... If launching is an issue for you, I would go for a stall.